Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meowmeowmutiny)
    You think people who collect seeds are trying to starve us all to death to somehow get rich, I don't think you have any idea of what is going on in the real world.
    ignorance is bliss

ReputationRep:
    I honestly don't see how you can consider intimidation and violence an acceptable part of politics. Do you have any friends or family living in a country where political violence is the norm? Turns out it's not a bunch of happy go lucky rogues standing up for themselves, it's just brutal, horrific and ****ing dehumanising.

Here in the UK we have a democracy where we can distribute power as fairly as we can manage. No, it's not fair and there are many things wrong with it. It's the worst system, aside from all the others.
    I understand that the viewpoints have expressed will come across as controversial to many people. I sincerely hope that you read the whole of my OP with an open mind rather than simply responding to the title of the thread. For starters, I would like to clarify to you that in no way is 'violence' supposed to be romantic or something for us to enjoy. I am merely pointing out that although we have a democracy, sometimes it takes more than lighting candle vidils in the streets to express the rage the people feel.

Obviously, different people want different things. This is resolved through the democracy.
    Of course, and people respond to different things in different ways. Cuts impact everybody; hence different people react differently to it. I respect your faith in how much democracy could actually solve. As I wrote in a previous post, our current goverment was voted in by only 61% of the voting population of which 18,988,026 people did not vote for the Conservatives. A small minority voted for a coalition and most of them did not get what they wanted because some of the key policies they voted for were left out. How could we expect change to come by voting for people who say one thing and then have the free will to do something else?

So why is it that when you don't get what you want, you feel it's acceptable to use violence? How is that remotely constructive? Imagine what would happen if every time somebody lost out, they decided to use violence. Not pretty.
    I could ask you, 'how is voting constuctive?' based on the points I made above. In any case, however, a violent protests create chaos, and in chaos the goverment becomes more wary of the people. As I quoted Thomas Jefferson before... 'When people fear their government, there's tyranny when the government fears the people there is Liberty.' When we are at orderliness, we develop a false sense of peace that makes us too complacent or lazy and hence allows goverments to put less thought into some of their actions because the people are not pushovers. The point is, violent protests are quite rare in the UK. The fact that they are occuring, increasingly frequently, highlights that the people are getting increasingly frustrated with the goverment.

It's ok to justify violence when it's you against THE MAN in the banks and the government. Where do you draw the line on what's ok? Perhaps somebody who voted conservative deserves to be beaten up? How about a minor shareholder in the banks?
    Our attacks are directed at property rather than people. It is unfortunate that policemen get injured when we try to resist them, and I sympathise with them, but we get hurt far more, by both police violence, gang violence and state violence.

You're no better than the EDL, perhaps you're sympathetic to the tactics of the National Front, maybe you're ok with the Red Army Faction. Please think again :/
    I find that quite hurtful considering the utter repugnance I feel towards the EDL- who I should also point out are right wingers as well as islamophobic racist c*nts, however, that is your opinion and hence I'll leave you to it. With regards to the EDL protests, although they disgust me, they have a right to protest as the Freedom of Speech, afterall is key to maintaining a democracy.

ReputationRep:
    Like James Delingpole said:

They came in their thousands from across the land – babies, pensioners, Ed Miliband, both the people who still watch 10 O’Clock Live. Their aims were simple, their intentions pure. They were marching against INJUSTICE. They were yearning for a Better Britain.
    They were campaigning for a brighter, nobler, fairer world where:

Britain’s economy can compete on almost equal terms with those of Albania and Burkina Faso.

Media studies, golf course management and windsurfing technology students can watch Bully, Countdown and Fifteen to One, down 15 pints, a couple of special K and a pack of plant growth stimulant in the subsidised Mandela bar before retiring for a night’s gaming on their PS3s unencumbered by the fear of ever having to pay for their vital, economy-boosting education.

All those selfish greedy *******s who work for a living can have more of their money taken by the government and spent on worthwhile causes like million-pound-a-throw bombs to drop on Libya, diversity outreach consultants and communitarian think tanks run by Will Hutton.

Guaranteed job security and ring-fenced pensions for the people whose vitally
    important job it is to collate hospital reports showing whether you are a) white British, b) white, Irish, c) white, Traveller c) black, Caribbean d) black, African, e) black, Other…….

Britain’s international credit rating to be brought down to a more “fair” level, so as not to make the Greeks or the North Koreans feel jealous.

Anyone who runs a successful business enterprise – eg evil Philip Green of the wicked consumerist Top Shop chain – to have their legs cut off and their eyes gouged out and all their money spent on iPad 2s for the unemployed.

Tribute gallery celebrating Ed Miliband's historic speech:
    http://conservativehome.blogs.com/le...ry-speech.html

ReputationRep:
    This talk of broken promises (on the part of the Liberal Democrats, and politicians in general) making people "disgusted" is sickening - the people that want more handouts (in the form of government-funded services, subsidies for choice interests (universities, etc. etc.) are in fact supporting theft from others for their own benefit.

