The Student Room Group

Uni Glasgow vs. Durham for Medicine?

hi everyone, I have a tough time deciding on which school to pick. I have unconditional offers for medicine from both universities. Rankings and entry requirements aside, I would like to know which of the schools is more reputable in the medical field.
lekky
x

You are needed :p:
Original post by runner91
hi everyone, I have a tough time deciding on which school to pick. I have unconditional offers for medicine from both universities. Rankings and entry requirements aside, I would like to know which of the schools is more reputable in the medical field.

How are you going to decide which is more reputable is you exclude rankings?
Reply 3
I think both course styles are very different? Take that into account. I think Glasgow does more PBL. :iiam: It's what you prefer.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by runner91

Oh dear. This might not end well....

Moving to the Medicine forum. They'll be able to fill you in. All I'll say is chose according to personal and subjective factors (teaching style you prefer, social life of the cities...or in Stockton's case town).
Reply 5
PBL v. Traditionalish. Which do you prefer?
Reply 6
Neither is more reputable. There are clear and obvious differences between them, and considering you have two offers from them you should know about them. One is a traditional course, the other is PBL, one is in a Northern market town, the other is a major city etc.... which do you prefer?
Reply 7
Reputation in Medicine does not matter, as everyone is awarded the same degree and goes to work (for the large part) for NHS. There are 32 equally good Medicine Schools in the UK and you'd expect to get similar training and understanding, with varying course structure, which is a factor on deciding the university you wish to go to.

The best part with Medicine is that you can choose to go anywhere, since you learn the same things and end up in the same degree and placement. Therefore, pick which lifestyle of the universities you like, and whether you'd enjoy living there for the duration of the course. Look at what your course offers, and any exchanges or additional programmes or anything that makes you think "I like this."

Congrats on the offers though! They're both good universities, quite different so a lot to choose from. :wink:
Reply 8
reputable....bah
Reply 9
screw both and go to BATH MEDICAL SCHOOL - best rep
Reply 10
Original post by LewDacris
screw both and go to BATH MEDICAL SCHOOL - best rep

Rule number 1 of Bath medical school...
Reply 11
Original post by felt_monkey
You are needed :p:

Cheers :tongue:

OP! I was in the exact same position as you last year. Both are similar levels of prestige though if that's what you're basing this on, Newcastle better than Glasgow right now. I'd advise not basing your decision on this alone, however.

I chose Glasgow.

- couldn't stand the idea of living in Stockton for two years
- Glasgow is an amazing city, great provisions for students, great place to live
- 9-5 at Durham would drive me insane, cannot imagine doing that then coming home and studying the amount I am required to do at Glasgow
- Glasgow timetable is more flexible so you can work social life/work/societies around it and really do your work when you want to
- everyone is really down to earth. I'd hate to piss anyone off here but just calling it as I saw it, Durham & Newcastle students did not seem all that down to earth.. At glasgow there is a huge mixture of people from lots of different backgrounds (in all sense of the word) which makes it a great, diverse place to learn & live
- Glasgow is focused on PBL but there is a lot of support with it and the support for your year group will be increased
- Vocational studies is awesome
- Dissection!

Don't get me wrong I would have loved Durham if that had been my only offer too, but I had to pick the faults in both. Durham has advantages: the college system is imo excellent, the course seems well integrated and reasonably well designed, staff friendly for the most part, small course so you will know your teachers well, get to see two universities & more hospitals. However it's in Stockton, social scene is not going to be as good as in Glasgow (DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE HOW IMPORTANT THIS IS. you will meet SO MANY PEOPLE at glasgow.. the amount of people you can meet at durham is incomparable), having to move could be seen as a pain, having to start again and try and integrate with an already formed year group, and yeah the down to earth thing.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending