Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Female Rugby Player's Fight Back To Fitness .. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    Hmm, could be one of 2 things, probably both.

1. The weight is too light and you're pulling with your arms.
    2. You're not whipping your elbows round fast enough.

Have a look at this: http://upfitness.co.uk/articles/stre...e-power-clean/
    Thats brilliant, thanks

ReputationRep:
    So after the epic win yesterday against our rivals/ top of the league Im completely dead! Apparently my trick of putting vaseline on my knees to stop grazing on hard ground doesnt protect them against bruises and stud marks!

Training was cancelled tonight (never thought i'd be so happy about that) so decided to rest today, other than light cardio in the form of a 10 minute uphill walk to college from the bus stop and back. Will be back to the weights tomorrow depending on how stiff I am, at the minute I cant bend down.

ReputationRep:
    Did 3x5 30kg on squats then had to stop. My body just isnt up to it after fitness last night!

To be fair, last night we did;
    - '90s' x2, basically suicides but we had to sprint 10 yards and back, then 20 yards and back x4 in under 90 seconds.
    Relay: sprint 20 yards carrying 7.5kg sand bag, 10 squats, sprint back x2 each
    -90s
    relay: same as above but powercleans instead of squats
    -90s
    Relay: sprint 20 yards with a harness attached and a player holding you back x2 (trust me to be paired with the biggest prop!)
    -90s
    Relay: Sprint 20 yards with sand bag, 10 burpees, sprint back
    Forfeit --> our team lost this one so 10 press ups with 2 second pause at top and bottom
    -90s x2
    Relay: run 20 yards with sand bag, fitting in 10 OHP whilst running, 10 burpess, sprint back
    -90s
    relay: hurdles (with sand bag), powerclean, hurdles
    -90s x3

Then boxing using tackle bags of all things, no gloves so hands are battered today. We had to go up in a line, punch the bag as hard and fast as possible for 10 seconds and go back on a diagonal to the next bag. There were 7 bags so once we were in original positions we switched. did this 5 times.

Kicking practice tomorrow then resting Saturday for trials on sunday

ReputationRep:
    Just received an email to say ive made it into the North squad! Still have a lot of hard work to put in to get selected for the first match (about 30 in the squad) but it means I have access to strength and conditioning coaches and a physio which should hugely benefit me! Weve got a training weekend coming up which I think involves fitness testing, should be interesting to find out the results for that (I think I should be fitter than I am, this is probably my main weakness)

Its weird to think this time last year I was hobbling around after being on crutches for a while, and had already missed half the season!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissLightyear)
    Just received an email to say ive made it into the North squad! Still have a lot of hard work to put in to get selected for the first match (about 30 in the squad) but it means I have access to strength and conditioning coaches and a physio which should hugely benefit me! Weve got a training weekend coming up which I think involves fitness testing, should be interesting to find out the results for that (I think I should be fitter than I am, this is probably my main weakness)

Its weird to think this time last year I was hobbling around after being on crutches for a while, and had already missed half the season!
    That's awesome, congratulations!!

ReputationRep:

Congratulations! Don't let it stall you, though. Keep pushing from here and make the Super 4s!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkpenguin)
    Congratulations! Don't let it stall you, though. Keep pushing from here and make the Super 4s!
    Thanks! Im definitely seeing this as the start of all the hard work rather than the end!

ReputationRep:
    Cant actually remember my lifts from today, apart from Deadlift (2x5 45kg, 1x3 47.5kg)

Decided that due to rugby/fitness commitments it'd be better to do 3 exercises a day, so scrapped calf raises, close grip bench press and one of the deadlifts. I still aim to keep the weights up as I know it will benefit me, but I need to ensure im not doing too much so it affects my rugby. I think with 3 lifts I'll be able to up the intensity too so benefit more.

ReputationRep:
    Yesterday's lifts

squat 3x5 40kg
    bench press 3x5 27.5kg
    Straight Leg Deadlift 3x8 32.5kg

ReputationRep:
    Workout didnt really go to plan today

Started with Power Cleans, did 1x5 25kg confidently, moved it up to 27.5kg and messed up the catch. Tried on this weight two more times but missed the catch again (at least I know for sure what the problem is!) Was going to drop it back down and complete the sets but by now I was frustrated and knew it would affect my form - definitely dont want to get injured with North Games coming up!

