Average Oxbridge GCSE Grades Watch

This discussion is closed.
emom100
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i don't think gcse's are that important. From my school, none of the top 5 or 6 GCSE performers got into Oxbridge and neither did the 3 of us that got straight A's for a-level. The person that did get a place for law had a mix of b's c's and a few a* fo GCSE. In the end he didn't get 3 A's either but got the aab he needed for his offer
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by emom100)
i don't think gcse's are that important. From my school, none of the top 5 or 6 GCSE performers got into Oxbridge and neither did the 3 of us that got straight A's for a-level. The person that did get a place for law had a mix of b's c's and a few a* fo GCSE. In the end he didn't get 3 A's either but got the aab he needed for his offer

any chance he is from a state school?
Tek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by s-k)
Maybe if you have poor gcses and great AS form state school...maybe you have a slight advantage over someone from private school with straight A* and As at AS bcos you've experieinced failure, but you have shown yourself to rise above the challenge and to deal with it, it did not deter you.
Now that's just balls. It doesn't matter whether you go to a private school or state school and you certainly don't have an "advantage" over better qualified private school applicants; all Oxbridge are looking for is academic potential. Most Oxbridge applicants have a healthy mixture of A*s and As at GCSE and most strong applicants do in fact breeze through GCSEs. Of course there are exceptions, but by and large admissions tutors will expect you to have a strong set of results.

s-k, you'll have to work hard to counter that B in GCSE Chemistry. Whatever you say, GCSEs do still have some relevance, and a B in Chemistry GCSE for a Medicine applicant does not look good and will most probably count against you. So don't just dismiss your GCSE results.
Dystopian
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
Oh c'mon off it, Tek. B's are okay, even for a Medic at GCSE. There is no point getting wound up about those exams- far better you have A's at A level/AS level, a great interview technique, and you know your subject, do well on the tests and so on. GCSES mean next to nothing - I've personally got straight A's, and if I really want to panic, I can get into mode on that, I'm well rounded, not concentrated in one area. GCSES mean jack, they're looking at legislation to scrap them because candidates *do* breeze through them half the time, and they're also going to scrap AS, and work on A levels. The system is so screwed- Cambridge or Oxford would know if they had a good interviewed candidate with a B, and a poor with an A*, to take the interviewed.

GCSE grades mean pretty much nothing. It's about AS levels, and A's that you can panic.
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Dystopian)
Oh c'mon off it, Tek. B's are okay, even for a Medic at GCSE. There is no point getting wound up about those exams- far better you have A's at A level/AS level, a great interview technique, and you know your subject, do well on the tests and so on. GCSES mean next to nothing - I've personally got straight A's, and if I really want to panic, I can get into mode on that, I'm well rounded, not concentrated in one area. GCSES mean jack, they're looking at legislation to scrap them because candidates *do* breeze through them half the time, and they're also going to scrap AS, and work on A levels. The system is so screwed- Cambridge or Oxford would know if they had a good interviewed candidate with a B, and a poor with an A*, to take the interviewed.

GCSE grades mean pretty much nothing. It's about AS levels, and A's that you can panic.
It depends where you want to go. Cam and OX would really look badly against a B at chemistry if you wanted to do medicine. Most uni's wouldnt care but those two do and I suspect the other top medical schools. Like you said though if it is obvious at OXbridge that in the interview you are exceptionally clever they will of course accept you.
emzie
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
It depends where you want to go. Cam and OX would really look badly against a B at chemistry if you wanted to do medicine. Most uni's wouldnt care but those two do and I suspect the other top medical schools. Like you said though if it is obvious at OXbridge that in the interview you are exceptionally clever they will of course accept you.
thats IF you get an interview with that grade. People in my year didn't even get an interview becuse they said their GCSE grades were too low (8 A* 2A, 7A*,3A) and their BMAT was too low (ave around 5.9)
Dystopian
Report 14 years ago
Horror stories now? We're all highly competitive about grades, and firm on Oxbridge- or we wouldn't be haunting this forum. I don't particularly want to know about the non-interviews for my straight A's, and I doubt anyone else does. There may be people who didn't get interview this year without GCSE grades, but there are equal numbers of stories of people who don't get the grades, but the interview. It's too late now to do anything about the GCSES, far better not to worry about them, and concentrate on the AS/A levels.
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by emzie)
thats IF you get an interview with that grade. People in my year didn't even get an interview becuse they said their GCSE grades were too low (8 A* 2A, 7A*,3A) and their BMAT was too low (ave around 5.9)
8a* 2a too low????
emzie
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
yep! Thats what her college said (Brasenose)
emzie
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
the 8A* one was applying for deffered tho.
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by emzie)
the 8A* one was applying for deffered tho.
sorry what does deferred entry mean? does it mean applying for next year?

