Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I've wasted my degree watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I used to work in a nursery. Whilst I loved it, and really enjoyed working with children, I always knew I was capable of doing more with my life. I decided to do an Access course and then start uni as a mature student (24) in the hope of achieving my full potential.

For a few years, this worked. I got the equivalent of 3 A* in my access course, got a scholarship to my first choice uni, got a 2:1 in Eng Lit, and then got a place on a primary PGCE.

I stuck the course out for 6 months. Progressing to becoming a teacher had been my main goal all throughout access and uni, but I was already having doubts before beginning the course if this was the right career for me. It wasn't. I still enjoyed working with the children, but couldn't cope with the 80hour weeks and amount of observation and assessment.

So, after those four and a half years, I've just been to an interview today... at a nursery. It's a job I'll enjoy, but it's only £12,000 a year and not using my degree at all. I owe 30grand student loans, and it just seems such a waste.

The only things I'm passionate about are writing and animals. I wish I could be an author but I know that's unrealistic. I'd love to be a journalist or write for a magazine, but have no idea how, or even if I'd be qualified, to get into this line of work.

Suppose I just needed a rant. I feel like my life has gone back to what it was five years ago and don't know where to go from here.

ReputationRep:
    Go abroad, don't pay back loans.

ReputationRep:
    you can get work placement sorted at a magazine/newpaper etc. Don't expect it to be paid though. If you don't fancy that. Check out projects abroad, they set you up with a journalism style palcement in a different country. I met a french girl doing it in South africa. Its a great way to get some experience on the CV, also to see the world as well.

What about seconardy school teaching?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laura loo)
    x
    I'm sure there must be graduate schemes into journalism. Find out who your local publishing house is (mine for example is Bauer Media). Look at internships; create your own online blog (personal and professional); talk to your old university's career service to see how they advise you get into journalism; report on stories and send them to your local newspaper; turn up to local council and community meetings and practice reporting; look at the BBC journalism training; find out about the NUJ and their training...

In a few years' time you could end up being a journalism lecturer at a college or university while still working freelance. Your teaching experience will be essential.

Finally, you haven't wasted anything; your degree has helped you learn about yourself. Admittedly, it's been an expensive life lesson... yet at the same time, invaluable.

ReputationRep:
    You need to have experience as well as a degree, I went to so many interviews and each one said that I didn't get the job because I didn't have enough experience, so I took 6 months out...did some free work for a company, and then after that finished I got a job straight away....try getting experience in what you want to do, and then build it up from there to apply for jobs

ReputationRep:
    Cheer up. The student loan will just sit there while you're earning that sort of money.

Nothing to stop you writing your book either - friend of mine got a book published (by a proper commercial publisher) and a comedy on the radio.
    obv you can't automatically bank on being the next JK Rowling but if you don't try you'll never get anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    Enducation is never a waste. It enriches your life I know that sounds pious, but I don't know what other advice to give you haha

ReputationRep:
    Anything you learn is good for you.

Protip: Set up your own nursery. BAM, profit.

ReputationRep:
    I used to work in a nursery. Whilst I loved it, and really enjoyed working with children, I always knew I was capable of doing more with my life. I decided to do an Access course and then start uni as a mature student (24) in the hope of achieving my full potential.

For a few years, this worked. I got the equivalent of 3 A* in my access course, got a scholarship to my first choice uni, got a 2:1 in Eng Lit, and then got a place on a primary PGCE.

I stuck the course out for 6 months. Progressing to becoming a teacher had been my main goal all throughout access and uni, but I was already having doubts before beginning the course if this was the right career for me. It wasn't. I still enjoyed working with the children, but couldn't cope with the 80hour weeks and amount of observation and assessment.

So, after those four and a half years, I've just been to an interview today... at a nursery. It's a job I'll enjoy, but it's only £12,000 a year and not using my degree at all. I owe 30grand student loans, and it just seems such a waste.

The only things I'm passionate about are writing and animals. I wish I could be an author but I know that's unrealistic. I'd love to be a journalist or write for a magazine, but have no idea how, or even if I'd be qualified, to get into this line of work.

Suppose I just needed a rant. I feel like my life has gone back to what it was five years ago and don't know where to go from here.
    Surely there are loads of other jobs now open to you because of your degree? I'm sure you could work within the vetinary or childcare sectors but a bit 'higher up the ladder' than you are now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry.C)
    If you work abroad do you not pay your loan back?
    Serious question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gummers)
    Serious question.
    As far as know, you are meant to but the amount of money/time it would require the loans company to find you means that they don't actually follow it up if you are outside the country. If you wanted to move back you would have to mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gummers)
    Serious question.
    I would be interested to hear more about this also, I am looking into moving abroad when I have finished my studies. I had always believed that you would still have to pay your fees back, otherwise wouldn't more and more people just move abroad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestofyou)
    do you have a death certificate? I have a tendency not to believe trolls. Especially when they are backed into a corner and have nothing else to say.
    I didn't know my dad, don't know his name, all I know is he died when I was 11.

See what you've got wrong is your perception of a troll. You're rendering me a troll simply because you don't agree with what I'm saying, or you're just denying it when you know it's true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidmarsh01)
    Because life isn't all about money.
    Life is about money when you're in a 30K debt lol

I'm very materialist myself, you may have guessed.

Another question, if life isn't all about money then why is OP moaning about only a 12K p/a salary?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper

you can progress to be e.g. early years practitioner if thats something you want to do? or even run your own nursery! don't fret because you haven't wasted your degree, promise!xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry.C)
    lol. You do realise they will track her down wherever she goes.
    Op, I feel emphatic towards you. Chin up. Life is full of ups and downs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude)
    If education isn't a waste then explain why :

OP is in 30K debt, wasted a lot of her life, and now has a 12K p/a job. When I have a job at 16 that pays more than 12K?
    Depends entirely on what degree you do and how good you are at it.

OP, by now you must have read tonnes of comments about finding a job relating to your Lit degree - journalism, sales, customer services roles (eg in banks), perhaps working for the RSPCA or some other animal welfare company as a spokesman or something...?

These are ideas off the top of my head. It doesn't seem like you've tried very hard at looking for a job... if you have then you're just fed up, but that doesn't mean you should throw in the towel.

ReputationRep:
    You won't pay back your loan earning £12K anyway, OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vanny17)
    lol. You do realise they will track her down wherever she goes.
    Op, I feel emphatic towards you. Chin up. Life is full of ups and downs.
    That's not empathy lol

That's " My lifes better than your, you feel pissed "

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude)
    Life is about money when you're in a 30K debt lol

I'm very materialist myself, you may have guessed.

Another question, if life isn't all about money then why is OP moaning about only a 12K p/a salary?

It's not so much the salary I'm annoyed about, more that I know I have the potential to do more/earn more than I am, but am in a rut.

And no, I don't regret going to uni because I enjoyed it, had a good time, made loads of friends, had lots of experiences I wouldn't have had and really enjoyed my degree. Plus it will open doors in the future, sometimes you need a degree for higher level jobs.

People aren't rating you down because of your opinion, just that you're an offensive prick who tried to insult someone you don't even know and your post had no relevance at all.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 1, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.