Turn on thread page Beta

I've wasted my degree watch

ReputationRep:
    Just to say, I know how you feel. Just dropped off a PGCE myself... for me, it's not wasted four years, just one, becuase I'm going on to a masters related to my degree, but...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laura loo)
    It's not so much the salary I'm annoyed about, more that I know I have the potential to do more/earn more than I am, but am in a rut.

And no, I don't regret going to uni because I enjoyed it, had a good time, made loads of friends, had lots of experiences I wouldn't have had and really enjoyed my degree. Plus it will open doors in the future, sometimes you need a degree for higher level jobs.

People aren't rating you down because of your opinion, just that you're an offensive prick who tried to insult someone you don't even know and your post had no relevance at all.
    If you can't find a job that pays more than 12K p/a then you don't have potential. Why would you give up after the last step, are you thick. You get 30K debt, amazing degree, amazing life, then you give up and settle for a 12K job....

If you have potential, find a better job then come back to TSR and I will personally made a thread apologizing to you

ReputationRep:
    I used to work in a nursery. Whilst I loved it, and really enjoyed working with children, I always knew I was capable of doing more with my life. I decided to do an Access course and then start uni as a mature student (24) in the hope of achieving my full potential.

For a few years, this worked. I got the equivalent of 3 A* in my access course, got a scholarship to my first choice uni, got a 2:1 in Eng Lit, and then got a place on a primary PGCE.

I stuck the course out for 6 months. Progressing to becoming a teacher had been my main goal all throughout access and uni, but I was already having doubts before beginning the course if this was the right career for me. It wasn't. I still enjoyed working with the children, but couldn't cope with the 80hour weeks and amount of observation and assessment.

So, after those four and a half years, I've just been to an interview today... at a nursery. It's a job I'll enjoy, but it's only £12,000 a year and not using my degree at all. I owe 30grand student loans, and it just seems such a waste.

The only things I'm passionate about are writing and animals. I wish I could be an author but I know that's unrealistic. I'd love to be a journalist or write for a magazine, but have no idea how, or even if I'd be qualified, to get into this line of work.

Suppose I just needed a rant. I feel like my life has gone back to what it was five years ago and don't know where to go from here.

Have you looked into being a teaching assistant OP. HLTA's earn more than 12k and you get to work with children, just not teaching. You may even rediscover your passion for teaching

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vanny17)
    lol. You do realise they will track her down wherever she goes.
    Op, I feel emphatic towards you. Chin up. Life is full of ups and downs.
    They would most likely have to spend more money tracking her down and getting her back than they would get from the repayment of loans. I know of people who have done this, and they have succeeded. They won't chase you down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude)
    I'm pretty sure you didn't need a degree for that job. It's who you know not what you know, you wasted your ****ing life hoe, become a prostitute?
    She didn't waste her '****ing life' she was about to become a teacher but then decided to get a career change but don't know how to. Which is why she's on this ****ing forum asking for advice.

Now be a nice guy and try to help her or GTFO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry.C)
    Go abroad, don't pay back loans.
    If you go abroad and don't pay back loans they will force you to pay the whole sum in one installment using legal actions. Terms & Conditions is a tricky thing...

ReputationRep:
    That's not empathy lol

That's " My lifes better than your, you feel pissed "
    I think someone does not know the definition of empathy :Lol: I did not even state that my life was better than hers. Stop being condescending. Chillax mate, not one is out to get you!!

ReputationRep:
    I used to work in a nursery. Whilst I loved it, and really enjoyed working with children, I always knew I was capable of doing more with my life. I decided to do an Access course and then start uni as a mature student (24) in the hope of achieving my full potential.

For a few years, this worked. I got the equivalent of 3 A* in my access course, got a scholarship to my first choice uni, got a 2:1 in Eng Lit, and then got a place on a primary PGCE.

I stuck the course out for 6 months. Progressing to becoming a teacher had been my main goal all throughout access and uni, but I was already having doubts before beginning the course if this was the right career for me. It wasn't. I still enjoyed working with the children, but couldn't cope with the 80hour weeks and amount of observation and assessment.

