Turn on thread page Beta

PGCE secondary physical education watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Heya, i'm really worried.

I'm just about to complete a degree in Psychology however i want to do a PGCE in secondary physical education.

Does anyone know whether they will completely disregard my application as i don't have a sports related degree?

I've done a BTEC award in sport and i'm a qualified leader in running fitness so lead a running group once a week but thats as far as any sport qualifications go for me.

Just wondering whether i should gain more qualifications before i apply

Thanks

x

ReputationRep:
    (I have no experience in this, I'm also doing a Psychology degree though so this is just what I would guess).

I would say that no, they won't just completely disregard your application. It may make things slightly harder, but you've got qualifications in sports so they'll be able to see that you're capable of teacing sports and that you know about the subject.

As long as you can show ways that your degree might be relevant I think you've got a good chance. E.g. have a look at principles of health psychology maybe (ways to get people to exercise, use healthy eating habits) and see if you can apply those to the subject somehow. Or look at ways that psychology can relate to higher performance (e.g. some aspects of perfectionism are linked to higher performance in sport) and see if you can show how your knowledge of psychology might affect the way you teach.

I don't know about more qualifications, but I'd recommend speaking to the universities you're interested in applying to for more information about that. They can give you more information on what qualifications you'd need (maybe if not have a sports related degree was a problem you could look into doing a postgrad qualification in Sport & Exercise Psychology and then doing the PGCE? Although that would obviously be a lot more money to consider!)

Good luck anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

Yeah i think i can relate psychology in a lot of ways and it seems a good degree when you're looking at teaching because you understand their behavior a bit more.

I'm doing health psychology as a moduel so thats a good idea

I've just found out that with Bangor university in Wales they do a PGCE course which might have more content on PE because if you do a degree thats unrelated to what you're teaching you do that instead. i've just emailed them to find out more so hopefully i'll be able to do that

I was going to do a masters but i don't think im ready for that yet and i really want to do teaching I might go back to a masters in a few years time.

Thanks again you've made me feel more enthusiastic

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.