Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Find the coordinates of the points where the grpah if y=2x^3+3x^2-4x+1 cuts the x axis.

I know that for thisto happen y must =0 and drew the graph not sure what to do after

You need to solve the equation 2x^3+3x^2-4x+1=0. To do this you should factorise the left hand side using the factor theorem, or by comparing coefficients.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Try and spot a root -- usually a root will be one of -3, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3, but sometimes the root is 1/2 or -1/2 (and the hint in this case is usually the coefficient of x³ being 2... hint hint hint). Then you can factorise it.

Well, it's a polynomial, so we must apply that factor/remainder theorem again

As it ends in the constant 1, the only factors we can take out are 1, or -1

So we try and devide the equation by (x-1) and (x+1) to find which one gives us 0 remainder. The one that gives us a remainder 0 is a factor.

So, if we devide by (x-1) we get a remainder of 2, so is not a factor.

Applying the above theorem I could not get a remainder of 0, which is what I did in high school.

If you devide by (2x-1) you get a remainder 0 and so is a factor. (2x-1)(2x^2+4x-2) = 0

use the quadratic equation to get roots at x = 1/2 x = -1 +/- root 2

I'm at uni and struggling to remember the correct method, perhaps someone at that level would be able to give better answer :-\
What's the best type of cheese?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.