So, after those four and a half years, I've just been to an interview today... at a nursery. It's a job I'll enjoy, but it's only £12,000 a year and not using my degree at all. I owe 30grand student loans, and it just seems such a waste.

The only things I'm passionate about are writing and animals. I wish I could be an author but I know that's unrealistic. I'd love to be a journalist or write for a magazine, but have no idea how, or even if I'd be qualified, to get into this line of work.

Suppose I just needed a rant. I feel like my life has gone back to what it was five years ago and don't know where to go from here.
    you got a 2.1 in English Literature, I am pretty sure you can become a writer for a magazine? or perhaps a Newspaper?

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure you didn't need a degree for that job. It's who you know not what you know, you wasted your ****ing life hoe, become a prostitute?
    :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I think someone does not know the definition of empathy :Lol: I did not even state that my life was better than hers. Stop being condescending. Chillax mate, not one is out to get you!!
    I know what empathy is, and you're rubbish at portraying it. You sounding like you was talking down on her " Awww it's okay bubba everything will be just fine* Pat on the back "....

ReputationRep:
    If you can't find a job that pays more than 12K p/a then you don't have potential. Why would you give up after the last step, are you thick. You get 30K debt, amazing degree, amazing life, then you give up and settle for a 12K job....

If you have potential, find a better job then come back to TSR and I will personally made a thread apologizing to you
    I've only been out of work for 2 weeks today, this is the first job that's come up that I can do for now. Yeah, I could just sit around claiming benefits but I don't want to do that, so surely it's better to take this job as the alternative? I never said I'd do it long term, just feels like a step back is all.

And it's not your opinion on education that pissed me off, just the fact you called me a hoe and suggested prostitution. Manners are free you know, clearly you don't have any.

ReputationRep:
    They would most likely have to spend more money tracking her down and getting her back than they would get from the repayment of loans. I know of people who have done this, and they have succeeded. They won't chase you down.
    :rofl: I commend you for the time and energy you took to eleborately explain it to me. They surely will not chase me down because I am not in her scenario. What happened to the OP is truly awful though

ReputationRep:
    I thought you only paid back your loan when you wee earning more than £15,000

ReputationRep:
    I know what empathy is, and you're rubbish at portraying it. You sounding like you was talking down on her " Awww it's okay bubba everything will be just fine* Pat on the back "....
    2 words: Grow up. Who made you the judge anyways, you do not have any respect for girls.

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: I commend you for the time and energy you took to eleborately explain it to me. They surely will not chase me down because I am not in her scenario. What happened to the OP is truly awful though
    Its used to refer to an indefinitely specified person, not specifically you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Goose)
    Have you looked into being a teaching assistant OP. HLTA's earn more than 12k and you get to work with children, just not teaching. You may even rediscover your passion for teaching
    Yes, I've looked into it and it's something that I'd seriously consider, as there's a lot of room for progression to higher levels, as you say. And I love the classroom environment and have really good references from the schools I worked at, but I've applied everywhere and nowhere has any vacancies at the moment.

I just need to get my foot in the door, I'm hoping a vacancy may pop up at one of the schools I was on my placement at, as I know I'd stand a really good chance then.

ReputationRep:
    Its used to refer to an indefinitely specified person, not specifically you.
    Alright. :K:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestofyou)
    do you have a death certificate? I have a tendency not to believe trolls. Especially when they are backed into a corner and have nothing else to say.
    I don't actually think TheCurlyHairedDude's a troll tbh, just someone who can be rather rude and blunt at times

ReputationRep:

:troll:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaosu_souzousha)
    you got a 2.1 in English Literature, I am pretty sure you can become a writer for a magazine? or perhaps a Newspaper?
    I'd love to do this, but I just have no idea how to get into it. There seems to be nowhere around here that gives career advice, at least not to an oldie like me lol. And I was more focused on the education side, volunteering at schools etc whilst at uni, so I didn't write for the uni paper or have a portfolio or anything, so I don't really know how to get into this line of work.

Everyone says I write really well, and my sister wants to do journalism at uni, but I guess I just feel I've left it too late to go down this road now? I just need some advice, but don't know where to get it. :confused:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 1, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.