Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I am currently recieving Disability Living Allowance and Income Related Employment And Support Allowance. However I am due to return to university in Septmeber and intend to claim a full student loan (as well as disabled student's allowance and a special support grant).

I would like to know if I will still be able to claim Income Related Employment And Support Allowance while claiming a student loan and DSA+Special Support Grant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cait Sith)
    Hi

I am currently recieving Disability Living Allowance and Income Related Employment And Support Allowance. However I am due to return to university in Septmeber and intend to claim a full student loan (as well as disabled student's allowance and a special support grant).

I would like to know if I will still be able to claim Income Related Employment And Support Allowance while claiming a student loan and DSA+Special Support Grant.
    This information says YES, but I don't know a) how up-to-date it is (though I'm not aware of any changes in the legislation since it came in, but my knowledge is only through the news) or b) how much hassle you might have to go through in order to actually get it. Grrr.

http://www.cpag.org.uk/cro/wrb/wrb206/students.htm

ReputationRep:
    As far as I'm aware, you will still qualify for it as you are classed as a disabled student (otherwise it would probably be no as most FT students cant claim benefits) BUT they will generally reduce the amount you can be awarded each week as they take your student finance into account as income. They will take the annual amount of your finance, minus expenses for travel, books, equipment, childcare etc. and then work the remainder into a weekly figure - your ESA will then be reduced by this amount. It might be that your finance is too high and you don't qualify for any ESA but you may still qualify for some depending on how much your expenses are.

ReputationRep:
    I emailed the department for work and pensions , they said I'd continue to recieve ESA while at university because I'm a disabled student.

ReputationRep:
    I emailed the department for work and pensions , they said I'd continue to recieve ESA while at university because I'm a disabled student.
    yay! Good news! :cool: Hope it all goes well.

ReputationRep:
    Theres no problem getting a student loan. Where you will have issues is claiming ESA and student support. DLA is a non means tested benefit and while it will not make a difference you are legally obliged to tell them of the relevant change in your circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    Apologies for raising an old thread but just wondered whether the OP managed to get to uni last year and if so, how it has impacted on her benefits.

I'm in same situation, claiming DLA and ESA (IR), and will hopefully be starting uni this Sept. I have also applied for SSG & DSA alongside the student loans. My main worry though is whether the DWP will think I'm fit enough to return to work if I can contemplate going to uni and stop all my benefits.

Has anyone else experienced problems with studying whilst claiming ESA?

ReputationRep:

Hi

How much ESA did you receive? Was it reduced?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Check thread dates before posting. Thanks.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.