The Student Room Group

Libya intervention? pfft.. This says it all

Scroll to see replies

Foreign leaders always meet others... but yeah, there's no denying that we love £££
Reply 21
Original post by garethDT
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12868074

I agree the farmhouse bit looks dodgy, but even then we don't hear the people speak for themselves.

The first part where he implies the coffins are fake is disgusting.

I heard that many of the bodies had been men so it was impossible to tell if they were civilians or soldiers, but claim the bodies are fake seems a bit much.

That entire farmhouse is fake and badly done. Seems odd to be confused between an 18 year old girl and a 4 year old boy.

There is indeed a propaganda war going on. We can't trust Gadaffi's figures however the West has an interest in playing down figures.
Original post by darknessbehold
Obama Shakes Hands with Gaddafi at the G8 on the 9 July 2009

Still convinced this Libyan Intervention is justifiable?

FYI, those "civilians" that Gaddafi is apparently "killing" are rebel soldiers. This is what happens in times of war.
So far i haven't seen any evidence that Gaddafi is actually torturing his people.

This Libyan Intervention will go out of hand in a few weeks time and then everybody will start protesting about this but ofcourse, it'll be too late then.
I bet you people won't believe any of this but I have my right to an opinion.

I completely agree with you. Invading Libya has nothing to do with the promotion of democracy or protecting civvys.

We have a nation ruled by Al Qaeda within weapons range, then we'll have no choice to invade and grab all the oil, lovely. I heard one representative saying that he wants to see a UN government set up for 2 YEARS.
Reply 23
Original post by Martyn*
Novus Ordo Seclorum.

You'll soon get the picture. Hopefully.

Seriously, you really believe in that new world order stuff? I dunno, I quite like conspiracy theories but it seems a little far fetched :s-smilie:
Reply 24
Original post by darknessbehold
Obama Shakes Hands with Gaddafi at the G8 on the 9 July 2009

Still convinced this Libyan Intervention is justifiable?

FYI, those "civilians" that Gaddafi is apparently "killing" are rebel soldiers. This is what happens in times of war.
So far i haven't seen any evidence that Gaddafi is actually torturing his people.

This Libyan Intervention will go out of hand in a few weeks time and then everybody will start protesting about this but ofcourse, it'll be too late then.
I bet you people won't believe any of this but I have my right to an opinion.

Yeah, you have your right.
But the fact that both Obama and Nicolas Sarkozy one shook hands with him don't mean that what he's done is acceptable. It doesn't seem like you understand much about politics.
His country's a member of the UN: If we hadn't intervened I would have lost all my faith in the UN altogether
Reply 25
Original post by amsie/
Seriously, you really believe in that new world order stuff? I dunno, I quite like conspiracy theories but it seems a little far fetched :s-smilie:

It's far fetched to think rich and powerful people might just get together and have a plan?
Reply 26
Original post by C_B_C

His country's a member of the UN: If we hadn't intervened I would have lost all my faith in the UN altogether

What about Bahrain? The UN aren't intervening there
Reply 27
It's far fetched to think rich and powerful people might just get together and have a plan?

Yes, all the stuff seems a little conflicting tbh from different sources :hmmm:

But is there a rebel force there which is fighting against a dictator, no. That's the difference. Also the fact that we have videos of people being shot in streets in peaceful protest is also another thing with reports suggesting more than 300-1000 people being killed; just at the START of the uprising.
Reply 29

Bahrain has plenty of oil. This shows that the fact that we're not intervening is political, and not about oil.

There's nothing wrong with wanting oil though, but that's another subject and just my personal opinion.
Reply 30
Gaddafis a ****
Original post by In2deep
It proves that their was no principle in the first place that they now seemingly adhere to so dearly.

As for your point, the actual intervention was justified but a few points must be remembered:

1- The intention also greatly matters, I really doubt that humanitarian reasons are the sole cause of this intervention, reasons which I'm sure of you know.

2- If the US or NATO are seen to be furthering their self-interest in anyway which is adverse the cause of the Libyan people, their future interests as a sovereign and autonomous country or to meddle in the the future politics of Libya then it is has pretty much destroyed any credibility (if it had any left in the first place) and proves my doubts to be true.

I think what the other person is trying to say is possibly: yes western reasons for intervention may be corrupt or self-interested, but that the intervention still also (incidentally) fulfills humanitarian criteria and that is why he/she supports the intervention as an individual.

Personally, I can't say I'm sorry to see an intervention in Libya. It's not just that Gaddafi is an evil **** to his own people, but also that's he's crazy and imo poses a genuine threat to the rest of the world.

Although, that's only my general (and probably fairly ignorant) impression. I don't know that much about Libya.
Reply 32
In Gaddafi's head, he must think this is the situtation.

Reply 33
Original post by C_B_C
Bahrain has plenty of oil. This shows that the fact that we're not intervening is political, and not about oil.

There's nothing wrong with wanting oil though, but that's another subject and just my personal opinion.

Bahrain is a branch of SA in essense. SA pays its protection money on time month in, month out which Qaddafi tried to emulate but fell short.

Some dictators know how to play the game, some like hussein and qaddafi don't.
Reply 34
Original post by navarre
In Gaddafi's head, he must think this is the situtation.

haha, it pretty much is the situation though in international terms.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending