Average Oxbridge GCSE Grades Watch

This discussion is closed.
Lisx
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
Thanks, I wanted an honest answer! I got BB in science, B in Maths, B in eng lang, C in lit.

Im going to resit them to get the 5 A's i was really ill at the time but thats not going to sit well as an excuse so am going to re-do them via homestudy, xxx
young_free
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
so for someone with no A*s but one A and the rest B's, who wants do english with predicted grades AAA for A-level and an AS level at grade A, is there no hope whatsoever??
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by young_free)
so for someone with no A*s but one A and the rest B's, who wants do english with predicted grades AAA for A-level and an AS level at grade A, is there no hope whatsoever??
Realistically, no, for a 1 in a million chance, yes.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I've heard of people getting in with not so good GCSEs but great A Levels so I think it is a possibility yes.
Harry Potter
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I think GCSEs matter a lot less than some schools make out, but a lot more than some people here make out.

For instance, elpaw, who is currently studying Physics at Oxford, claimed that "oxbridge don't accept or reject people on the basis of their GCSEs". However, one of the double mathematicians at my school was rejected from Oxford without interview on the basis of poor GCSEs. Although I'm sure they recognise that GCSEs are an absolutely absurd way to measure acedemic potential, Oxbridge seem to be pretty unforgiving of people who have attended a good school yet still didn't acheive high grades at GCSE.
Harry Potter
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
If you have a good reason for underacheiving, then I wouldn't have thought it would hinder you too much.
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Harry Potter)
If you have a good reason for underacheiving, then I wouldn't have thought it would hinder you too much.
I think that if you want to get into oxbridge to have a decent chance you need at least 3*7as? I havent done a survey or anything but below these grades (with aaa), not many people actually get a place., though i have seen a few people from sstates school get in with like 1a*?
who dares wins
Report 16 years ago
only smarter teenagers will even attempt to go for cambridge or oxford..unlike my self..tho i have noted that one of my friends was turned down with 4 a's and a b but my other friend got in with 3 a's and 2 b's...thats life i guess
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
I think that if you want to get into oxbridge to have a decent chance you need at least 3*7as? I havent done a survey or anything but below these grades (with aaa), not many people actually get a place., though i have seen a few people from sstates school get in with like 1a*?
Overall, the average Oxbridge GCSE Grades is about 3A* and 7A's, although obviously for really competitive courses like Medicine it's a bit higher, and for others a bit lower.

However, there is more lenience with state school candidates over grades, as it is harder to achieve those grades at a state school.
andy_
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
who would u think would be more likely to get into oxbridge, someone with 3A*s 7As or 5A*s 3As 2Bs
JrW
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
the first one...more consistency?!?!?wat do other people think
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by jamierwilliams)
the first one...more consistency?!?!?wat do other people think
well oxbridge tend to select people with what they call straight As. I think that straight As means 10 as - as i think people call 3a* 7as and a b straight As? or am i wrong
Harry Potter
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I'd say the second one. You usually only study one subject in a degree so it'd be better to do excellently in subjects related to the degree and not so well in irrelevent things, than quite well at everything. For example, if you were applying for English it'd better to get A*s in Eng Lit, Eng Lang and Bs in DT and Music than As in all of them.
MadNatSci
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'd say whichever performed better at interview...
Amazing
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think GCSEs matter a lot less than some schools make out, but a lot more than some people here make out.

For instance, elpaw, who is currently studying Physics at Oxford, claimed that "oxbridge don't accept or reject people on the basis of their GCSEs". However, one of the double mathematicians at my school was rejected from Oxford without interview on the basis of poor GCSEs. Although I'm sure they recognise that GCSEs are an absolutely absurd way to measure acedemic potential, Oxbridge seem to be pretty unforgiving of people who have attended a good school yet still didn't acheive high grades at GCSE.
What GCSEs did the mathematician get?
andy_
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'd say the second one. You usually only study one subject in a degree so it'd be better to do excellently in subjects related to the degree and not so well in irrelevent things, than quite well at everything. For example, if you were applying for English it'd better to get A*s in Eng Lit, Eng Lang and Bs in DT and Music than As in all of them.
Thats what i would of thought, i'm doing my gcses and most likely to get a b in art and graphics because of making a mistake when choosing my options. I chose them because in yr 9 picked them because it was a doss. Then i chose to concentrate on other subjects instead. Do ya think i should mention that if they ask?
s-k
Report 16 years ago
To everyone with poor gcse grades....

DONT WORRY AND JUST APPLY

Iam in year 12(state school), and regardless of what people say I am going apply to oxbridge.

I got 1A* 6As 3Bs and I want to study medicine, of course its going to be hard, but if I can get good AS grades and impress in BMAT hopefully I can get an interview at the very least. Then its just a matter of giving a good interview and showing your enthusiasm in your chosen course. They are really looking for who's got the determination and will to study and work hard. Maybe if you have poor gcses and great AS form state school...maybe you have a slight advantage over someone from private school with straight A* and As at AS bcos you've experieinced failure, but you have shown yourself to rise above the challenge and to deal with it, it did not deter you. Also I have read people who have never failed in their life sometimes fail at uni, therefore maybe you will be looked in the view that you can deal with failure ....I hope

I know someone who got into Trinity for medicine this year with 2 A*, 5 A, 1 B, 1 C, he said he did really well at AS 4As and 100% in some modules. SO WORK HARD AND YOUR GCSES WILL BE OF LITTLE RELEVANCE! Show You have matured and learn't your lesson, Thats what iam going to do

Remember sometimes people with 11A* dont even get in, so theres always a bit of luck involved! Best of LUCK!
ogs
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
mine is 7.2 state school at the time!
ogs
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
3a* 7as and a b (straight a's lol!) I wouldn't call it that but yeah! i got um!
s-k
Report 16 years ago
well done mine is 6.8 i think
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (153)
60.96%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.38%
No- I want it (70)
27.89%
No- I don't want it (17)
6.77%

Watched Threads