Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Defending Balaclavas & Violent Protests watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    You get caught on camera in London something like 50 times a day. Unless you enter the city with a mask on its not going to help you if the Police but enough effort in.
    You really think they have the resources to do that for thousands of people and then charge them with public order offences where they're only likely to get a small fine at best?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by garethDT)
    You really think they have the resources to do that for thousands of people and then charge them with public order offences where they're only likely to get a small fine at best?
    Hence why I said if they really wanted to.

ReputationRep:
    Great post OP, couldn't have said it better.

Once the protests pass the 1 million barrier the met police will be in serious danger of losing control of the city.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Of course there will be some collateral damage. You cannot engage in an operation on this scale without there being some collateral damage.

But lets see the bigger picture. This is a regime which has access to weapons of mass destruction, which has got a record of selling weapons to some of the most distasteful dictators in the world (not least, in the context of recent events, Gaddafi). If it is allowed to stay in power then it poses a threat not just to the stability of the Middle East but to other regions as well.
    Just for clarification, are you refering to the UK or Libya?
    If you refering to Libya, fair enough.
    If your refering to the UK, GTFO of here troll.

ReputationRep:
    Great post OP, couldn't have said it better.

Once the protests pass the 1 million barrier the met police will be in serious danger of losing control of the city.
    You say that as if the police losing control of a city is a good thing.
    And no it's never going to pass the 1 million mark.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pol pot noodles)
    You say that as if the police losing control of a city is a good thing.
    And no it's never going to pass the 1 million mark.
    it is

and

it is

ReputationRep:
    Why do people never realise that irrational violence is never justified?

ReputationRep:
    it is

and

it is
    It's not a good thing.

And no. Even in Britain there aren't 1 million A grade morons who have such little clue about life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pol pot noodles)
    It's not a good thing.

And no. Even in Britain there aren't 1 million A grade morons who have such little clue about life.
    I'll hold you to that statement.

ReputationRep:
    You only have a right to peaceful protest. like it or lump it.

violence is never going to get you what you want in the UK.

Its as simple as that and it wont change in our lifetimes.

oh, a question to those who justify violent action: how would you feel if such a protest took place on your home street and your house and car got trashed/burned as part of the "demonstrations"??? would you be completely calm and accept its the cost we pay in life or would you be angry and upset that such violence took place and want the offenders arrested?

And retorting with "but we only smash up coorporate buildings/assets" is unacceptable as who do you think pays for them?? yes you and i so destruction increaseses the prices we the consumer pay and means front line staff on usually low wages are less likely to get a pay rise as profits are damaged by the violence.

So the irony is you are hurting the people you claim to support.

same with violent protest needing heavy police response meaning less police money to catch burglars, robbers, druggy scum and other criminals who make the lives of ordinary decent folk a misery. So again hurting your own people. own goal number 2......

Same with injuries to people involved clogging up an already busy NHS with totally avoidable injuries meaning less money for genuine medical illness.... own goal number 3.....

so what is your end game??? you KNOW the government will NEVER back down to you so what so you hope to acheive??? a revolution???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by warrenpenalver)
    You only have a right to peaceful protest. like it or lump it.

violence is never going to get you what you want in the UK.

Its as simple as that and it wont change in our lifetimes.

oh, a question to those who justify violent action: how would you feel if such a protest took place on your home street and your house and car got trashed/burned as part of the "demonstrations"??? would you be completely calm and accept its the cost we pay in life or would you be angry and upset that such violence took place and want the offenders arrested?

And retorting with "but we only smash up coorporate buildings/assets" is unacceptable as who do you think pays for them?? yes you and i so destruction increaseses the prices we the consumer pay and means front line staff on usually low wages are less likely to get a pay rise as profits are damaged by the violence.

So the irony is you are hurting the people you claim to support.

same with violent protest needing heavy police response meaning less police money to catch burglars, robbers, druggy scum and other criminals who make the lives of ordinary decent folk a misery. So again hurting your own people. own goal number 2......

Same with injuries to people involved clogging up an already busy NHS with totally avoidable injuries meaning less money for genuine medical illness.... own goal number 3.....

so what is your end game??? you KNOW the government will NEVER back down to you so what so you hope to acheive??? a revolution???
    When you can't change the system, you remove the system. Simple as that.

ReputationRep:
    and you think that is realistic? really?? if you do then there's a bed waiting for you in Rampton Hospital.

