Turn on thread page Beta

Chickens!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Error)
    You don't actually need much space to keep chickens! That's more than enough room ... just ensure that there is enough food and water (AND BE CAREFUL of the dreaded fox)!
    Chickens don't need that much looking after, and it's lovely to get fresh eggs for breakfast!
    Ask anything you like (:
    I really want a chicken!!!

A few questions...

Do they prefer to be in groups? Should I buy it as a chick or a chicken?I hear good breeds are dosile, would you say that's plausible? Do they need lots of cleaning? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stephie.u3)
    pip is 2years but we just bought 2 more cos her sister died, they are only a few months...yourss??
    Aw, I'm sorry.

Mine range from about 2-4years old - they all lay.
    I'll be getting chicks, and baby turkeys soon! So excitedddd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pHneutral)
    x
    It's not that large! We've had about 30 chickens at one stage - we rescued them (they were battery hens, who had supposedly reached the end of their egg laying use for the factories, so were going to be killed). It was strange putting them on the grass, and all they were doing was looking: they wouldn't move at all. It took about 2weeks until they started exploring the garden properly, and acting like proper chickens! They were lovely, and every single chicken has it's own character.

Def. all the time. Foxes are the worst. I'm thankful that each time the fox has paid us a visit, we've managed (in some cases: a millionth of a second) to scare it away. The only reason though, is because we let them wander the garden, and be where ever they want to be. We don't have a fence or anything like that too keep them in because they just love exploring.

It's fine! You should get some ... they're no bother at all. Much better than a cat or dog. Honest. :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stephie.u3)
    we have a section cornered off in our back garden with a three storey hut for the three of them in it. they like to be close together when they sleep so a hut too large confuses them but you want to give them enough space to run around so we let ours out of their enclosure for a bit everyday. they are easy to look after, just feed them with pellets (cheap enough in massive bags) or vegetable peelings etc. and watch out for them pecking each other...we found that the lady we bought them off was great help so if you got any i'm sure you'd find the same
    definitely worth it and we never buy eggs anymore!!
    p.s. i'll pm you a pic when i get home this evening of our garden/ enclosure so you can get an idea of the size
    Aren't they spoilt?! 3 storey hut ... when can I move in??

Please can I see the photo too?
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    I am making an assumption that everyone on TSR are vegetarians. I love chickens, not to take care of them though, in another way if you get what I mean.....

ReputationRep:
    Ok, i'll throw some questions at the experts here!
    Eggs-pert!

1) I think that's really on the expensive side ...! Don't buy the chickens from pet stores like Jolly, they'll charge you an arm and a leg.
    2) 3 chickens? It'll be really cheap. Ermm - a large bag (will find out how many kg it is later) of seeds / egg layer pellets costs about £15 max, and it'll last the 3 chickens for a couple of months. Don't over feed them, because they won't lay eggs. We eat alot of fruits and vegetables, so with the peelings, and bits of the fruit/veg, we just cut it up into small chunks and mix it in with their food. They love it. (Chickens are scavengers, and will eat anything!). I've found that mine LOVE cheese ... but only in VERY small amounts and not every week either!
    3) :P nope! No insurance is required.
    4) None of mine have died of the heat ... if I remember correctly (& I could be wrong), but I believe most chicken originate from India which is a fairly hot country. Just insure that there is some shade, and there is plenty of water. Normally when it's hot, they take mud baths (dig a small hole, and throw mud over themselves - helps them clean their feathers), and just generally lie around. They don't really mind any weather (apart from thunderstorms!). We had about a couple of inches of snow this year, and they stil insisted on going outside, and exploring. It's raining right now, and they are still pecking, or hiding under bushes.
    5) I'm not sure on the cost of the chicken wire.

Fire away any more that you might have.
    (:

ReputationRep:
    I work on a farm with chickens and its quite fun strangely,they are quite cute when they are running about and pecking.I'm not this soppy normally btw XD Just with chickens.But we have over ten thousand chickens here though.

ReputationRep:
    I asked my dad about this many times and his reply was thry wont be too safe and mum told me chickens would take up alot of your time....ahhhh

Do chickens make alot of noise to get us in trouble with the nextdoors??
    Chickens don't take up alot of time at all. Their requirements are very simple, and if these are met then they are perfectly content.

Chickens hardly make any noise, unless they sense that there is danger nearby (like a fox approaching or even a neighbour!), or in some cases, when they lay eggs (but this is rarely). The neighbours won't be bothered about the chickens - they're very quiet. HOWEVER, if you have a rooster (male chicken), then they do make ALOT of noise, crowing at all times of the day, and start from dawn when the sun rises until the sun goes down.