anyways it is unlikely that you will not be allowed to get an inverview if you have 7a* in gcse and 3 as in alevels!
emzie
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
yeh it means applying for next year. well thats what their official feedback said! we were so shocked - both been doing weekly work experience for the plast 2 years, straight A's AS etc etc, shocking not to even get an interview.
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by emzie)
yeh it means applying for next year. well thats what their official feedback said! we were so shocked - both been doing weekly work experience for the plast 2 years, straight A's AS etc etc, shocking not to even get an interview.

this is a pretty rare case because most people even with eg 2a* 7as or something but with 3 as in as do get an interview - what course was he applying for?
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by emzie)
oh and i thought that universities are obliged to give basically everyone who has decent gcse grades with 3as an interview? or am i wrong here
sixthirtythree
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
oh and i thought that universities are obliged to give basically everyone who has decent gcse grades with 3as an interview? or am i wrong here
From the Oxford Medicine website:

The average (median) applicant had slightly more than half of their GCSEs at A*.

93% of all applicants were summoned to interview in Oxford.
8A*s and 2As should theoretically have been invited for an interview.

As I understand the system (and please correct me if I'm wrong because this is specifically for PPE):

Candidates will normally
be desummoned only if they have at least one of the following shortcomings:

• Results in official examinations, especially GCSE, which are not at the highest
level;
• Results predicted for A level, or other impending examinations, which are not at
the highest level;
• A school report with clear negative aspects;
• The written work submitted shows lack of intellectual coherence or power of
analysis or reasoning ability, or it clearly fails to address the questions set, or it
shows a poor command of the English language.

Candidates from outside Europe are less often summoned for interview. Such candidates are considered on the basis of the written evidence.
When the first-choice college proposes to desummon any candidate, it will consult all other interested colleges in its group, and will desummon only if all of them agree.
That means all three colleges have to agree about the de-summoning and I can't see them really turning down an 8A*s, straight As, great extracurricular activities person unless there's something seriously wrong...?
babyboo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
lol there was a poster at our school which said something along the lines of '5 As at GCSE, why not consider applying to Cambridge' :rolleyes:
emzie
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by deianra)
From the Oxford Medicine website:

8A*s and 2As should theoretically have been invited for an interview.

As I understand the system (and please correct me if I'm wrong because this is specifically for PPE):

That means all three colleges have to agree about the de-summoning and I can't see them really turning down an 8A*s, straight As, great extracurricular activities person unless there's something seriously wrong...?
well there's nothing seriously wrong that's why it's so wierd!!!! And I think that info form the Ox medicine site may be last years, as they were told only about 1/3 of applicants were invited to interview this year...

the wolf - medicine
sixthirtythree
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by babyboo)
lol there was a poster at our school which said something along the lines of '5 As at GCSE, why not consider applying to Cambridge' :rolleyes:
I love that.

Hmm. Maybe 8A*s person got a really low BMAT? Like 3.0?
babyboo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I love that.

but this was an offical poster for Cambridge!!! silly isnt it!
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I love that.

soz what is BMAT? :confused:
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1496)
79.57%
Leave (384)
20.43%

Watched Threads