In this country the only way to change things is use your vote wisely. shame the majority dont have the education or knowledge or care enough to do the same.

ReputationRep:
    I can understand why most of the people are protesting. I know many of them may lose there jobs or have some services cut, but I think that's the right thing to do and an awful lot of them have jobs that shouldn't exist. Not there fault I know, but its going to happen.

I also think a lot of the people are mindless yobs and anarchist who just like smashing things up.

After lots of trying I know its impossible to try and reason with these people, so all I can say is 'Bring it, *****'. If I could I would be on the front line with the police and a big stick to crack some heads.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renner)
    I also think a lot of the people are mindless yobs and anarchist who just like smashing things up.
    (Original post by Aj12)
    So you think violent protest and trashing private property ATM's by idiots with faces covered who are not trying to make any political point should be allowed?
    (Original post by pot pot noodles)
    I don't beleive you should defend hooligans and anti-social louts.
    (Original post by hamijack)
    Most of the people who were doing the smashy-smashy on Saturday were part a bunch of middle-class teenagers
    (Original post by danmart1n)
    And violence is never the answer.
    (Original post by ish90an)
    As opposed to smashing up a few retail branches and disrupting staff who make around the average salary
    (Original post by Craig_D)
    Why do people never realise that irrational violence is never justified?
    "We got drunk, trashed the Ritz & then went down Piccadilly to loot a few items from Fortnums" - Boris Johnson Autobiography, in reference to the Bullingdon Club 1986.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollywoodbudgie)
    FML. I can't begin to count the number of news stories about Camilla getting poked by some stick (because it's a great idea to drive into the middle of a violent protest with your window down), but does anyone remember Alfie Meadows? He only needed brain surgery after he was allegedly struck on the head when he was trying to leave the December protest. :rolleyes:

I agree, paint on a car vs severe head trauma? Hello, where are your priorities people? I was kinda disgusted that the headlines on the news were about the royal car tbh

Well excuse some of the non violent protestors for not wanting their faces to be on the front of the Times. This is just another political incentive to stop people from protesting. This

Your average voter is not that acquainted with politics, so how are they meant to be able to figure out what can actually be done? Votes should not be expected to become some sort of Sherlock Holmes trying to decipher the hidden codes and meanings behind what politicians say. Some people feel they didn't get what they voted for. What are they supposed to do now? Accept it?
    In bold.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Yeah because if you show up to court with just a picture of someone in London you will get a conviction.
    I didn't say that.

The photos can be circulated in the media, asking people to name the person to come forward for arrest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollywoodbudgie)
    I think you make a fair argument, but I disagree with you in quite a few areas. For instance, I would certainly not call someone who is 'anti-Tory' a moron as it just shows evidence of your own political bias distorting your viewpoints.

There are plenty of perfectly intelligent people who are anti-Tory. This

Nor would I dismiss a protest because a lot of the people were 'habitual protesters'. If anything, that highlights that there are many people who have serious concerns with the state and they too have a right to have their concerns addressed. Moreover, although over 400,000 turned up to the main event, you have to remember that a significant amount of people do not go to protests yet they share the same opinion of those who are protesting. Therefore, it is not so much the number of people that are protesting that matters, but more of the fact that a lot of people felt so strongly about this that a large protest took place.
    Yes

I also agree with you that it is incredibly difficult to change a goverment's stance on something, however, I think that there is a deeper power to protests than that of simply voicing an opinion. Protests ultimately create chaos, and in chaos the goverment becomes more wary of the people, thus helping us to strive for better. When we are at orderliness, we develop a false sense of peace that makes us too complacent or lazy and hence allows goverments to put less thought into some of their actions. I also think that this is worth the cost of damage, especially to such hotels charging £400 a night. I'm pretty sure it's more than £400 per night
    Bold

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    If they ban face masks at demo's invariably there will simply a be a mass defiance protest where thousands turn up wearing face masks just to see what the governments response is.
    Everyone should wear burqas imo.

ReputationRep:
    Hasn't Barack Obama said that whereever there are people wanting to be free, the US will support them?

Maybe the US will provide air strikes to support the protestors? Diminish Cameron's forces so he can't repress them?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by dannymccs)
    "We got drunk, trashed the Ritz & then went down Piccadilly to loot a few items from Fortnums" - Boris Johnson Autobiography, in reference to the Bullingdon Club 1986.
    Whats your point? BoJo did a twatish thing when younger. Just because a Tory does something it is suddenly ok ?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 3, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.