ReputationRep:
    James Delingpole is a ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bax-man)
    This talk of broken promises (on the part of the Liberal Democrats, and politicians in general) making people "disgusted" is sickening - the people that want more handouts (in the form of government-funded services, subsidies for choice interests (universities, etc. etc.) are in fact supporting theft from others for their own benefit.
    So people who would rather keep their jobs than go on the dole are thieves?

**** you!

ReputationRep:
    the people that want more handouts (in the form of government-funded services, subsidies for choice interests (universities, etc. etc.) are in fact supporting theft from others for their own benefit.
    I don't agree entirely with the rise in tuition fees, even though it won't affect me.

I don't agree with cutting staffing levels of nurses, even though it won't affect me, but it will affect elderly people and the level of care they receive.

I don't agree with the cuts to disability benefits and I'm not disabled.

I could go on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ish90an)
    Its called an example. And if you didn't want to discuss this why quote me?

When a candidate puts forward his views, it is the job of the voters to identify the credibility and the practicality of those views. In the case of the Lib Dems, too many voters just took the "we will abolish all tuition fees" on face value without once considering whether this was actually going to be possible or not and voted Clegg in based on how many good sound-bytes he produced in the TV debates, and once the Lib Dems got in they were simply forced to turn back on the pledge they ran on because their proposals were impractical(which is why there is a feeling of split within the Lib Dem party atm).
    1 - Its a bad example that has nothing at all to do with the topic.

2 - I hope you realise that not every lib dem voter was convinced just by the tution fee pledge? For me at least, it was most of the policies, what they stood for, the fact they seemingly wanted to help the most vulnerable and not cut so fast and so deep. So much for that though.
    As I said, people vote for candidates and parties based on what is said. If what is said are total and utter lies, then how the hell can we call our democracy legit?

Bull****.
    So I guess you are of the opinion that people should sink or swim? The poor should just die off?
    What about the disabled, who are being victimised by the government (and by the Daily mail) as "scroungers".
    What about the people whose very jobs and futures are on the line because of this government?

(Original post by Time Tourist)
    Like James Delingpole said:
    He discredited himself when he mentioned golf management. That course (at Birmingham uni) requires high A level grades to get into, and has a very good track record of getting people into the industry. To just ignore at as a useless degree is naive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    So? If you are being looked for by the Police its going to mean you have done something wrong and they have evidence of it.
    They don't discriminate with who they photograph.

(Original post by creak)
    Um, dunno why you're raising the issue with me. I'm critical of the actions of the police.
    I know, I just had to include it in somewhere.

Also, were any of the arrested charged with anything?

(Original post by Steevee)
    Well, that's all good and well. Be as violent as you want, but don't complain when a PC cracks your skull. Because you'd best believe a lot of people are supporting him aswell. Many of us simpley don't want your hooliganism. So don't be so niave as to think that you're opinion is the only one that matters. At that sort of protest I'd sooner be in with the Bobbies than your lot.
    The problem is the police get frustrated when the violent ones get away, as they are always on the move. So they vent it out by taking it out on the peaceful protesters sitting down.

(Original post by Llamageddon)
    You've missed my point. Collectively the electorate has got what it voted for. The rejection and removal of a labour government without a full majority for the conservatives, and an increased say in government for the liberal democrats.
    Oh and what a success it's been! A time of civil obedience it won't be remembered as.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)

He discredited himself when he mentioned golf management. That course (at Birmingham uni) requires high A level grades to get into, and has a very good track record of getting people into the industry. To just ignore at as a useless degree is naive.
    joker

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Time Tourist)
    joker
    Nope. I am being serious.
    You can take the piss out of the course as much as you like, but as I said, at least at Birmingham it requires high entry grades, has great links with industry, and has a great record of getting its students into jobs after the degree.

ReputationRep:
    Dont lay down and take the **** the machine wants to dole out, you need to stand up for your rights, and if this means protesting then get on with it. But how to make a difference is what counts. "50 people surround royal car and smash it up", doesn't look good, "50 people sit down around royal car peacefully and sing kumbaya or other freedom songs" much better. those people should remember that the police had every right to shoot them in the head...
    A wise man once said if we all follow the old rule of an eye for an eye, we'd all be blind.
    if 1000 people turn up on 29th april and sit infront of westminster abbey, that will make a difference, that would get you noticed and arrested, but what would the charges be? none.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    Nope. I am being serious.
    You can take the piss out of the course as much as you like, but as I said, at least at Birmingham it requires high entry grades, has great links with industry, and has a great record of getting its students into jobs after the degree.
    good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollywoodbudgie)
    I understand that the viewpoints have expressed will come across as controversial to many people. I sincerely hope that you read the whole of my OP with an open mind rather than simply responding to the title of the thread. For starters, I would like to clarify to you that in no way is 'violence' supposed to be romantic or something for us to enjoy. I am merely pointing out that although we have a democracy, sometimes it takes more than lighting candle vidils in the streets to express the rage the people feel.
    I did, it read to me very much like someone rationalising something patently wrong.

