Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

My school wont let me get an A* What can I do!? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    well hey i know it's my fault for getting a b! No one's perfect...and I know that i'm capable of an a*. My teacher said that I could re sit, but now they're not allowing me to...and I have seen universities asking for a*'s at gcse's, and they're probably going to increase....and yes I want to go on to medicine so....It's just that I think it's really unfair that when a student tries so hard, it gets kicked back in their teeth and people who don't try at all are almost spoon fed! I think the reason they're doing it is because they want a higher % of a*-c at gcse...and being in the gifted and talented group tends to look good on applications because theres so many extra-curricular activities and things that you can do if your in the group...that's how it is in my school anyways, and next years college.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, being in G&T rarely does anything for college applications. I've applied for two of the best colleges in the country (according to their splurb, anyway) and they really couldn't care less about G&T people. It's what your grade is against your target that counts.

On the whole getting an A* thing: no, it's not necessarily totally fair, but sometimes that's the way it is. Have you spoken to the head of department or your head of year yet? Sometimes they'll do something for you if you're desperate to resit.

ReputationRep:
    take the chil pill

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amstead)
    GCSE's meen nothing in the real world.
    Because applying to top universities doesn't happen in the real world?

Why the F*** are all of you giving her "take a chill pill advice"
    Complain go to the head and take it further say you will pay £4 only!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zayna1)
    well hey i know it's my fault for getting a b! No one's perfect...and I know that i'm capable of an a*. My teacher said that I could re sit, but now they're not allowing me to...and I have seen universities asking for a*'s at gcse's, and they're probably going to increase....and yes I want to go on to medicine so....It's just that I think it's really unfair that when a student tries so hard, it gets kicked back in their teeth and people who don't try at all are almost spoon fed! I think the reason they're doing it is because they want a higher % of a*-c at gcse...and being in the gifted and talented group tends to look good on applications because theres so many extra-curricular activities and things that you can do if your in the group...that's how it is in my school anyways, and next years college.
    GO MENTAL... Get your parents to complain? Speak to a teacher you know well and ask them about it... People will say GCSEs don't matter, but if you want to go on to medicine you need to be doing as well as you possibly can. Good luck

Edit: you already have, kick up more of a fuss, and offer to pay for the resits yourself?

ReputationRep:
    Rewrite your TSR post in the form of a well-written letter, you know, using paragraphs and grammar 'n' stuff. Mix in some details about medical school applications and required GCSE grades A*-wise and send it to your head and whoever else has sway over this.

Make sure to point out that the school's job is to add value to every child in the school, not to drag everyone towards a 5 A-C middle ground.

Be prickly, firm and sparklingly intelligent in your writing. It's generally easier for teachers to just give up and give you your own way as long as it doesn't cause a complaints train, so you're trying to make yourself look mature and someone who's going to keep pissing them off till they back down.

ReputationRep:
    You deserve a re-sit tbh. I got an overall A for Core Science and I wanted to retake 3 modules to get an A* but eventually gave up because my teacher said I should 'concentrate on my Additional Science'. She is right. An A is still good so don't stress yourself. It's just GCSEs.

ReputationRep:
    I actually agree with you, try asking every single science teacher, get your parents to complain more to, make a reasonable heartfelt argument to all of them. You should be allowed!

ReputationRep:
    just pay for the re-sit if it means that much to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smelly Ellie)
    Because applying to top universities doesn't happen in the real world?
    GCSE's mean very little compared to performance at A levels for top universities. The difference between an A* and an A at GCSE is not going to be the difference between a top 5 university and the University of Lincoln.

In fact, you could royally screw up your GCSE's like me and end up with just 4 in total, none of which an A*, and still be offered places at some of the finest institutions around.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't understand most of that, but it is your own doing you got a B.

On another note though, I don't think the school can actually stop you from retaking an exam, if you pay for it.

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow, you know what, there's a similar thing that happened in my school. Teachers are really trying to increase the status of the school, increasing the 5 A*-C grade percentage, as opposed to treating every child individually. They feel that as long as you don't fail, it's a good grade. It's why I moved to a grammar school for sixth form.

What I suggest you do, if the school is still uncooperative, try and see if you can take the exams externally somewhere else, using the same exam board. Try and find out as soon as you can though, because there are deadlines for these applications.

ReputationRep:
    1.' I've never got a dentention' loooooooooooooooooool
    2. on a serious note, i feel your pain..but if you really nail the next exam..u shud get an A*overall

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zayna1)
    You're so close to A* - go get it!!!

I would go to the headteacher... make a fuss about it... I didn't know for normal exams they could stop you taking it. I understand for practical exams it may be hard but if you pay, it should be ok.

Gifted and Talented isn't that amazing but the A* will help if you are going for medicine or a top uni

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    You'd love my old school. It was a Grammar school (infact at the time it was ranking number 1 in the country) and I outright refused to retake modules in seperate sciences because I didnt need them, overall I needed 5 A-Cs to get into college, and sciences were pretty much irrelevant because they were already B and C grades.

I refused to pay for them and then they offered to pay and I still said no. Then they threatened to give me a bad reference if I didnt take them. So not only were they free I was threatened into re taking them. I failed those modules hard.

And never had a detention? I dont think that is possible, I had at least one or two class detentions every month without including my individual ones, and I went to a good school.

ReputationRep:
    lol wtf. you're allowed to retake GCSEs? never knew that.

ANYWHO, i think retaking is pretty much cheating yourself, seeing as you'll get extra time to revise.

ReputationRep:
    build a massive bridge and get over it.
    people like you complaining you cant get an A annoy me, this one girl cried cos she didnt get an A* in her english, so resat it, the teacher spent more time talking to me cos i was so happy i got a C...

so what if you cant get an A* i got told i had the potential to get a B in maths but they refused to put me in for that paper so i couldnt.

sometimes lifes a b***h and you cant get your own way. GCSEs mean nothing when you do A levels... my uni didnt care about what GCSEs i had... aslong as i had enough to get into 6th form...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x)
    Some universities require certain GCSE grades in certain subjects like Maths, English or Science.

I needed at least a C in Maths to get onto my course. However some universities require a B or an A.

It all depends on what the OP wants to do in the future.
    No university in the world will specify A* at GCSE in a certain/any subject for you to be allowed to go to said university.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly like many people have said, a few years down the line and GCSEs aren't really that important. Your teachers are giving resits to people with low grades because the school needs people to achieve higher grades so that future parents will send their children to a 'high achieving' high school. You are already doing well so it's understandable that they want to help the lower achieving pupils.

Once you get to A Levels and then a Degree, you'll wonder why you made such a fuss.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.