Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have my SIFT interview for the Royal Navy next Tuesday and I am wondering how the questions are going to be worded. I know what I have to revise and research for this interview and am in a pretty good position.

Has anyone taken and/or passed this penultimate section of the selection process and could anyone give me examples of the questions you were asked so I can prepare a rough answer???

I understand questions such as "What is the weight of HMS Cumberland with a total crew capacity?" Is a little to pointed, but "What is the Royal Navy up to at the moment?" Is a little vague...

I am very nervous about this interview as it is a one time shot and need to be as prepared as I possibly can be.

Thank you for any responses I receive, like Tesco says... "Every little helps"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by municipal)
    "What is the Royal Navy up to at the moment?" Is a little vague...
    It's vague for a reason, gives you plenty of scope to make the answer your own! That's said the main areas of operations (which is essentially what it is asking) is pretty specific. Dont feel like you need to mention every theatre but standing commitments and any current deployments that have been receiving media attention (i.e. Libya) will suffice.

Sift interview is a big step and daunting at the time but is by no means an application ending point (not the first time at least!). It is to make sure that the RN is not wasting it's time by sending you to AIB, which is the real test, therefore they are not expecting perfection, but to be able to give you pointers as to your areas of weakness.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the advice.

I'm getting nervous because I've passed everything else first time, and feel I'm not ready for this... Being deferred for 3 months will be a huge blow for me as hoping to be pushed through to the Sep '11 BRNC intake... or atleast that was my Career Advisors intention...

I got the letter with my SIFT date 5 weeks ago, and it seems to have come round so fast...

also, am I likely to know pass/fail on the day, or is there an agonsing wait for a letter through the post?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by municipal)
    I have my SIFT interview for the Royal Navy next Tuesday and I am wondering how the questions are going to be worded. I know what I have to revise and research for this interview and am in a pretty good position.

Has anyone taken and/or passed this penultimate section of the selection process and could anyone give me examples of the questions you were asked so I can prepare a rough answer???

I understand questions such as "What is the weight of HMS Cumberland with a total crew capacity?" Is a little to pointed, but "What is the Royal Navy up to at the moment?" Is a little vague...

I am very nervous about this interview as it is a one time shot and need to be as prepared as I possibly can be.

Thank you for any responses I receive, like Tesco says... "Every little helps"

Not sure if I'm too late.
    Anyways try here http://www.navy-net.co.uk/newbies/45...ce-please.html
    theres advice all over that site! More advice further down the thread too!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 3, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.