Turn on thread page Beta

Defending Balaclavas & Violent Protests watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusfox)
    Wow, you do get it. So the logical step to save money and avoid the necessity for deeper cuts is...?
    ...Have no protests?

:curious: It's true, fascism really does save the goverment money. There are some things more important than money in this world.
    Wasn't that the whole point of the protest? :facepalm:

I definitely think extra policing is required when there are people like you around who think that disrupting that poor girl's extra special day is acceptable behaviour.
    :rofl: You really have a way with words, don't you?

You would. You're not paying for it. Neither were you working in any of the shops affected.
    You're acting like the shops which were effected looked something like this:

...When the reality is that the shops we're talking about were mostly owned by millionaires.

So was that Alfie guy you're so fond of mentioning when it suits you.

Lots of 'exceptional' cases. Alfie. Tomlinson. Fire extinguisher guy. The one who poked Camilla with a stick. Sure I can find plenty more.
    Everyone's ****ing obession with pointing out Camilla :banghead:
    Who the **** drives through a violent protest with their window down?
    And trust me, there are far more examples of violence towards us than to policemen or flipping Camilla getting flipping touched by a stick, (who naturally deserves more press coverage than the student who needed bloody brain surgery because guess what, he's just a student and she's flipping royality).

Judging by the extra costs that these protests are incurring, I've got a feeling that soon people are going to feel morally on the side of using the Army to police protests instead, like in Northern Ireland in the 70s and 80s. Don't have to pay soldiers overtime, they get paid whever they are on duty, whatever they are doing, whether it's sitting in a barracks or turning water cannon on rioting protesters.
    Using the army against its own people... Hmm where have I seen that before?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    Spoiler:
    Show

Still want to see the water cannon used?
    I don't want to see any means used to suppress peaceful protests. However what we see at protests where the police stand off and allow people to protest as they like, it all kicks off and property is damaged.

If the protesters are engaging in riot and violent disorder, then yes, I would be very much in favour of using the water cannon on them. But if they are protesting peacefully, as that is their claim, then it won't be necessary, will it?

ReputationRep:
    The one who poked Camilla with a stick. Sure I can find plenty more.
    She wasn't hurt though. She was poked with a stick. Worse things happened in the various protests than Camilla being poked with a stick.

A bit of paint on the royal car? Big ****ing deal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollywoodbudgie)
    ...Have no protests?

:curious: It's true, fascism really does save the goverment money. There are some things more important than money in this world.
    Wasn't that the whole point of the protest? :facepalm:
    I dunno. What was the point of the protest then? The fact that people don't like their services being cut? And this is news to who exactly?

:rofl: You really have a way with words, don't you?
    If you're going to be deliberately obtuse... Kate's family may be upper class, but they are not the 'entitlement by birth' royalty you despise so much. It is the dream of almost every girl to marry a prince.

Just like any girl getting married, she deserves an absolutely amazing day, everything she ever dreamed, and she has that chance. I used the word 'poor' to mean unfortunate. Unfortunate that people like you whom she has never met or said a bad thing against would despise her so much so that they would want to ruin her day for political capital and to gain media air time.

I don't usually say this lightly, but people like that absoultely disgust me.

You're acting like the shops which were effected looked something like this:

...When the reality is that the shops we're talking about were mostly owned by millionaires.
    Who cares. Were these same millionaires working behind the counter? Do they lose a day's pay because the shop was closed for damage repair?

And trust me, there are far more examples of violence towards us than to policemen or flipping Camilla getting flipping touched by a stick, (who naturally deserves more press coverage than the student who needed bloody brain surgery because guess what, he's just a student and she's flipping royality).
    Again, who cares? They are still people, with real feelings. Oh, she was only touched by the stick, not poked. So that's alright then.

Northern Ireland. I already said it. Much as you would like to draw parallels with Libya, sorry, this is not a dictatorship and peaceful protesting is permitted. However, rioting is not. Unfortunately if the majority of the protesters have the same attitude as you, what with justifying violence to suit your ends, rioting is just what we'll get.

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to see any means used to suppress peaceful protests. However what we see at protests where the police stand off and allow people to protest as they like, it all kicks off and property is damaged.

