Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am studying the final year of a Design for Digital Media Degree and this year due to lack of motivation, bad health I've just not felt I've put my best in and I'm stuck on grades just over the pass mark. I have had no restarts so far, but I've been told by one of the lecturers that you cannot redo the 3rd year. Is this correct?
    I've read that you can receive the student loan for up to 4 years (you are allowed one restart) so what is the reality of this? I just want some advice before I go into my University and talk about it. I want to start the whole 3rd year again in September with a fresh start.

Thanks, Ben

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djparce)
    I am studying the final year of a Design for Digital Media Degree and this year due to lack of motivation, bad health I've just not felt I've put my best in and I'm stuck on grades just over the pass mark. I have had no restarts so far, but I've been told by one of the lecturers that you cannot redo the 3rd year. Is this correct?
    I've read that you can receive the student loan for up to 4 years (you are allowed one restart) so what is the reality of this? I just want some advice before I go into my University and talk about it. I want to start the whole 3rd year again in September with a fresh start.

Thanks, Ben
    You usually can't resit the third year - However one of my friends has restarted third year because he had mitigating circumstances that allowed it. If it's just lack of motivation they'll say no. If you have a proven medical thing affecting you now that will have gone by September or be under control then it's worth considering. Especially if you're first and second year marks (when you weren't ill) were significantly higher than this years marks.

ReputationRep:

Thanks, Ben
    You need to separate out the rules about Student Finance - which do allow one repeated year - and the individual uni's rules about being allowed to retake a year. I suspect what your lecturer is telling you is that there is no mechanism at your uni that would allow you just to start your third year all over again. Depending on the circumstances, it may be worth asking the Students' Union for advice on pursuing this if you feel that you should be allowed to because of your particular situation.

ReputationRep:
    The lack of motivation is down to anxiety and a side effect of medication I am on, I have reported this to the University a few months ago. I'm just so behind on the current term and the independent study that I'm doing that I doubt I can even pull it together for even a 3rd class honour. Thanks for the advice though. I guess the retake is only allowed for the 1st and 2nd years? I did not do the first two years at a university, I did these at a college and gained a foundation degree. Which allowed me to go onto the 3rd year, which when I got into university I was not ready for the level of study. Thanks for the advice.

ReputationRep:
    The lack of motivation is down to anxiety and a side effect of medication I am on, I have reported this to the University a few months ago. I'm just so behind on the current term and the independent study that I'm doing that I doubt I can even pull it together for even a 3rd class honour. Thanks for the advice though. I guess the retake is only allowed for the 1st and 2nd years? I did not do the first two years at a university, I did these at a college and gained a foundation degree. Which allowed me to go onto the 3rd year, which when I got into university I was not ready for the level of study. Thanks for the advice.
    In that case I think you should approach the Student Welfare people - through the union usually - and ask for some support in sorting out a way forward, and do this as soon as possible.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the guidance I shall do this tomorrow.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.