Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarriJ)
    We started off small with 2 chickens, Trinny and Susanna... But both have died now ( Susanna only the other day *sniff) and we also have Waffle, Gizmo and Ginger!!

We also ( sorry for the veggies of the world) had 4 chickens this year which we raised for eating, instead of egg laying... They were pretty damn tasty, and HUGE!

With the whole cat situation, all our neighbours cats seemed to be scared of the chickens haha, they never dare get close to their caged area x
    aww same with the recent death of a chicken...R.I.P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aku-gila)
    That is exactly what I would do
    Great minds think alike

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForensicShoe)
    Great minds think alike
    That's what they say :ahee:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pHneutral)
    Oh ok sure.wow thats really helpful info.thanks.
    The things is i really want chickens but want to make sure i csn lookafter them...not get them hurt or eaten by foxes.
    The picture would be useful,
    Also if u can let me know which type exactly/ where from/how much of this chicken wire i need.
    I asked my dad about this many times and his reply was thry wont be too safe and mum told me chickens would take up alot of your time....ahhhh

Do chickens make alot of noise to get us in trouble with the nextdoors??
    They hardly make any noise and if they do its only wen they lay, the cockerels are the noisy ones!!
    I wasnt with my mum when she bought the chicken wire but i think its pretty easy to get hold of (B&Q, pet shop etc...). it comes in rolls which have quite a lot in and i dont think its that expensive...you can get a better idea of size etc when i send you the pic.
    they dont take up much time at all and its actually really nice to go and let them out and watch them after a long day... it only takes two minutes to clear out thier hut, top up their water and give them some food.
    oh and in the hut its handy to put some sawdust or hay in there to make it more comfortable/ keep them warm
    dont worry bout the qs i'm happy to help!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darknessbehold)
    hilarious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Error)
    Ask anything you like (:
    Ok, i'll throw some questions at the experts here!
    1. If if i choose to get a laying hen only for eggs, how much would it cost me.i asked someone they said 25pounds..
    2. The feeding costs per month for say three chickens?
    3.do i have to have them insured, is it illegal to not insure them?
    4.temperature is a concern, summer is coming, would they not die out of hot? How are they effected by snow,rain?
    5. What would be cost of chicken wire??
    Thanks!!

Lol..getting lots of chicken help here,reps for everyone!

ReputationRep:
    Have you named them? My friend had a chicken and she named it Nugget

ReputationRep:
    Ok, i'll throw some questions at the experts here!
    1. If if i choose to get a laying hen only for eggs, how much would it cost me.i asked someone they said 25pounds..
    2. The feeding costs per month for say three chickens?
    3.do i have to have them insured, is it illegal to not insure them?
    4.temperature is a concern, summer is coming, would they not die out of hot? How are they effected by snow,rain?
    5. What would be cost of chicken wire??
    Thanks!!

Lol..getting lots of chicken help here,reps for everyone!
    right, fit this in before lunch ends...
    i think ours were 15pounds...well worth the money and as far as i'm aware (which is pretty much certain) they dont have to be insured.

in summer they love sitting in the sunshine and will move into the shade when they feel necessary, just give them lots of water. In winter they are fine because they have thick skin on their legs and they just fluff up their feathers, just give them extra hay/sawdust in their hut. they are waterproof so rain isnt an issue but we have a tarpaulin over our enclosure so it doesnt get muddy when it rains.

one bag of feed will last more than a month...they arent expensive(less than a tenner??)

chicken wire from B&Q seems to cost £20 for ten metre roll but they aren't the cheapest place to get it from

think thats everything!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bella Occhi)
    Have you named them? My friend had a chicken and she named it Nugget
    ginger, heidi, coco

ReputationRep:
    oh another quick question to TSRers here, what type of chickens/ breed would you reccomend me if i wanted only for eggs??
    How long to they take to settle into a new home??
    Anyone know a good place to buy them from?? There is only one place i know off and thts perfect poultry in guildford-seems very expensive though as i am looking to get at least three checkens..
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I had some piri piri chicken?

ReputationRep:
    Also i have a large ****

ReputationRep:
    oh another quick question to TSRers here, what type of chickens/ breed would you reccomend me if i wanted only for eggs??
    How long to they take to settle into a new home??
    Anyone know a good place to buy them from?? There is only one place i know off and thts perfect poultry in guildford-seems very expensive though as i am looking to get at least three checkens..
    Thanks
    If you look around on google, you will find something that tells you how many eggs per year... But out of ours, the Light Sussex was the best (white with black around the neck)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stephie.u3)
    right, fit this in before lunch ends...
    i think ours were 15pounds...well worth the money and as far as i'm aware (which is pretty much certain) they dont have to be insured.

in summer they love sitting in the sunshine and will move into the shade when they feel necessary, just give them lots of water. In winter they are fine because they have thick skin on their legs and they just fluff up their feathers, just give them extra hay/sawdust in their hut. they are waterproof so rain isnt an issue but we have a tarpaulin over our enclosure so it doesnt get muddy when it rains.

one bag of feed will last more than a month...they arent expensive(less than a tenner??)

chicken wire from B&Q seems to cost £20 for ten metre roll but they aren't the cheapest place to get it from

think thats everything!!
    Lol...that indeed was very helpful.
    Now i just want to know where can i getsome chickens around 15pounds each as tht seems a good price!!
    Apart from this i'll pm you if i have any more questions if u dont mind.

ReputationRep:
    To all the chicken lovers and owners,
    I HAVE decided then after the discussion on this thread...that finally i am getting some chickens asap.
    All that leaves between getting the chickens is one last step.
    Convincing my lovely mum-who will go crazy if i got them without her cincent obviously!

So if anyone can post/pm me of any convincing arguements as to why it is a must that we have chickens...just to help me prepare for the dinner discussion tonight with everyone (BTW i bet they will be enjoying a chicken currey very heartlessely and expecting me to convince them thatwithout chickens life is not fun).

Any pros for it would be appriciated??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SummerAnthems)
    We've got four, named them Tikka, Korma, Vindaloo and Geoff. No joke!
    I like the fact that you've called them all after dishes, and then you get "Geoff"

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone else think of KFC after reading that?

ReputationRep:
    I think I have about 45 now. Started off with 2 Appenzellers 12 years ago and started breeding them. Try finding enough people to offload 30+ eggs a day onto!

ReputationRep:
    I think Ive got about 20 at the moment!! I am trying to sell a couple of cockerals at the moment. I breed Partridge Pekins and I also have 14 laying hens as well

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 19, 2011
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.