?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by emzie)
they got BMAT scores of between about 4.5-5.9 aparantly the cut off was 6.0

ahh that explains why he didnt get an interview
bOdOING2
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
I know quite a few ppl who got into oxbridge med school and all have Bmats of 4 - 6, and GCses of between 2 - 10 A*s, so the cut off is not 6.
defec8ing
Report 16 years ago
don't quite get this rating system, what is 6A* 5A's and a B in this rating system?
sixthirtythree
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bOdOING2)
I know quite a few ppl who got into oxbridge med school and all have Bmats of 4 - 6, and GCses of between 2 - 10 A*s, so the cut off is not 6.
I was told by a Magdalen Medic today that they only interview 12-15 applicants, chosen on who has the highest BMAT scores.

Thus, for different colleges, they'll interview different people. For 2004 entry, I know people who were interviewed at Magdalen with scores from 6.5 - 7.9 ish.
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by deianra)
I was told by a Magdalen Medic today that they only interview 12-15 applicants, chosen on who has the highest BMAT scores.

Thus, for different colleges, they'll interview different people. For 2004 entry, I know people who were interviewed at Magdalen with scores from 6.5 - 7.9 ish.

ok i guess medicine is different but for other subjects such as architecture they really do interview everyone with the minimum requirements!
s-k
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
Now that's just balls. It doesn't matter whether you go to a private school or state school and you certainly don't have an "advantage" over better qualified private school applicants; all Oxbridge are looking for is academic potential. Most Oxbridge applicants have a healthy mixture of A*s and As at GCSE and most strong applicants do in fact breeze through GCSEs. Of course there are exceptions, but by and large admissions tutors will expect you to have a strong set of results.

s-k, you'll have to work hard to counter that B in GCSE Chemistry. Whatever you say, GCSEs do still have some relevance, and a B in Chemistry GCSE for a Medicine applicant does not look good and will most probably count against you. So don't just dismiss your GCSE results.
Tek, as usual you seem to be a bit slow to understand what i have written previously, I didn't say Gcses weren't important, of course they are.

But if you dont get straight A* or As then, you shouldn't just dismiss oxford or cambridge either, as you seem to suggest. Reading their 2005 prospectus, they actively encourage you to apply if you have the necessary grades and are predicted 3As or 2As 1B. Grades are just a small factor, once you have the necessary grades its far better to do something which proves your interest and dedication to your course.
They ask for Sciences passes at A B or C in double science, and my B in chem was triple award (single sciences). Anyway even if you have some Cs you should still apply if you really want to study at oxbridge! Like the person I mentioned in my previous post who got cs and wen to one of the best colleges!

As for private/state school GCSEs, I am not saying there is any difference or will improve your chances of getting an offer. What I meant was that if you can show you have learn't from your mistakes and get awsome AS levels it further shows your commitment and can only have a good reflection on you.

TEK if your still confused let me give you an example

E.G
Lets say you had bad gcses grades but got really good grades for AS, and you decide to apply, and give it a go and it boils down to you and another canditate.

Someone from a v good Private school with

10A* GCSES 4As AS Levels (Avg Interview, Avg Bmat)

Someone from a local comprenhensive

1A* 6As 3Bs 5As AS Level (Good interview, GOOD BMAT!)

Then you have as good as a chance of getting in, and you would never have found out if you hadn't applied. So the purpose of my message was, yes gcses are important, but if you can prove you have matured get good AS grades and show your commitment then gcses really do become irrelevant as shown in the example above (obv up to a limit not Cs and Ds). Its down to luck you give good interview and another person doesnt then you have improved your chances.
emzie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by deianra)

yeh one of them was applying to Magdalen - they said the cut off BMAT was 6. The other was brasenose and their cut off was the same. Both said they were interviewing a very few number of candidates this year.
sixthirtythree
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by s-k)
E.G
Lets say you had bad gcses grades but got really good grades for AS, and you decide to apply, and give it a go and it boils down to you and another canditate.