If the protesters are engaging in riot and violent disorder, then yes, I would be very much in favour of using the water cannon on them. But if they are protesting peacefully, as that is their claim, then it won't be necessary, will it?
    So, despite the fact that the majority of the protestors were peaceful, and only a small minority were violent, you would still want to use something as indiscriminate as a water cannon?
    Would you really risk innocent people getting blinded?
    The police have to find a way to get the trouble makers, and not the peaceful protestors. I realise that is difficult, but things like water cannons are not the answer.

ReputationRep:

Who drives straight into a protest?

The press reaction disgusted at the time. The first thing on the news?

CAMILLA was touched by a stick! Paint on the royal car!

When at the same time, a teenager nearly died because he was hit on the head by a policeman?

Excuse me if I'm not that bothered by Camilla being touched by a stick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    So you think violent protest and trashing private property ATM's by idiots with faces covered who are not trying to make any political point should be allowed?

Sure civil disobedience sit ins and such can be defended as legitimate courses of action however attacking public and private property is not something that should be defended in any way.
    Pretty much sums it up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    So, despite the fact that the majority of the protestors were peaceful, and only a small minority were violent, you would still want to use something as indiscriminate as a water cannon?
    Would you really risk innocent people getting blinded?
    The police have to find a way to get the trouble makers, and not the peaceful protestors. I realise that is difficult, but things like water cannons are not the answer.
    The police already have a way of getting to them. They can walk up and arrest the trouble makers. If they can't get in because the majority of the protesters in the area are fighting the police in large numbers to prevent the troublemakers being arrested, then it's not a small minority being violent, is it?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who goes on protest against the goverment- be it peaceful or 'violent', is opposing the goverment and is therefore a threat. You, as well as many others may wish to distance yourself from us, the minority, as much as possible, but remember that we're all in this together. I very much doubt that I can change your mind about violent protests, you have made your mind up and I respect that. I only hope that you may be able to see us as being more than 'thugs' and 'hooligans', because under our masks is just a person you may pass down the street without giving much thought who may have lost their job, had their salary cut or been made to pay so much more for something that would have been their free right only a few years ago. I appreciate the time you took to read my OP, thank you for doing so and feel disappointed that you have decided to remain so close minded.
    Turns out that not everyone can keep their salary, their job and their government subsidy when everything is based on a bubble of debt. In the private sector we were hit hard with pay cuts and redundancies, it's part of the real world.

And no, I'm not close minded, you're so open minded your brain has fallen out (:P).

Well it is rather difficult to tell people not trust the people they want to run the country- the people who will pass laws that will impact their everyday lives whilst maintaining pride in this funny thing we call democracy. And you call us the stain on democracy?
    Well it turns out that part of deciding who to vote for is figuring out who is likely to be trustworthy. Politics has its ups and downs, smashing windows because you messed up on your first experience of it is just juvenile.

We do not 'whip out hatred', you are confusing cause and effect. The hatred is already there caused by the political and economical injustices around us, which is what we react to. :rolleyes:
    I'm talking about what happens when political violence is the norm. Perhaps if you'd had friends murdered in ever escalating violence you'd be able to comprehend why it is wrong.

I am not the owner of Ritz who could just buy another couple of cars when I feel like it you fish. :facepalm:
    Yeah that makes it ok. Oh wait, no it doesn't. And hold on, aren't businesses made up of many ordinary people? Oh yeah, they are.

The police should be there to protect the people, not to have toxic extinguishers fired at students and so forth. You need to grow up yourself and realise that policemen are just ordinary people wearing uniforms and not angels carrying batons.
    The ****? Yeah, exactly. They're ordinary people trying to do their job. So stop ****ing attacking them.

FML. You clearly know **** all about the EDL, yet insist on comparing a Muslim non-white girl to them. :facepalm2:

1) The EDL is a far-right organisation.
    2) One of the student protests planned was actually stopped because of fears that the EDL might hijack it and attack left wingers.
    3) EDL members were told that ”every EDL member should shake the hand of a British policeman”, they are very rarely violent to policemen.
    Comprendo?
    Ok, maybe your comprehension skills are low. YOU are violent, idiotic thugs. THEY are violent, idiotic thugs. YOU are as bad as THEM. UNDERSTAND?

