Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    im a 3rd year, falling a little behind on my work and am getting a bit worried about it. but thats not my immediate problem,

my dad left his mobile home today, i answered and the person would not leave a name which i thought was strange, googled the number, its a lecturer in my course in uni (altho he is a male and not teaching me, a woman was on the phone)

a few questions,

Can they talk to my parents about me without my permission?

can i stop them?

should i ring the uni back?

what if my parents rang them first, can they respond?

i do not want my parents talking to my uni, i keep them out of the loop for a reason, being that they keep on and stress me out about things and make things worse for me, if they find out im behind on work they will go mad and i feel its none of their business.

ReputationRep:
    When I was at Uni I got quite ill at one stage and my parents contacted the uni to see if they could tell them what was going on and if they (the uni) could offer me help. After this email, some of my subject lecturers and student welfair officers came to talk to me about it but they couldn't tell my parents anything i didn't want them to and wouldn't reply unless I told them it was ok. So if it is the same with your uni, they shouldn't contact your parents before they have spoken to you first

ReputationRep:
    You live in a mobile home?

ReputationRep:
    i thought that would be the case, but they have not contacted me, and i dont understand the sneakiness. when i first got off the phone i thought the person i was speaking too was very rude, which is why i was inquisative, now i realise they wouldnt give their name because i would have wondered why they were contacting my dad. im not sure whether to ring them and find out what they wanted or not...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRealDarthVader)
    You live in a mobile home?
    sorry for the poor grammar, but your post is in no way helpfull. i wouldnt bother next time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student_)
    sorry for the poor grammar, but your post is in no way helpfull. i wouldnt bother next time.

Your thread is in no way urgent. I would kill myself next time.

ReputationRep:
    you can't decide what is and isn't urgent to me. i think its urgent as i want to resolve it both before my parents get involved and before uni tomorrow. so unless you have anything helpful to add, don't bother.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRealDarthVader)
    Your thread is in no way urgent. I would kill myself next time.
    Alright, stop it now. I can let the first post slide (I read it the same way) but that's highly inappropriate and not constructive.

(Original post by student_)
    you can't decide what is and isn't urgent to me. i think its urgent as i want to resolve it both before my parents get involved and before uni tomorrow. so unless you have anything helpful to add, don't bother.
    First question, are you in trouble at university? Sorry, you say you're falling behind. My reading comprehension is rubbish today, it seems.

Have your university been in touch with you about this? Do you know their usual procedure? If you're missing deadlines or not attending compulsory sessions they will usually invite you to have a meeting with an appropiate member of staff (year tutor, undergraduate director). That's the first step.

But I wouldn't jump to conclusions.

ReputationRep:
    no deadlines missed, but i have missed a few lessons, for a few different reasons. (and i'm only in once a week, which frustrates me as i cant get motivated to go in when i have to) i don't know the procedure, but my lecturer has not been in contact with me so no meetings have taken place!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.