The Student Room Group

Tuition fee warning over four-year language courses

Tuition fee warning over four-year language courses

By Sean Coughlan
BBC News education correspondent

There are fears that £36,000 fees for four-year language courses could put off students

University language departments are warning that the increase in tuition fees in England could undermine their ability to recruit students.

Many language degrees include an extra year abroad - and there are fears that students will not want to pay up to £36,000 for a four-year course.

The organisation representing language departments is asking ministers for a fee subsidy for the extra year.

The government says it has ordered a review of support for modern languages.

But the University Council for Modern Languages is worried that students will be expected to apply for courses without knowing whether they will be charged the full price for four years.

'Urgent statement'

They fear that the doubt surrounding fee support - and the prospect of paying an extra £9,000 for another year - will put off students.

The group's chairman, Prof James Coleman, says that at present many students on four-year courses have subsidised fees for the year abroad - with these subsidies paid through the funding council to universities.

But there has still not been any clarification on what will happen to about 17,000 language students when the fee system is changed in 2012.
Flag Language departments want the government to fly the flag for their subjects

Prof Coleman is writing to Universities Minister David Willetts calling for a waiver on fees for a year abroad.

"The government urgently needs to make a statement that they will support a year abroad and to moderate the impact of higher fees," says Prof Coleman.

"Potential students are already looking at courses," he says.

Prof Coleman says universities and students will need to know by the summer the detail of what support will be available.

He says students must be told "they will not be financially penalised for taking a four-year language degree".

Review ordered

In response, a Department for Business, Innovation and Skills spokesperson said: "The government recognises the important contribution of modern languages to our university system.

"We have asked the Higher Education Funding Council for England to review what support modern languages, and other strategic and vulnerable subjects, should receive from 2012."

This review is expected to report back in the autumn.

But language departments are worried that there needs to be a more rapid response - otherwise students might opt to avoid languages.

Baroness Coussins, chair of the All-Party Parliamentary Group on languages, is to voice her concern in the House of Lords this week.

Essex University is taking its own action - with plans to fund its own subsidy when fees are increased, so that language students will not pay any fees for the extra fourth year. (:love:)

"The reason for the nil fee for the year abroad is that we wish to encourage students to take advantage of the opportunity to study abroad, because international experience... makes them more mature, more employable, more confident and independent, and more culturally aware."

University language departments are already under pressure, with concerns about a lack of applications.

The University of the West of England is currently consulting on withdrawing all modern language courses.

"We have subsidised this area for many years in the hope it would bounce back but this doesn't appear to be the case. Strategically we need to meet other student demand," said a university spokesperson.

University language departments have been affected by the diminishing number of school students taking A-levels and GCSEs in modern languages.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-12893629

What do you think?
I have heard that there have been a decrease in number of students taking modern languages in the recent years, that's why government has been encouraging people to take GCSE modern language. I personally think languages are very very good skill to have, however, to anyone who are planning to do modern languages degree - would you be put off by the fees?
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What about the med/dent/vet students who have 5/6 year courses?
Original post by No Future
What about the med/dent/vet students who have 5/6 year courses?

That's exactly what I was thinking. Med students are in a much much worse position, IMO.
Plus, they are more important to the economy. I value language degree, however, if any degree should be subsidised,, it should be med/dent/vet students.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by street.lovin'
That's exactly what I was thinking. Med students are in a much much worse position, IMO.
Plus, they are more important to the economy. I value language degree, however, if any degree should be subsidised,, it should be med/dent/vet students.

Medicine or vet degrees won't fall in demand due to the costs, though.
Original post by Muffinz
Medicine or vet degrees won't fall in demand due to the costs, though.

Hmm... yeah that is a very very good point. But then you don't have to do languages at universities anyway. There are evening courses and stuffs that you can take up which are probably much cheaper. So if there are cheaper alternatives, then surely there is no need to get all fussy about this. :dontknow:

This is just my opinion, though. I do value language degrees. I just would like to have some discussion with you guys about this news. :smile:
Doesn't this topic interest anyone at all? :s-smilie:
I thought there were quite a lot of language students on TSR. =.=
I thought most people didn't pay fees or only half fees when they are on their year abroad anyway?
Reply 7
It does not bother me. As an international student anyway, whichever course I aim for would have fees around that too. But I'm quite interested in languages and I want to study languages so, yeah ...
Original post by fortunecookie
I thought most people didn't pay fees or only half fees when they are on their year abroad anyway?

I don't know to be honest.

Just waiting for TSRians who are doing such courses to come to this thread and enlighten me. =.=
I don't know to be honest.

Just waiting for TSRians who are doing such courses to come to this thread and enlighten me. =.=

Ahh okay, obviously this will probably change but for the course I've applied for if you stay within the EU you don't have to pay fees as it's done through ERASMUS, but outside the EU you pay half fees. But I think it depends on the links that your univeristy has.

It think that they make the year abroad much more affordable but if you have to pay fees on top of living costs I know that I wouldn't want to be in that much debt.
Original post by fortunecookie

That's the case with everyone I'm aware of studying in Europe. No feeds with the UK university as... You're not really there, and usually a monthly grant or something from the body that sets exchanges and things up.
I love it how people just give in to these fee rises. Its like they are SO confident to pay off a £36,000 debt, then later start a family, have kids, get a mortage and the list goes on and on.
Also I love it how people say medicine students won't be really affected due to their high starting salaries. Well matey, theres still huge tax and bills to pay for people earning high salaries :smile:. Oh I forgot, people don't think too far into the future. They just think that in the short term, "as long as I get a £9000 loan a year, I'm all sorted".

And FYI, Negging me won't stop the fact that you will be working harder and longer to pay off your debts.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
I'd love to know what's happening with the current NHS-funded courses too...
Reply 14
Hmm... yeah that is a very very good point. But then you don't have to do languages at universities anyway. There are evening courses and stuffs that you can take up which are probably much cheaper. So if there are cheaper alternatives, then surely there is no need to get all fussy about this. :dontknow:
There are, but there's absolutely no way you'd gain anything like the proficiency you get in a language degree through some once a week evening class.

Not to mention that med and vet students are obviously actually receiving tuition for those full 5 or 6 years. If you're abroad then you're still paying fees while not having any contact with the university!

But I thought Doctors earn like £100k and above so they can pay of their debts easily right?

Oh I forgot, there is like a 40-50% tax on high salaries, silly me! :smile:
Original post by darknessbehold
But I thought Doctors earn like £100k and above so they can pay of their debts easily right?

Oh I forgot, there is like a 40-50% tax on high salaries, silly me! :smile:

Wtf? Starting salary is £22k.

http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/details/Default.aspx?Id=553

I know that. Im just stating the fact that Doctors can expect to earn upto £100K
Reply 18
It's the same for any student who takes a year out/Intercalated year. Why are they just focusing on Language students? I guess there is the extra cost of living in another country and travel, but other courses offer years abroad, too. And yes, if you do a year out, you pay half fees and get a reduced loan.
Original post by darknessbehold
I know that. Im just stating the fact that Doctors can expect to earn upto £100K

Up to is different from all doctors earn 100k.

Many earn <70k throughout their career

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending