Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davezk)
    Don't worry, most people are in your position.

I got a 2:1 in chemical engineering and couldn't get a job. Now I'm doing postgraduate (although the money is a lot better than normal PhD).

My career starts relatively high and goes high, I think yours might start lower but I mean if you end up being a headteacher you could get some serious money. If you enjoy it, stick at it.
    I am surprised you couldn't find a job as a Chem.Eng :eek:
    There is a shortage of engineers worldwide in general. Russia pays big bucks for qualified engineers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    They expect you to, but for example, in some countries a monthly rent is about £150. Everything is cheaper and you will earn enough to have a great life there but never enough to have to start paying the loans back.
    Oooo I understand. Thank you

(Original post by laura loo)
    I wish I could be an author but I know that's unrealistic.
    Only if you make it so. If you actually write a book and try and get it published, you have a hell of a lot more chance at success than not trying at all. Believe in yourself. Become a children's author, maybe? If you love writing, animals and children, I recommend Lucy Daniels' books to give you some ideas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude)
    I didn't know my dad, don't know his name, all I know is he died when I was 11.

See what you've got wrong is your perception of a troll. You're rendering me a troll simply because you don't agree with what I'm saying, or you're just denying it when you know it's true.
    no, its because you suggested prostitution. If you want to be taken seriously, take yourself seriously for a start

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    They expect you to, but for example, in some countries a monthly rent is about £150. Everything is cheaper and you will earn enough to have a great life there but never enough to have to start paying the loans back.
    Trust me to want to live in a country with a higher cost of living than the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laura loo)
    I used to work in a nursery. Whilst I loved it, and really enjoyed working with children, I always knew I was capable of doing more with my life. I decided to do an Access course and then start uni as a mature student (24) in the hope of achieving my full potential.

For a few years, this worked. I got the equivalent of 3 A* in my access course, got a scholarship to my first choice uni, got a 2:1 in Eng Lit, and then got a place on a primary PGCE.

I stuck the course out for 6 months. Progressing to becoming a teacher had been my main goal all throughout access and uni, but I was already having doubts before beginning the course if this was the right career for me. It wasn't. I still enjoyed working with the children, but couldn't cope with the 80hour weeks and amount of observation and assessment.

So, after those four and a half years, I've just been to an interview today... at a nursery. It's a job I'll enjoy, but it's only £12,000 a year and not using my degree at all. I owe 30grand student loans, and it just seems such a waste.

The only things I'm passionate about are writing and animals. I wish I could be an author but I know that's unrealistic. I'd love to be a journalist or write for a magazine, but have no idea how, or even if I'd be qualified, to get into this line of work.

Suppose I just needed a rant. I feel like my life has gone back to what it was five years ago and don't know where to go from here.
    As long as you're happy with what you're doing then there isn't anything wrong with it... But I doubt I could ever be happy with £12,000 a year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaosu_souzousha)
    I am surprised you couldn't find a job as a Chem.Eng :eek:
    There is a shortage of engineers worldwide in general. Russia pays big bucks for qualified engineers!
    That's what we were told before we did the degree.... the reality seems a bit different though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arch Enemy)
    Trust me to want to live in a country with a higher cost of living than the UK.
    You're used to Welsh prices as well, poor bugger. :X

ReputationRep:
    Why did you get a degree to work in a nursery? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stasiaxx)
    I was told that doesn't work anymore.
    By who exactly ?

Providing you move out of Europe can you explain to me what they're going to do about it ? They can send someone after you ? Great, as soon as that person lands in the country you are in they have absolutely no power. If they come after you, you report them to the police.

Countries don't extradite people for unpaid loans, especially not a loan that could be acquired at a student level. This does work, however you have to be very careful. I know a girl who did this. She no longer flies on planes that could have to land in England in an emergency. You know how hard it is to live like that ?

You can never come back to this country. That means never seeing family or friends again. People say "if that was possible everybody would do it". It's a load of rubbish. 99% of people I know would not be ok with never being able to come to the UK or europe again. You also wont be able to get on a plane that may have to make an emergency stop in Europe.

In conclusion, it's very possible to leave the country and never pay back loans. However most people would not be willing to do it because of everything it entails. International students can't get students and anyone that is a European national has enough family/friends to not want to do it.

ReputationRep:
    yes OP, get into journalism. a growth industry in desperate need of new graduates

also, what's so bad about teaching for someone in your position. once you're settled it's low stress with a reasonable salary and plenty of free time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fosters88)
    If you go back 15 years, almost all graduates walked into a good paid job as they stood out. Immediately after graduating my sister walked into a good career job that was well paid. 15 years on she is now Director of another company.

I'm afraid (as I am) you are part of the generation of graduates that no longer stand out. We have obtained a degree to keep us on par with everyone else, as there are too many graduates!
    Three years after graduating I managed to obtain a good paid job but it is certainly not what I intended to do when I studied my A levels and Degree.

You have not wasted your time obtaining a degree as at least its keeping you on par with most others. Everyone other graduate is in the same situation.
    Remember there are people out there that did not go to University and they are now finding it hard to get a bog standard job because graduates are applying for these jobs and their CV's stand out more. In the current climate you are lucky to have a job.

edit:
    I noticed this post and had to respond:

A lot of people have the potential "to do more" and "earn more" and are "stuck in a rut", so why should you be any different.
    Your situation is no different to anyone else. I think you have just hit the wall.
    In todays world, you holding a degree keeps you on par with most and thats a good thing.
    Remember you have a bog standard job, thus taken a job away from those who have not pursued education, they are in a bigger rut than you are.
    graduates always walked into good jobs? regardless of university or degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arenas123)
    By who exactly ?

Providing you move out of Europe can you explain to me what they're going to do about it ? They can send someone after you ? Great, as soon as that person lands in the country you are in they have absolutely no power. If they come after you, you report them to the police.

Countries don't extradite people for unpaid loans, especially not a loan that could be acquired at a student level. This does work, however you have to be very careful. I know a girl who did this. She no longer flies on planes that could have to land in England in an emergency. You know how hard it is to live like that ?

You can never come back to this country. That means never seeing family or friends again. People say "if that was possible everybody would do it". It's a load of rubbish. 99% of people I know would not be ok with never being able to come to the UK or europe again. You also wont be able to get on a plane that may have to make an emergency stop in Europe.

In conclusion, it's very possible to leave the country and never pay back loans. However most people would not be willing to do it because of everything it entails. International students can't get students and anyone that is a European national has enough family/friends to not want to do it.
    It was an admissions tutor who told me it didn't work anymore (i didn't ask he just announced it.) And because i want to work in Italy and most my immediate family will be in the UK, it would not be possible for me.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 1, 2011
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.