Of course, and people respond to different things in different ways. Cuts impact everybody; hence different people react differently to it. I respect your faith in how much democracy could actually solve. As I wrote in a previous post, our current goverment was voted in by only 61% of the voting population of which 18,988,026 people did not vote for the Conservatives. A small minority voted for a coalition and most of them did not get what they wanted because some of the key policies they voted for were left out. How could we expect change to come by voting for people who say one thing and then have the free will to do something else?
    As I acknowleged, democracy has many problems. These of course are not resolved quickly, but how on earth does introducing violence into the system help? All it does is destroy, cause division and create extremists. No, the system is not perfect, but I do find it genuinely sickening that someone would want to revert to power by violence and intimidation. Especially so when so many people across the world are suffering as a result of it and so desperately hope for what we take for granted.

Again, it's the worst system aside from all the others.

(On the issue of the Lib Dems, we did all say they couldn't be trusted when everyone was jumping on the bandwagon, but were ignored :P)

I could ask you, 'how is voting constuctive?' based on the points I made above. In any case, however, a violent protests create chaos, and in chaos the goverment becomes more wary of the people. As I quoted Thomas Jefferson before... 'When people fear their government, there's tyranny when the government fears the people there is Liberty.' When we are at orderliness, we develop a false sense of peace that makes us too complacent or lazy and hence allows goverments to put less thought into some of their actions because the people are not pushovers. The point is, violent protests are quite rare in the UK. The fact that they are occuring, increasingly frequently, highlights that the people are getting increasingly frustrated with the goverment.
    Governments shouldn't fear innocents being hurt and their property destroyed. People shouldn't need to fear being attacked for expressing their legitimate democratic power, or even just the views they hold. Governments shouldn't have to fear a minority whipping up hatred. Governments should fear legitimate democratic power.

Our attacks are directed at property rather than people. It is unfortunate that policemen get injured when we try to resist them, and I sympathise with them, but we get hurt far more, by both police violence, gang violence and state violence.
    Tell me how you'd feel if members of a militant wing of the taxpayer's alliance tore down your home, smashed your car, and burned the business you'd been building for 10 years to the ground, just for being in the wrong place.

Your view on injuring policemen is pretty disgusting. Grow up.

I find that quite hurtful considering the utter repugnance I feel towards the EDL- who I should also point out are right wingers as well as islamophobic racist c*nts, however, that is your opinion and hence I'll leave you to it. With regards to the EDL protests, although they disgust me, they have a right to protest as the Freedom of Speech, afterall is key to maintaining a democracy.
    I'm under the impression that the EDL is primarily composed of working class whites, I can imagine they'd be primarily left wing in political outlook.

And yes, you're no different to the EDL members who beat up innocent asians and attack policemen. You're no different to political terrorists who murdered bankers and politicians, save for the difference of perhaps a decade or two. As a non-white who's seen the EDL protests, I can honestly say you are an equally repugnant, selfish and callous person. You don't belong in modern Britain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garethDT)
    James Delingpole is a ****.
    Correct.

ignorance is bliss
    Ironically, your irrationality aligns you with the above ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnoneMouse)
    Dont lay down and take the **** the machine wants to dole out, you need to stand up for your rights, and if this means protesting then get on with it. But how to make a difference is what counts. "50 people surround royal car and smash it up", doesn't look good, "50 people sit down around royal car peacefully and sing kumbaya or other freedom songs" much better. those people should remember that the police had every right to shoot them in the head...
    A wise man once said if we all follow the old rule of an eye for an eye, we'd all be blind.
    if 1000 people turn up on 29th april and sit infront of westminster abbey, that will make a difference, that would get you noticed and arrested, but what would the charges be? none.
    Anyone who goes out with the objective of deliberately disrupting that girl's special day deserves a good kicking, in my opinion.

After all, it's going to be ruining the day that every girl dreams of.

ReputationRep:
    yeah but the royal family are pricks, they just toss around doing less work than someone working hard for minimum wage, yet live in luxury. utter tossers...

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations on confirming that after thousands of years, the elite's tactic of divide and conquer is functioning better than ever.
    Congratulation son confirming that over the last few years young British people seem to have become petulant, entitled idiots.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)
    Congratulation son confirming that over the last few years young British people seem to have become petulant, entitled idiots.
    Better than being fat and stupid idiots blaming every thing that's wrong with society on immigrants

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by channy)

The problem is the police get frustrated when the violent ones get away, as they are always on the move. So they vent it out by taking it out on the peaceful protesters sitting down.

I'm yet to see an incident of truely unprovoked attack by the Police. And as demonstrated, even the most 'peaceful' student protesters did nothing to help the Police. Hell, even the EDL have taken charge of policing themselves to an extent, and many of their demo's have had less violence at them, even with inflammatory counter protesters.

As far as I'm concerned, any legitimate protester with the Law in mind should refuse to stand next to a 'Black Block' protesters, or be so implicated.

At the end of the day, I really don't care if people protest violently. Only when they then have the nerve to complain about the Police doing their jobs afterwards.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 3, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.