ReputationRep:
    oh another quick question to TSRers here, what type of chickens/ breed would you reccomend me if i wanted only for eggs??
    How long to they take to settle into a new home??
    Anyone know a good place to buy them from?? There is only one place i know off and thts perfect poultry in guildford-seems very expensive though as i am looking to get at least three checkens..
    Thanks
    Rhode Island Reds ... they're the very best at laying eggs, and I think they'll be perfect for your first batch of chickens!
    It won't take them that long, but for the first week or so, (if you get chickens, and not chicks) they will be pecking each other - this is perfectly normal, it's called the pecking order, and it's just to establish who's the leader, and all that.
    Do you have a budget?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlski)
    I think I have about 45 now. Started off with 2 Appenzellers 12 years ago and started breeding them. Try finding enough people to offload 30+ eggs a day onto!
    oh wow! That's awesome.
    I bet you love omelete.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chickensaregreat)
    I think Ive got about 20 at the moment!! I am trying to sell a couple of cockerals at the moment. I breed Partridge Pekins and I also have 14 laying hens as well
    Partridge pekins are absolutely gorgeous and they're mega smart. I had a golden one called Winnie. I find that they're very broody though.
    How much do you sell the cockerals for?

(:

ReputationRep:
    my boyfriend has three at home.. i think three anyway, i'm kinda scared of them so i dont to stick around to count. :p: also one of them was ill when we were last at home, so dunno if its still around. he also has five cats and havent had any problems with the cats attacking the chickens. i think cos the chickens are so huge the cats are a bit intimidated.

i can see the appeal, they are cute and funny (they get let out of the enclosure for a little while each day.. one of them managed to get into the kitche and attempted to eat the cat food - the cats faces were brilliant!) butt i have a phobia of birds so its just not happening for me,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emma.191)
    I really want a chicken!!!

A few questions...

Do they prefer to be in groups? Should I buy it as a chick or a chicken?I hear good breeds are dosile, would you say that's plausible? Do they need lots of cleaning? Thanks!
    Chickens are the best pets ever, not that I'm biased or anything!

Chickens are very sociable creatures, so it's pretty much a must that you should have atleast 2.
    If you buy them as chicks (like a day old), they're going to need an infrared light which was slightly expensive, and you have to keep it on day and night for a while. If you buy chickens (from 6months), then they will be point of lay meaning that they will start to lay eggs for you once they settle into their new home.
    It really depends on what you think you can handle ... having chicks means that'll you'll constantly need to check them, change their water, make them food and clean their box. As the weather is warming up, I think now will be the best time to buy chicks. Chickens - you can buy them whenever really. (Just make sure that the person selling you the chickens aren't lying about their age!!)
    Do you want the chickens for egg laying or eating?

Check out this website: http://www.pallensmith.com/articles/...ds-to-consider

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OddThings)
    I work on a farm with chickens and its quite fun strangely,they are quite cute when they are running about and pecking.I'm not this soppy normally btw XD Just with chickens.But we have over ten thousand chickens here though.
    I love chickens! :heart:
    They're so inquistive.
    wooow! Over 10,000? That's loadsssss.
    What does the farm do with the chickens - meat or eggs?
    What do they feed them - just corn?

(:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samz)
    my boyfriend has three at home.. i think three anyway, i'm kinda scared of them so i dont to stick around to count. :
    ahaha! Don't be scared ... they don't bite, and even if they do peck, they don't have any teeth! It won't hurt abit.

i can see the appeal, they are cute and funny (they get let out of the enclosure for a little while each day.. one of them managed to get into the kitche and attempted to eat the cat food - the cats faces were brilliant!) butt i have a phobia of birds so its just not happening for me,
    That's really funny! I can just imagine - our chickens always want to come into the kitchen, and they seem to worship the fridge because whenever we open it and they're there we give them something from it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Error)
    I love chickens! :heart:
    They're so inquistive.
    wooow! Over 10,000? That's loadsssss.
    What does the farm do with the chickens - meat or eggs?
    What do they feed them - just corn?

(:
    Its a free range egg farm(seriously,they have a whole field to themselves :P) and they are fed this corn mix,but not sure exactly what.I just have to collect the eggs and box them.And scoot the chickens back into the field if they escape.Which is pretty difficult,since there are so many.But they are split into different sheds,so not all at once They would be craazy hard to catch!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OddThings)
    Its a free range egg farm(seriously,they have a whole field to themselves :P) and they are fed this corn mix,but not sure exactly what.I just have to collect the eggs and box them. And scoot the chickens back into the field if they escape.Which is pretty difficult,since there are so many.But they are split into different sheds,so not all at once They would be craazy hard to catch!
    ohhhh - woah! That's awesome.
    Do they ever eat their eggs? Do they lay anywhere then?
    What breed are they?

Chickens are actually really fast!
    (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Error)
    ohhhh - woah! That's awesome.
    Do they ever eat their eggs? Do they lay anywhere then?
    What breed are they?

Chickens are actually really fast!
    (:
    They do eat their eggs,if I drop one when boxing them they eat the gooey yolk.They lay in the barn and it rolls down(its on a slope) onto a conveyor belt and I collect them off that and pack them.I'm not sure what breed they are but they are a rusty light brown colour and fairly large.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlski)
    I think I have about 45 now. Started off with 2 Appenzellers 12 years ago and started breeding them. Try finding enough people to offload 30+ eggs a day onto!
    Wow thats a lot of chickens,
    if you decide at some point to sell/give away chickens, hens let me know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Error)
    Do you have a budget?

Budget for buying chickens goes to only £15/18 each - i only want three.
    Is the breed your suggesting better than light sussex?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 19, 2011
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.