Turn on thread page Beta

Can I use 'Boil in a Bag' Rice for Paella? watch

ReputationRep:
    So yeah, I'm home for the Easter holidays from Uni, and I have a craving for Paella. Thing is, my mum only buys 'Boil in a Bag' rice, so I was just wondering if that stuff is ok to just cut the bag open and use as I would use normal rice?

ReputationRep:
    I've cooked it by ripping the bag open before, not sure if it'll work in paella though :/
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Boil in a bag rice is just rice...in a bag.

In other words, yes, it'll work for paella

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)

Haha I know it is really obvious, but I was just checking haha didn't want to start making the paella and then it go wrong, all because boil in the bag rice is a little bit different haha
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by weirdwakkidolli)
    Haha I know it is really obvious, but I was just checking haha didn't want to start making the paella and then it go wrong, all because boil in the bag rice is a little bit different haha
    It's no different at all, it's just in a bag because then it's easier to drain, doesn't stick to side of pans etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)

I'm guessing it's basmati rice though, which doesn't work great for Paella. Paella uses particular short grain rices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoMo1)
    I'm guessing it's basmati rice though, which doesn't work great for Paella. Paella uses particular short grain rices.
    You can have any rice in a bag. And... short grain? But that's for risotto and rice pudding, I thought...

ReputationRep:
    What rice you use is important to how the paella will be. The right texture requires the right rice. Long-grained rice like basmati won't exactly ruin the dish, but it is better to use short-grain rice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whitepearlbaby)
    You can have any rice in a bag. And... short grain? But that's for risotto and rice pudding, I thought...
    You can have any type of rice in a bag, but the only ones I've ever seen are the long-grains.

Long-grains are used in Thai, Indian etc. cooking. Short-grain are most well known for risotto and rice pudding but they use very specific rices. Paella uses other types of short-grain rice and Japanese cooking uses Japonica rice, which is like risotto rice but without the excess starch.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.