Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llama boy)
    My sister got a perfect 8 (from 11 A*) in 1998 and she didn't get anywhere near the papers.

my average is 8 (i got 11 A*s) and Top 5 for English...got in the local papers...but who reads them anyway..lol! altho there was a freelance photographer too...one of the "syndicate ones" that sends his photos to all the mainstream papers...dunno if it got published..doubt it..hehe!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrisbphd)
    Same here, which one let you down? Mine was biology and now I'm doing a science degree!
    It was my maths that let me down. Now I can assure you, I'm not going to do a maths degree!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajeeb)
    my average is 8 (i got 11 A*s) and Top 5 for English...got in the local papers...but who reads them anyway..lol! altho there was a freelance photographer too...one of the "syndicate ones" that sends his photos to all the mainstream papers...dunno if it got published..doubt it..hehe!
    Oh well, local papers are one thing. Even I got in my local paper (for AS).

Assumed Jools was talking about being one of the ones mentioned in the nationals and the like, like a few are each year for one reason or another.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    5 or 6A*s I'd say.
    If that's the average at St Peters the it's much lower than most colleges!! I'd say the average at most is around 8A*s or more with 2 or 3 others at A and perhaps the odd grade or so below that. There are quite a few people with full sets of A*s but equally and importantly there are people with slightly lower grades. In terms of how they get on - apart from a few at either end of the scale I've seen no evidence that people with the lower than average grades perform any worse at Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    8xA*, 1xA, 1xD. I'm so cool.

(Before anyone asks, the D was in Ancient Greek which I started from scratch in year 10 and had one or two lessons a week, off timetable.)

Again, I'm only holding an offer, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RxB)
    8xA*, 1xA, 1xD. I'm so cool.

(Before anyone asks, the D was in Ancient Greek which I started from scratch in year 10 and had one or two lessons a week, off timetable.)

Again, I'm only holding an offer, though.
    which subject?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    which subject?
    PPE, at Hertford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RxB)
    PPE, at Hertford.
    super

ReputationRep:
    hey, snap, got 8.5 A* , 2A from a state school, damn they made a fuss....! hertford PPE aswell, but i have to get 3 A grades first.eek. no pressure, just a state school with only one oxbridge offer this year. ahem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by semi)
    hey, snap, got 8.5 A* , 2A from a state school, damn they made a fuss....! hertford PPE aswell, but i have to get 3 A grades first.eek. no pressure, just a state school with only one oxbridge offer this year. ahem.
    best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    thanks what are your uni plans?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by semi)
    thanks what are your uni plans?
    same as you..need 3 A's to get into Oxford for E+M :-)
    although there's not as much pressure from school on me..as there is on you..as i'm one of 22 or so who got offered a place..lol!

ReputationRep:
    damn! 22 oxbridge people? is it a private school or just an amazing grammar school? good luck for it all anyways:-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    stuff you loser.

tek is sound, ok i was a bit mean to him about whether he was a boy or a girl, but he is a good member of the forum.

dont talk to people like that, loser.

7.9 is a superb average - way above average for oxbridge.

"you're also a nobhead" - you need to practise.

replace "you're" with "I am".

there, learn now.
    7.9 is a superb average - way above average for oxbridge?

dammit, 7.92, and rejected, but as we all know gcses dont count for a great deal.

ReputationRep:
    I got A*, A, 6B's and 2c's.......but then got A in maths a level early, and A's in AS law, economics, business and further maths. I go was 1st for economics, law, maths. but it hink it came down to my shoddy gcses why i got rejected from queens to study economics :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JRDH)
    but it hink it came down to my shoddy gcses why i got rejected from queens to study economics :mad:
    For the competition level for economics at oxford, then yes, i think it would have been a fairly significant factor.

ReputationRep:
    My GCSE grades aren't exactly fab... A*,A, 6xB,2xC,2xD do you think I should resit them all cos I really want to get offer for vet med at cam. I know I can get the A's at A Level and required work experience. Help... i'm starting to worry, xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lisx)
    My GCSE grades aren't exactly fab... A*,A, 6xB,2xC,2xD do you think I should resit them all cos I really want to get offer for vet med at cam. I know I can get the A's at A Level and required work experience. Help... i'm starting to worry, xxx
    If you want to do Vet med at all, let alone at Cambridge, you'll need better grades than that, I should think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    If you want to do Vet med at all, let alone at Cambridge, you'll need better grades than that, I should think.
    Not the most heartening to say, surely?

I agree that he/she needs to be realistic, but maybe if his/her science grades were the A/Bs, and A level results are definitely predicted As, then it should be ok (though for Cambridge, yes, I think they'd consider the grades too low). My friend was offered a place at the Royal Vet College with only Bio and Chem for sciences, and I don't think her GCSE was fantastic. She had a LOT of work experience though, so for Vet Science I'd imagine that to be the very most important part...

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm not an expert, but vet med is even harder to get into than Medicine, which requires at least 5 As at GCSE. So I'd say that it'd be very very tough.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.