Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    so as of last night we have 3 chickens!! my bro and sis both had one and i chose my own last night and i think its the most beautiful thing
    this is for other people who have the funny little things to discuss them.
    to get the ball rolling we have one rhode island red, one vorwerk and mine is a barnevelder (gorgeous!!)
    haha i'm sad i know

ReputationRep:
    http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/chicken

i joke i joke

ReputationRep:
    We've got four, named them Tikka, Korma, Vindaloo and Geoff. No joke!

ReputationRep:
    I wish I had chickens

I'd film and create a remake of Chicken Run :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    haha my family are vegetarians apart from my dad and even tho they were called pip and ginger dad still called them Korma and Tikka... silly silly

ReputationRep:
    I hope you're not talking about FarmVille.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForensicShoe)
    That would be amazingly funny!

We have 8 chickens: Humphrey, Doula, Harriet, Lucy, Elenanor, to name a few!
    Chickens are such amazing creatures, and are very intelligent!
    Love love love them. :heart:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkWhite)
    I hope you're not talking about FarmVille.
    lol nope!!

ReputationRep:
    I love their little cooing noises ^_^
    Don't understand why people eat them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stephie.u3)
    so as of last night we have 3 chickens!! my bro and sis both had one and i chose my own last night and i think its the most beautiful thing
    this is for other people who have the funny little things to discuss them.
    to get the ball rolling we have one rhode island red, one vorwerk and mine is a barnevelder (gorgeous!!)
    haha i'm sad i know
    Hey, you r not sad at all!!
    I love chickens too...only prob is i dont have any....(sad face..).
    I really want to get some but dont live in a country side so dont how tht would work out??

Btw,how have you kept your chickens? I have a back garden, is tht enough space??
    Any advise would be appriciated, thx!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Error)

yeaa they make me laugh, they are unbelievably soft and shiny too...mine are called pip, heidi and coco

ReputationRep:
    yeaa they make me laugh, they are unbelievably soft and shiny too...mine are called pip, heidi and coco
    Uber cuteeeeee.

How old are yours?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pHneutral)
    I really want to get some but dont live in a country side so dont how tht would work out??

Btw,how have you kept your chickens? I have a back garden, is tht enough space??
    You don't actually need much space to keep chickens! That's more than enough room ... just ensure that there is enough food and water (AND BE CAREFUL of the dreaded fox)!
    Chickens don't need that much looking after, and it's lovely to get fresh eggs for breakfast!
    Ask anything you like (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pHneutral)

we have a section cornered off in our back garden with a three storey hut for the three of them in it. they like to be close together when they sleep so a hut too large confuses them but you want to give them enough space to run around so we let ours out of their enclosure for a bit everyday. they are easy to look after, just feed them with pellets (cheap enough in massive bags) or vegetable peelings etc. and watch out for them pecking each other...we found that the lady we bought them off was great help so if you got any i'm sure you'd find the same
    definitely worth it and we never buy eggs anymore!!
    p.s. i'll pm you a pic when i get home this evening of our garden/ enclosure so you can get an idea of the size

ReputationRep:
    our enclosure is just covered in chicken wire to prevent the foxes and we've had no problems for the past two years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Error)
    Uber cuteeeeee.

How old are yours?
    pip is 2years but we just bought 2 more cos her sister died, they are only a few months...yourss??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Error)

8 chickens!!
    Thats a large number. Coool,
    So do you have to be on cats/fox alert alot of the time?? HOw do you protect so many??
    Ps:sorry for silly questions,im just an inexperienced chickens' fan.lol

ReputationRep:
    We started off small with 2 chickens, Trinny and Susanna... But both have died now ( Susanna only the other day *sniff) and we also have Waffle, Gizmo and Ginger!!

We also ( sorry for the veggies of the world) had 4 chickens this year which we raised for eating, instead of egg laying... They were pretty damn tasty, and HUGE!

With the whole cat situation, all our neighbours cats seemed to be scared of the chickens haha, they never dare get close to their caged area x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForensicShoe)
    I wish I had chickens

That is exactly what I would do

ReputationRep:
    we have a section cornered off in our back garden with a three storey hut for the three of them in it. they like to be close together when they sleep so a hut too large confuses them but you want to give them enough space to run around so we let ours out of their enclosure for a bit everyday. they are easy to look after, just feed them with pellets (cheap enough in massive bags) or vegetable peelings etc. and watch out for them pecking each other...we found that the lady we bought them off was great help so if you got any i'm sure you'd find the same
    definitely worth it and we never buy eggs anymore!!
    p.s. i'll pm you a pic when i get home this evening of our garden/ enclosure so you can get an idea of the size
    Oh ok sure.wow thats really helpful info.thanks.
    The things is i really want chickens but want to make sure i csn lookafter them...not get them hurt or eaten by foxes.
    The picture would be useful,
    Also if u can let me know which type exactly/ where from/how much of this chicken wire i need.
    I asked my dad about this many times and his reply was thry wont be too safe and mum told me chickens would take up alot of your time....ahhhh

Do chickens make alot of noise to get us in trouble with the nextdoors??

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 19, 2011
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.