Turn on thread page Beta

I suffer from Student Syndrome, what is the cure? watch

ReputationRep:
    The condition is usually self limiting and resolves itself without treatment.

The condition is especially common with young adults, mostly in the range 18-21 although it does affect some people at older ages. It appears to affect males and females equally. In a sample of 100 people suffering from student syndrome, 72 were free from symptoms after three years, with 20 experiencing symptoms for a further year and 8 suffering chronic symptoms. However of the 72, a small number experienced a one year relapse a few years later.

Rarely is the condition fatal however the long term prognosis of student syndrome is a controversial topic, with some evidence to suggest it can have an adverse impact on the sufferer's long term financial health, sense of self-esteem and employment prospects. A sample of 34 long term unemployed people in 2006-2008 revealed that 14 of them had suffered from student syndrome in the preceding decade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arekkusu)
    If you do get on and do one of these things (particularly things like cleaning your room) you'll realise it actually took like 5 minutes AND made you feel better about yourself, made your head clearer. I expect your head is foggy all the time and so you can't be bothered to do anything as it all seems like a right slog.

This fog is latent worry. Think of worry as you would think of interest on a credit card. You really do want to pay it off in full every month, otherwise you're throwing money into a black hole.
    wow, it's like you know me better than i know myself. cos like, there's always something I should have done 5 minutes ago.

ReputationRep:
    this forum was created for people who are procrastinating

ReputationRep:
    Take it from someone who's failed a year (though that wasn't entirely through the fault of my own)- do it now, or these "scared" feelings will overtake your life and make it worse later. It's also not as bad as your mind makes you think when you're doing the menial tasks rather than the more important ones. It's just a case of willpower.

I think the best advice I got was when I was told to make small aims, then increase them progressively. For example, I'll make the aim to do an hour of work. when the hour is done, if I REALLY need to I'll go and take a break- make myself a snack or something and sit down and relax. But often, after the hour is over I'll think to myself that I'll wait until I've finished something I'm working on, or will go for another 10/20 minutes. It sounds simple, but it means that instead of being daunted by a task, you break it down and it becomes more manageable to the point where you'll start increasing your aims and not being as intimidated by them. Also, another way to do it is to not be too hard on yourself if you don't quite do as well as you wanted to do with whatever you're doing, for example sometimes I'll aim to finish 5 lectures and only get 2 or 3 done. It's about giving yourself leeway too and if you make yourself feel bad even though you've been doing what you needed to do, you'll feel hopeless and the scared feelings will come back. Same goes for an essay, if you plan in advance to finish it X number of days before a deadline, and you don't manage to do that even though you're doing the work, at least you'll have some leeway between then and the deadline in order for you to be able to complete it.

ReputationRep:
    I suffer from Stockholm syndrome, unfortunately.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.