And besides, leftys threatened to hijack and attack students for having a private debate and no, I've seen EDL members attack police.

And when the **** did we murder politicans and bankers? :lolwut:[/B]
    I was saying you're as bad as the Red Army Faction. It doesn't matter who you are and what you stand for, violence isn't the answer. Don't say none of you would murder politicians and bankers, given the chance many of you would.

Oh well, you're not going to change your mind. I can just hope that next time you're caught and end up with the criminal record you deserve.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garethDT)
    Better than being fat and stupid idiots blaming every thing that's wrong with society on immigrants
    Advocating fiscal responsibility = Xenophobia?

And you're the one arguing intellectual superiority and clarity of thought? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meowmeowmutiny)

Ok, maybe your comprehension skills are low. YOU are violent, idiotic thugs. THEY are violent, idiotic thugs. YOU are as bad as THEM. UNDERSTAND?

I was saying you're as bad as the Red Army Faction. It doesn't matter who you are and what you stand for, violence isn't the answer. Don't say none of you would murder politicians and bankers, given the chance many of you would.

I can just hope that next time you're caught and end up with the criminal record you deserve.
    Who said protesters were violent thugs? The majority are peaceful.

The bold statement is pretty harsh. You're suggesting the majority of protesters would murder someone? Are you serious? That's quite an allegation. Where are you getting this from?

Why would somebody deserve a criminal record if they have committed no crime? That is nonsensical. You believe people deserve a criminal record because you don't agree with their views?

You're comparing the protesters to the Red Army? Hells, we're not that effective:

The Red Army is widely credited with being the decisive force in winning World War II, having engaged and defeated about 80% of the German armed forces,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)
    Advocating fiscal responsibility = Xenophobia?

And you're the one arguing intellectual superiority and clarity of thought? :rolleyes:
    Have you considered the possibility that they are both xenophobic AND advocate fiscal responsibility?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    Who said all protesters were violent thugs?

The bold statement is pretty harsh. You're suggesting the majority of protesters would murder someone? Are you serious?
    I seriously doubt there's only a few of you who would.

Why would somebody deserve a criminal record if they have committed no crime? That is nonsensical. You believe people deserve a criminal record because you don't agree with their views?
    Uh if she takes part in violent protests she's committing a crime. As in actually smashing stuff.

You're comparing the protesters to the Red Army? Hells, we're not that effective:

The Red Army is widely credited with being the decisive force in winning World War II, having engaged and defeated about 80% of the German armed forces,
    I said the Red Army Faction. Nice try.

ReputationRep:
    I seriously doubt there's only a few of you who would.

Uh if she takes part in violent protests she's committing a crime. As in actually smashing stuff.

Your suggestions are baseless and ridiculous. Where on earth did you get the idea that they want to murder people?

Again, not all protesters are violent, not all protesters smashed things. In fact, the majority simply marched and chanted around London.

You have some pretty warped ideas about what the average protester is like.

ReputationRep:
    Your suggestions are baseless and ridiculous. Where on earth did you get the idea that they want to murder people?

Again, not all protesters are violent, not all protesters smashed things. In fact, the majority simply marched and chanted around London.

You have some pretty warped ideas about what the average protester is like.
    I was talking about the violent ones, obviously enough.

ReputationRep:
    I

And what about the people who were arrested who didn't commit crimes and didn't smash stuff?

ReputationRep:
    I was talking about the violent ones, obviously enough.
    Why do you think they would murder someone?
    At worst there have been smashed objects, but nobody has seriously called for harm to any person.

ReputationRep:

Again, you seem to have a very warped idea of the protesters

ReputationRep:
    And what about the people who were arrested who didn't commit crimes and didn't smash stuff?
    Then hopefully the police will quickly find their innocence and they'll be freed. What the **** do you think?

ReputationRep:
    Again, you seem to have a very warped idea of the protesters
    Ok, your comprehension skills are too low, I won't bother.

Why do you think they would murder someone?
    At worst there have been smashed objects, but nobody has seriously called for harm to any person.
    hahaha

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 3, 2011
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.