Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilyking)

Brian Cox is an arse. Who does he think he is when he's standing on top of the icy mountain? some science god? :facepalm: He had D grade in A level maths and he entered uni as a mature student. He only receives recognition because he makes science more popular. It's probably a government scam to get more people to do their science A levels. I don't have anything against him, but I just don't feel like he deserves to be there even though he's so passionate about it.
    If you're going to be an idiot at least know what you are talking about (but I suppose if you knew what you were talking about, you wouldn't be an idiot).

"He is a Royal Society University Research Fellow and a professor at the University of Manchester. He is a member of the High Energy Physics group at the University of Manchester, and works on the ATLAS experiment at the Large Hadron Collider, CERN, near Geneva, Switzerland. He is also working on the R&D project of the FP420 experiment in an international collaboration to upgrade the ATLAS and the CMS experiment by installing additional, smaller detectors at a distance of 420 metres (1,380 ft) from the interaction points of the main experiments."

"During his music career he earned an undergraduate first class honours degree and M.Phil. degree, both in physics, from the University of Manchester. A year after D:Ream disbanded in 1997, Cox was awarded his Ph.D. degree in high energy particle physics at the same university, based on his thesis drawn from work he did for the H1 experiment at the HERA particle accelerator at the DESY laboratory in Hamburg."

From wiki.

ReputationRep:
    If I was single, I wouldn't say no.

ReputationRep:
    He wouldn't bother me as much if it wasn't for the fact that he gets to go to the Chilean Andes to show us water as a solid, a liquid and a gas. Or to an African desert to introduce the idea of time. Or to the edge of a glacier to play a clip of it moving backwards. It's really just his holidays with a little physics along the way. And I'm SO jealous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeeC)
    <<<bull****>>>
    D in maths

/post

ReputationRep:
    D in maths

/post
    Jealous because you're going to get an E in it.

ReputationRep:
    I'd just like to get my point across:

Brian Cox is an arse. Who does he think he is when he's standing on top of the icy mountain? some science god? :facepalm: He had D grade in A level maths and he entered uni as a mature student. He only receives recognition because he makes science more popular. It's probably a government scam to get more people to do their science A levels. I don't have anything against him, but I just don't feel like he deserves to be there even though he's so passionate about it.

(Original post by LeeC)
    If you're going to be an idiot at least know what you are talking about (but I suppose if you knew what you were talking about, you wouldn't be an idiot).

&quot;He is a Royal Society University Research Fellow and a professor at the University of Manchester. He is a member of the High Energy Physics group at the University of Manchester, and works on the ATLAS experiment at the Large Hadron Collider, CERN, near Geneva, Switzerland. He is also working on the R&amp;D project of the FP420 experiment in an international collaboration to upgrade the ATLAS and the CMS experiment by installing additional, smaller detectors at a distance of 420 metres (1,380 ft) from the interaction points of the main experiments.&quot;

&quot;During his music career he earned an undergraduate first class honours degree and M.Phil. degree, both in physics, from the University of Manchester. A year after D:Ream disbanded in 1997, Cox was awarded his Ph.D. degree in high energy particle physics at the same university, based on his thesis drawn from work he did for the H1 experiment at the HERA particle accelerator at the DESY laboratory in Hamburg.&quot;

From wiki.
    pwned!

ReputationRep:
    If you say so, sir

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeeC)
    Jealous because you're going to get an E in it.
    lol I laugh at your judgement, I'm doing f.maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rbnphlp)
    pwned!
    D in A level maths
    D in A level maths
    D in A level maths

how many times must I repeat myself!

ReputationRep:
    D in A level maths
    D in A level maths
    D in A level maths

how many times must I repeat myself!
    During his music career he earned an undergraduate first class honours degree and M.Phil. degree, both in physics, from the University of Manchester. :hat2:

ReputationRep:
    Cox's carbon foot print for each episode must be horrendous, and he says majestic far too much..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retrodiction)
    Contradictory. You said that he just runs through the discoveries and ideas of other scientists. Gillian McKeith ignores all the established facts of food science and promotes her own rubbish.
    Gillian McKeith does do that, but she also repeats a lot of "shocking" biological facts and almost presents them as her own.

He is still dry and does not present much original material like Gillian. I read one of his articles in a Financial Times magazine and it had no real substance. He just repeated basic facts about gravity and other forces, somehow meant to "wow" people.

He is promotional if anything.

More the Malcolm Gladwell of physics then.

ReputationRep:
    What a div he is

ReputationRep:
    Hi all

I posted this just to get my year 12 group to join up to The Student Room. Their homework was to post a reply.

By the way, I think he's a nob

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GraemeEtheridge)
    If you say so, sir
    nice jacket, how much are they new?

ReputationRep:
    On the hand, more Physics on TV cant be bad. Anything that makes people interested and wanting to know more is good.

On the other hand, I thnk his explanations are intended to make the audience go 'wow' rather than gain any understanding. Too many pretty scenes.

I dont like computer gnerated imagery being passed off as though its an actual photograph.

I find his gurns to camera intensely irritaing but thats the price we pay for having Astrophysics on the telly.

ReputationRep:
    I'd just like to get my point across:

it's presenters like Michio Kaku who deserve the medal :top: lectured for 30 years, I'd rather listen to him than a grad

Jim Al-khalili is good too, I had the privilege of attending one of his lectures at UCL about medieval islam and alchemy
    I agree with you but I don't like the way you presented it. It looks like an attack on him. Generally yes I don't like that he is seen as a genius by many. His popularity is little to do with science. His programmes are slightly patronising may be because they are aimed to a larger audience because as they are shown on bbc1. I prefer Jim Alkhalili programmes and books.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GingerGoat)
    Sorry, but teaching and inspiring physicists is just as important as anything. It's why Richard Feynman was so good. He could teach as well as being a genius.

And you don't become head of Higher Energy Physics at Manchester by getting it as a prize in a Happy Meal
    But Richard Feynman is cool! (and Brian Cox is no genius :P)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanvyj)
    But Richard Feynman is cool! (and Brian Cox is no genius :P)
    Don't have to be a genius to be a good teacher. Some of the most intelligent teachers I had couldn't teach to save their life!
    And yeah, while he's not a genius, he works at CERN, more than many physicists will reach in their career.

But yes, Feynman was in a league of his own. How he cracked his boss' safe at the Manhattan Project is just brilliant :lol:

ReputationRep:
    If I was gay.....

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 31, 2011

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.