Turn on thread page Beta

I've wasted my degree watch

ReputationRep:
    OP, if you're considering journalism and magazine work, would you could consider a NCTJ course? I was considering journalism myself, but then I got rejected from an NCTJ course I applied to . But you have a 2:1 in English Literature so I'm sure you're at far more of an advantage than me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by siwelmail)
    :troll:
    ???? Why would you think my post's a troll?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    OP, if you're considering journalism and magazine work, would you could consider a NCTJ course? I was considering journalism myself, but then I got rejected from an NCTJ course I applied to . But you have a 2:1 in English Literature so I'm sure you're at far more of an advantage than me.
    Yes, I would consider it. I suppose the thing that's stopping me is that it's yet more studying, which I don't mind in itself, but I feel so behind with my career already (I'm 27) and have studied for so long that I feel so much pressure to actually start earning now. My family would go ballistic lol. I guess I'm just one of these people who didn't decide what they wanted to do until later in life, and now I'm behind with things like getting a mortgage, pension saving etc.

I will look into the course though, thanks for the advice.

ReputationRep:
    I think people are deciding what to do with their lives way too early (in general) and in the end want to do something else.

ReputationRep:
    I think its too easy to say 'Im going to become a journalist'. I have spent the last 7 years of my life writing for publications, editing my college paper, doing placements and am currently studying History and French at Durham. Journalism is a slog, and you won't get taken seriously without lots of unpaid work experience. It's never too late, but it will be hard for you to do lots of unpaid work experience without a student loan etc. If I was you, I would take this job, take full advantage of the long holidays and apply for work experience in those. At the same time, write articles, search things out, and just send them to your local paper for the time being. Everybody has to start somewhere.

As you get more experience, you'll have more chance of getting on to an NCTJ course. Of course you know what I'm about to say, but thousands of people want to be journalists. What type of journalist do you want to be? If you don't mind me saying, you're abit vague. Broadcast? Communication within a company? Print? Web based?

Obviously, journalism pays horribly as well until you start a column in a weekly paper, but you don't just get disocvered. Consistency is the key for journalism and pay anywhere near £12000 isn't going to appear for a few years.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do. Sorry I don't have any ideas re. teaching. Though, you could start a blog anonymously about the secrets of teaching/what nobody ever told you etc. That might be interetsing and a good point of reference in a job interview.

Media is becoming increasingly less about print at the moment, so this will look good.

x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laura loo)
    Yes, I would consider it. I suppose the thing that's stopping me is that it's yet more studying, which I don't mind in itself, but I feel so behind with my career already (I'm 27) and have studied for so long that I feel so much pressure to actually start earning now. My family would go ballistic lol. I guess I'm just one of these people who didn't decide what they wanted to do until later in life, and now I'm behind with things like getting a mortgage, pension saving etc.

I will look into the course though, thanks for the advice.
    Depending on where you do it, it's normally only for one year, and there are some that are for even less time, like one in Brighton which is for only 11 weeks! That's the one I tried for, and when I went to the interview there were other people trying for it who were young like me, as well as some older people. It doesn't matter too much about age as long as they think you're right for it.

Also, you might be able to just get a placement or a job at a magazine by writing to one. Glamour magazine has this series of articles about how the staff working at that magazine got their jobs, and most of them got it after writing in to different magazines asking for work experience after doing their degrees. So you could try it, I suppose it can't hurt.

ReputationRep:
    You love writing, children and animals.

The solution is;

Write child books about animals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyler.)
    You love writing, children and animals.

The solution is;

Write child books about animals.

Bingo! Seriously, this is a good idea for something to do in my spare time. Who knows, I could become the next C.S. Lewis or Kenneth Grahame.

Now where's my writing pad and pen....

ReputationRep:
    OP, I think your problem is you're lacking in imagination.

There are tons of side-paths you could take - teaching abroad, get qualified for TEFL. Take some time to discover a new place and think of what you want to do.

You need to be a bit more get up and go about this. The perfect job isn't going to materialize. You need to have a proper think about what you want, ad then go for it.

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to do this, but I just have no idea how to get into it. There seems to be nowhere around here that gives career advice, at least not to an oldie like me lol. And I was more focused on the education side, volunteering at schools etc whilst at uni, so I didn't write for the uni paper or have a portfolio or anything, so I don't really know how to get into this line of work.

