Turn on thread page Beta

Female Rugby Player's Fight Back To Fitness .. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkpenguin)
    Hi! Just thought I'd whack a quick message in here to say how awesome I think your consistency is with posting. Keep it up into 2012!

What position are you playing now? Heading for divisionals?
    Hey, thanks very much

I've moved to fly half, its a lot tougher than chilling on the wing but I love it! Also took on the role of kicker and captain so a lot of responsibility haha!

Yeah, got divisional trials on the 22nd of January, really looking forward to it since I watched last years trials from the sideline thanks to injury!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissLightyear)
    Hey, thanks very much

I've moved to fly half, its a lot tougher than chilling on the wing but I love it! Also took on the role of kicker and captain so a lot of responsibility haha!

Yeah, got divisional trials on the 22nd of January, really looking forward to it since I watched last years trials from the sideline thanks to injury!
    Excellent well done! Best of luck and let us know how it goes!

I'm bored of fly half now - moved there last season and am stressing out with the responsibility of it all! Full back is far more fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkpenguin)
    Excellent well done! Best of luck and let us know how it goes!

I'm bored of fly half now - moved there last season and am stressing out with the responsibility of it all! Full back is far more fun.
    Thanks, and will do

It is a lot of responsibility, but I love it! Although I have always fancied trying fullback. I guess when I move to women's next year I'll get a chance to try different positions, i'll probably end up back on the wing though!

ReputationRep:
    Yesterdays lifts

Squat 3x3 37.5kg
    OHP 3x5 20kg
    Straight leg Deadlift 3x8 25kg

ReputationRep:
    Ive decided to work on my cardiovascular fitness as well as strength, so went for a 5 mile bike ride (on a hilly route) to get me back into it today. Thought it would be a great idea to foam roll after it, so much pain yet so much relief!

Thinking of adding in some HIIT boxing after the weights tomorrow as well depending on how sore my legs are.

ReputationRep:
    whats these foam roller things i see people keep talking about?

what do you do for youe HIIT boxing if you dont mind me asking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    whats these foam roller things i see people keep talking about?

what do you do for youe HIIT boxing if you dont mind me asking
    http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/f...FoamRoller.htm

Basically to get rid of any knots in the muscle, its like a cheap version of a sports massage. Apparently great for preventing injury too.

Have you heard of Tabata training? Basically I get my brother to hold sparring pads (or if im on my own I just punch the air) and i do left jab, right jab, left jab, squat (for this i get my brother to swing the pad so if i dont squat i'll be it in the face ) and also make sure I actually squat rather than just bend down. The squats basically so my legs are worked aswell as arms.

You have an ipod right? theres a boxing app with workouts called 'mobile boxing coach' that my brother showed me, but he goes to a boxing gym with his rugby team so we usually just try out what he does there.

ReputationRep:
    http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/f...FoamRoller.htm

Basically to get rid of any knots in the muscle, its like a cheap version of a sports massage. Apparently great for preventing injury too.

Have you heard of Tabata training? Basically I get my brother to hold sparring pads (or if im on my own I just punch the air) and i do left jab, right jab, left jab, squat (for this i get my brother to swing the pad so if i dont squat i'll be it in the face ) and also make sure I actually squat rather than just bend down. The squats basically so my legs are worked aswell as arms.

You have an ipod right? theres a boxing app with workouts called 'mobile boxing coach' that my brother showed me, but he goes to a boxing gym with his rugby team so we usually just try out what he does there.
    brilliant, thank you!

i will have a look for that APP

oh those rollers sound good lol

ReputationRep:

looks like im not getting that app, it requires an upgrade and it seems my ipod doesnt want to upgrade :mad:

dont suppose you know any more good boxing ones i could get do you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    looks like im not getting that app, it requires an upgrade and it seems my ipod doesnt want to upgrade :mad:

dont suppose you know any more good boxing ones i could get do you?
    Ah right, im afraid I dont know of any others. I'm sure there'll be quite a few boxing workouts on the internet, and I will ask my brother when i next see him about what they do at the boxing club and let you know

ReputationRep:
    Ah right, im afraid I dont know of any others. I'm sure there'll be quite a few boxing workouts on the internet, and I will ask my brother when i next see him about what they do at the boxing club and let you know
    thank you, i would really appreciate it cause i would love to try out some boxing stuff at home

thank you very much!

ReputationRep:
    Deadlift 1x5 40kg
    Close grip Bench Press 3x5 25kg
    Bentover Barbell row 3x8 20kg

Concentrated on using my legs more in the deadlift and it really helped, reckon I had a bit more in me too and wish id pushed myself more!

Also did Tabata boxing, killer.

ReputationRep:
    Did a lot of skills work for rugby to prepare me for divisional trials day, included using a weighted ball to reinforce technique, learn a new technique and increase distance! Think that session may have affected my lifts today, but oh well, Id rather my lifts were affected by my rugby

Squat 3x5 35kg
    Bench 3x5 25kg
    Calf Raises 3x8 35kg
    Tricep dips 3x8

ReputationRep:
    Today I found out my rugby team are closing the pitches apart from matches till at least the end of January, thats 2 sessions a week down!

the good news is if I make it into the divisional squad I'll have a few higher intensity sessions which should help, for now I'll have to find something else to do instead of training.

Thinking of getting rid of lunges (can't stand them) for an extra deadlift so I'm squatting and deadlifting twice a week.

ReputationRep:
    Deadlift 45kg 3x5
    Strict press 20kg 3x5 <--- this just isnt improving at all
    Calf raises 37.5kg 3x8
    Power Clean 20kg 3x5

ReputationRep:
    You need to press more often to improve it. Also try doing it first in your workout. Power cleans should be first IMO as they are an explosive movement that require a lot of energy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    You need to press more often to improve it. Also try doing it first in your workout. Power cleans should be first IMO as they are an explosive movement that require a lot of energy.
    Yeah I realise I need to press more often to improve it, I'll try to do it first to see how it works out, cheers.

I'm not entirely happy with my powercleans atm, the catch isn't right! I've had a look at a few instructional videos but I still can't get it right! It's frustrating because I had it sorted before I had a load of time off.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I realise I need to press more often to improve it, I'll try to do it first to see how it works out, cheers.

I'm not entirely happy with my powercleans atm, the catch isn't right! I've had a look at a few instructional videos but I still can't get it right! It's frustrating because I had it sorted before I had a load of time off.
    What is it that's off?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    What is it that's off?
    Basically, whereas I used to manage to catch it like this

Ive started to catch it more with my arms, like this ...

I can cope with the weight Im doing but obviously I want to be able to increase the weight and the way ive started doing it will just lead to injury. I wondered if it was a flexibilty issue but its not improved since Ive worked on my flexibility.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, could be one of 2 things, probably both.

1. The weight is too light and you're pulling with your arms.
    2. You're not whipping your elbows round fast enough.

Have a look at this: http://upfitness.co.uk/articles/stre...e-power-clean/

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.