Someone from a v good Private school with

10A* GCSES 4As AS Levels (Avg Interview, Avg Bmat)

Someone from a local comprenhensive

1A* 6As 3Bs 5As AS Level (Good interview, GOOD BMAT!)
Judging from the A*s, wouldn't you expect the independent school candidate to get a higher BMAT than the comprehensive? If you take into consideration that the BMAT has sections in Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology as well as needing excellent literary and critical thinking skills, you'd have to be good at all the core subjects.

As for the ASs, I believe Oxbridge wants no more than three A-levels to full A2. Thus, the five ASs are not needed (a tutor I spoke to today said that he thought five As at A2 from this random candidate was 'rather excessive.') When you think again that most Medicine candidates have at least 60% A*s...it does look bad. To be summoned for interview, they do judge heavily on GCSEs because so many have As at AS-level. Thus, if all three colleges decided the results are too low, there won't even be an interview, high BMAT or no. But personally, I don't think your GCSEs look too bad, though if you are good at all five of your ASs, why are there not five A*s (or a figure near)? My friend wants to read Medicine at Oxford and she has 3*s, 5 As and 2Bs. I would say go for it, but be prepared.

The scenario above still seems terribly unlikely and I doubt any college would encounter it. This is mainly because the independent school person would probably not have made the cut for interview with only an average BMAT score. However, that means the comprehensive school person should be competing with people with good to outstanding BMAT scores, and interviews just as good, if not better. They would then lose out then. But anything can happen really, and for the above circumstance I would give both candidates an equal-ish chance of getting in.

(For the record, I am 100% state school educated).
ogs
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by defec8ing)
don't quite get this rating system, what is 6A* 5A's and a B in this rating system?
bOdOING2
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by emzie)
yeh one of them was applying to Magdalen - they said the cut off BMAT was 6. The other was brasenose and their cut off was the same. Both said they were interviewing a very few number of candidates this year.

Emmmm... jus spoke to a teacher that used to work in Oxford, and a person who got in to the medical school year... they both said that the cut off (for gaining a place on interview) for the BMAT depends on the GCSEs, e.g. if u had 10A*s the cut off would be 5, and if u had 5 A* it would more likely to be 6. So the GCSEs and BMAT are interconnected.
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bOdOING2)
Emmmm... jus spoke to a teacher that used to work in Oxford, and a person who got in to the medical school year... they both said that the cut off (for gaining a place on interview) for the BMAT depends on the GCSEs, e.g. if u had 10A*s the cut off would be 5, and if u had 5 A* it would more likely to be 6. So the GCSEs and BMAT are interconnected.

why is this not written in the prospectus or something
nooneknows
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
When blissy and *joanna* refer to being 'top 5', what do they mean? In their school, county or in England? If you do mean either county or country how did they find out?
Harry Potter
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by nooneknows)
When blissy and *joanna* refer to being 'top 5', what do they mean? In their school, county or in England? If you do mean either county or country how did they find out?
I bet more than 5 people in England get full marks.
lookintomyeyes
Report 15 years ago
im actually quite surprised by some of the gcse results of those who attend the universities or have been offered places! i really dont mean it offensively, id just always assumed youd need about 8A* to even be considered. its good that this is not the case!

i am hoping to apply for architecture in 2005, and was extremely worried about not being considered - i got 4A* and 6A and did not have private education. if i get all A grades in my AS levels is there any reason why I wouldn't be offered an interview?
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by lookintomyeyes)
im actually quite surprised by some of the gcse results of those who attend the universities or have been offered places! i really dont mean it offensively, id just always assumed youd need about 8A* to even be considered. its good that this is not the case!

i am hoping to apply for architecture in 2005, and was extremely worried about not being considered - i got 4A* and 6A and did not have private education. if i get all A grades in my AS levels is there any reason why I wouldn't be offered an interview?
you should get an interview - but if your personal statement is totally rubbish, they might not offer you an interview :cool:
Hoofbeat
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I got 6A* and 3A's. I currently hold an offer for Physics at Oxford (don't know which college yet as it's an open offer) and everyone I know who got offered a place at Oxbridge holds really high GCSE grades, ie. all A* and A's. The people who got rejected generally had all A's and B's.
London Prophet
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I got 4A*'s, 4A's, 1B, 1C and an A at additional Maths
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (153)
60.96%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.38%
No- I want it (70)
27.89%
No- I don't want it (17)
6.77%

Watched Threads