Everyone says I write really well, and my sister wants to do journalism at uni, but I guess I just feel I've left it too late to go down this road now? I just need some advice, but don't know where to get it. :confused:
    I would check all the major Magazines or Newspapers for instance, see if they have any vacancies. E-mail them if necessary, employers usually provide crucial training for their employee. That's how I got my work experience in the manufacturing industry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry.C)
    As far as know, you are meant to but the amount of money/time it would require the loans company to find you means that they don't actually follow it up if you are outside the country. If you wanted to move back you would have to mind.
    Ahhh right, thank you!
    I suppose if you where to move back home though your loan would be massive (not that it'll be smaller to begin with) due to interest and not paying any of it off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaosu_souzousha)
    you got a 2.1 in English Literature, I am pretty sure you can become a writer for a magazine? or perhaps a Newspaper?
    Yes - it's this easy... :rolleyes:

OP if you do want to go into journalism, you will have to make a real commitment, do a post-graduate / NCTJ course, do as much work experience as you can, and be prepared to go right back to earning £12k if you end up with a local reporter role.

There are opportunities out there and there's absolutely no reason you can't succeed if you're dedicated, but just remember that there are a ridiculous number of people out there all aiming for the same thing so it may be a very long road...

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, most people are in your position.

I got a 2:1 in chemical engineering and couldn't get a job. Now I'm doing postgraduate (although the money is a lot better than normal PhD).

My career starts relatively high and goes high, I think yours might start lower but I mean if you end up being a headteacher you could get some serious money. If you enjoy it, stick at it.

ReputationRep:
    omg you are such a loser

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gummers)
    If you work abroad do you not pay your loan back?
    Serious question.
    They expect you to, but for example, in some countries a monthly rent is about £150. Everything is cheaper and you will earn enough to have a great life there but never enough to have to start paying the loans back.

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to do this, but I just have no idea how to get into it. There seems to be nowhere around here that gives career advice, at least not to an oldie like me lol. And I was more focused on the education side, volunteering at schools etc whilst at uni, so I didn't write for the uni paper or have a portfolio or anything, so I don't really know how to get into this line of work.

Everyone says I write really well, and my sister wants to do journalism at uni, but I guess I just feel I've left it too late to go down this road now? I just need some advice, but don't know where to get it. :confused:

have you considered becoming a copywriter, you work for advertising agencies and work alongside graphic designers (basically you do all the words for the ad campaign or whatever they're working on ) but you get to work with a bunch of creative people and it could be a way of earning money while you write on the side.

ReputationRep:
    I used to work in a nursery. Whilst I loved it, and really enjoyed working with children, I always knew I was capable of doing more with my life. I decided to do an Access course and then start uni as a mature student (24) in the hope of achieving my full potential.

For a few years, this worked. I got the equivalent of 3 A* in my access course, got a scholarship to my first choice uni, got a 2:1 in Eng Lit, and then got a place on a primary PGCE.

I stuck the course out for 6 months. Progressing to becoming a teacher had been my main goal all throughout access and uni, but I was already having doubts before beginning the course if this was the right career for me. It wasn't. I still enjoyed working with the children, but couldn't cope with the 80hour weeks and amount of observation and assessment.

So, after those four and a half years, I've just been to an interview today... at a nursery. It's a job I'll enjoy, but it's only £12,000 a year and not using my degree at all. I owe 30grand student loans, and it just seems such a waste.

The only things I'm passionate about are writing and animals. I wish I could be an author but I know that's unrealistic. I'd love to be a journalist or write for a magazine, but have no idea how, or even if I'd be qualified, to get into this line of work.

Suppose I just needed a rant. I feel like my life has gone back to what it was five years ago and don't know where to go from here.
    I don't think your degree will ever be wasted. You've got a good degree and that will always be there if you need it in the future. A lot of people try teaching and find it's not for them-that's just what happens and I know plenty of teachers who hate the things you mention, like the lesson observations, all the petty form filling and having to work late and at weekends, not to mention what can happen if you get a crap management.
    The good thing about it is that you haven't stuck it out for years and then found it was much much harder to change to something else.Something else will come along if you look, and working temporarily in a nursery means you can do something you are OK with while you work out what to do next.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    You won't pay back your loan earning £12K anyway, OP.
    I was waiting for someone to finally say that. Took until the 18th post for someone to mention it lol

ReputationRep:
    Why not take the job and write or study in your own free time. Plenty of actors have to take other jobs or careers. Harrison Ford had to go back to carpentry until Star Wars came along. David Jason had to become an electrician. Look for other work opportunities when they come up.

I intend to study English and become a writer and lecturer and I'm 35. If you take the job at least it will keep you occupied, being unemployed can get you down and this leads to negative thinking. Do not give up but try to focus on a career you would enjoy not just for financial reasons. Otherwise you end up going nowhere if you keep changing your mind. You also need to talk to friends not the internet.

You sound as though your thoughts are clouding your rational judgement. I have studied psychology as well as science and they are helping me now do my college English course so no education is ever wasted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry.C)
    Go abroad, don't pay back loans.
    I was told that doesn't work anymore.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 1, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.