Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just applying for a job at GAME but my friends told me to write a covering letter along with my CV

Never done a covering letter before but reason i want to work there is because im a massive gamer and also i've had almost 2 years retail experience at sainsbury's.

How do i start it off and add those things in?

ReputationRep:
    Basically just promote yourself and use it as an oppurtunity to say the stuff you wouldn't otherwise put into your CV, but which may/will help you with the specific application. Also use it to mention any further experience in more detail as well as talk about your current situation (studying? gap year? etc.).
    Yeah, don't think too much in to it but use it to your advantage.

ReputationRep:
    How would i start off?
    I am applying for the sales assisstant role?

Can't think!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yahzoo)
    How would i start off?
    I am applying for the sales assisstant role?

Can't think!
    Well, let's do it chronologically- what attracted you to the placement in the first place? Don't get too into it, but you can sensationalize it a little for effect, if you so wish (you know, big yourself up a bit! ). Let them know you have an absolute personal interest, and you're not just handing out CVs left right and centre.

ReputationRep:
    There are plenty of covering letter templates online which should give you a rough idea of what to write and where to write it.

I wouldn't big up the fact you are a "massive" gamer too much. Obviously you are going to be interested in gaming or you wouldn't be applying for the job -- the same as everyone else applying. Focus on the experience you gained while working at Sainsburys' -- communication skills, cash handling, team work, etc. GAME is a retail outlet at the end of the day and while they while employers want employees who are passionate about the products, the more 'boring' retail stuff (restocking, till work, etc.) comes first a foremost.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.