Moved on to deadlift, 3x5 45kg quite comfortably.
    Tiredness started kicking in on the last set though (ive been up since 6am, which I know isnt early for some but I didnt get to sleep easily which didnt help! - and I spent 6 hours on public transport which makes you want to sleep!)

Decided to just use what energy I had left to do a kettlebell circuit:

One armed bent over row 15x4kg, 10x7.5kg, 5x9kg (x2)
    Goblet squats 20x9kg
    Floor press w/ 6kg medicine ball
    10 press ups
    10 V-sits with medicine ball
    Kettle Bell swings 15x4kg, 10x7.5kg, 5x9kg

Doesnt seem like much but it was high intensity with no breaks in between, thinking of adding this sort of thing more often

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna start adding kettlebells in soon, probably once the ski season is over.
    What was the problem with the catch in powercleans exactly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    I'm gonna start adding kettlebells in soon, probably once the ski season is over.
    What was the problem with the catch in powercleans exactly?
    I wasn't getting my elbows high enough so I couldn't keep the bar in place properly, if that makes sense?

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't getting my elbows high enough so I couldn't keep the bar in place properly, if that makes sense?
    Yep makes perfect sense, I often make the same error. I've got much better by focusing on whipping my elbows round and keepin my upper back really tight.

ReputationRep:
    Spent the weekend at a training camp, was definitely hard work but it was worth it for getting to know the team, getting a bit of one on one training and getting strength and conditioning and nutrition advice.

Now onto 6 small meals a day when I can and concentrating on getting more water in. Pretty sore so todays a recovery day then back to training tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    Really need to remember to update this

Had my first divisional match today, played the wole game, which was brilliant, but have mixed feelings tbh. First half started of quite bad, think this was down to nerves, but I got better as the game went on.

We lost by one point! Feel bad because If i'd have converted the second try we'd have won! (tbf it was from the touchline so no one expected me to get it).

Lets hope I can learn from this anyway

ReputationRep:
    OHP 22.5kg 3x5
    Squat 40kg x 3 (got interrupted at this point because my mum burnt herself and I had to sort her out :facepalm:

Bentover Barbell row 25kg 3x8 -- done after a 30 minute break because of the above issue.

That workout didnt exactly go to plan :P Planning on doing some steady state cardio on the bike in a bit too!

ReputationRep:
    haha i read "female rugby players fight" from the thread title.

needless to say i leave disappointed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martin jol)
    haha i read "female rugby players fight" from the thread title.

needless to say i leave disappointed
    Sorry to disappoint you, I tried to find a video of a fight on youtube as an apology, but this is the best I could do ...

Apparently we can control our anger

ReputationRep:
    Last night at training was pretty intense, we did a lot of contact with the U17 lads. It was great as I got the chance to work on tackling technique with people so much bigger/faster/stronger, but I wasnt half sore this morning!

Also went swimming after college, I overcame my fear of deep water! I couldnt swim in water that I cant stand up in, all psyhological of course, but today I swam, tread water and jumped in the deep end. I know this sounds ridiculous that at 18 I was scared of going in the deep end at a pool, which is why I had to conquer my fear. Im now even considering doing a lifeguard qualification :eek:

Because of the soreness from training, I went light on squats (3x5 @ 30kg) and made sure I went really deep and focussed on form to make it worthwhile.
    I then did another kettlebell workout.

Got a day of coaching tomorrow to look forward to as well!

ReputationRep:
    Last night at training was pretty intense, we did a lot of contact with the U17 lads. It was great as I got the chance to work on tackling technique with people so much bigger/faster/stronger, but I wasnt half sore this morning!

Also went swimming after college, I overcame my fear of deep water! I couldnt swim in water that I cant stand up in, all psyhological of course, but today I swam, tread water and jumped in the deep end. I know this sounds ridiculous that at 18 I was scared of going in the deep end at a pool, which is why I had to conquer my fear. Im now even considering doing a lifeguard qualification :eek:

Because of the soreness from training, I went light on squats (3x5 @ 30kg) and made sure I went really deep and focussed on form to make it worthwhile.
    I then did another kettlebell workout.

Got a day of coaching tomorrow to look forward to as well!
    Well done on conquering your fear! I can really recommend doing lifesaving. The training is really fun and good exercise!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 2, 2012
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.