Turn on thread page Beta

pleaseeee help me... difference in foundation degrees and honour degrees watch

ReputationRep:
    ok, in which case please ignore my previous answer, which was complete *******s.

ReputationRep:
    Given your confusion and apparent inability to do the most basic of research for yourself I'd say that foundation degrees are, for the most part, for 'people like you'.

Just go and work on a farm picking strawberries. It's for the best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foreveranon)
    Very much depends on you, your lifestyle and what you're intending to do! In my case I worked fulltime while studying fulltime because my classes were evening ones so I COULD (Okay, so I didn't sleep for those two years but I still averaged over 60% \o/) Now I'm on my top-up, I'm doing my final year while not working and thanks to crazy time management skills picked up from doing that I'm a) heading for a good first, b) getting considered for some decent jobs. VERY worth it for me.. but that's me.

Have a search at the universities you might be looking at for your top-up year. See if they offer top-up courses first off, and see what their requirements are. If needs be, call the admissions guys, they are usually very helpful.

yeah i totally get you! i need to work at least 16hours per week! car/socializing doesn't fund itself!! il get looking into it!cheers!! whats the funding like for theses courses?are they different from "normal degrees"???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)
    Given your confusion and apparent inability to do the most basic of research for yourself I'd say that foundation degrees are, for the most part, for 'people like you'.

someones unhappy! lighten up for gods sake!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cassidy1932)
    yeah i totally get you! i need to work at least 16hours per week! car/socializing doesn't fund itself!! il get looking into it!cheers!! whats the funding like for theses courses?are they different from "normal degrees"???
    I was funded through my employer for the first two years so I couldn't tell you, but the SLC should be able to help! For my final year I got a perfectly normal student loan and Northumbria were nice enough to also give me a bursary and scholarship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)

Didn't your mummy ever tell you that if you can't say anything nice you shouldn't say anything at all? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I was funded through my employer for the first two years so I couldn't tell you, but the SLC should be able to help! For my final year I got a perfectly normal student loan and Northumbria were nice enough to also give me a bursary and scholarship.
    well arn't you lucky!!! i hope i get something similar!! cheers for the advice! i intend to go ahead with foundation degree then!

ReputationRep:
    Didn't your mummy ever tell you that if you can't say anything nice you shouldn't say anything at all? :rolleyes:

hahahaha EXACTLY!!!! :congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle:

ReputationRep:
    well arn't you lucky!!! i hope i get something similar!! cheers for the advice! i intend to go ahead with foundation degree then!
    It's worth checking out all university literature before you pick your top-up year place for that reason. In my case, Northumbria is trying to strengthen its Computing department's reputation so anyone taking my course got £1000 scholarship \o/ And the bursary was to do with how much maintenance grant you got (high need area = a lot of people where just a little extra was the extra encouragement needed.)

Oh, also, don't forget that if you're studying full-time even if also working you get free council tax. Your college should be able to give you the relevant letter.

ReputationRep:
    whats exactly is a foundation degree?!?! Ive read online that "Foundation degrees are a new type of qualification that have been developed by the higher education sector in partnership with employers to ensure the skills they need are met" which is what employers want isn't it???

so what wrong with this??? Ive found one thats 2years in graphic design and advertising...with the opportunity to top up to a 3rd year for an honours degree with the awarding body Manchester Metropolitan University..... i don't fecking get it? if thats the case...why doesn't every1 do this???

some one please enlighten me!!!
    think of it as a house, you can build a house straight away but you will have some difficulty starting the construction. build a foundation first allows a quick and easy build of the house

in other words, foundation course prepares you for the honours course

ReputationRep:
    It's worth checking out all university literature before you pick your top-up year place for that reason. In my case, Northumbria is trying to strengthen its Computing department's reputation so anyone taking my course got £1000 scholarship \o/ And the bursary was to do with how much maintenance grant you got (high need area = a lot of people where just a little extra was the extra encouragement needed.)

Oh, also, don't forget that if you're studying full-time even if also working you get free council tax. Your college should be able to give you the relevant letter.
    well i live with the parents so that wot apply to me! your very helpful tho and full of knowledge!cheers!!! i best get to it then...as nothing ever seems straight forward!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by big-boss-91)
    think of it as a house, you can build a house straight away but you will have some difficulty starting the construction. build a foundation first allows a quick and easy build of the house

in other words, foundation course prepares you for the honours course
    thats a nice way to put it! i just wanted to make sure its worth doing! my worst fear is coming out the other end with little chance of getting a job! but i think il be alright?!?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    thats a nice way to put it! i just wanted to make sure its worth doing! my worst fear is coming out the other end with little chance of getting a job! but i think il be alright?!?:confused:
    foundation degrees only can do teach things when you'll end up learning the same thing again in the honours anyway. i skipped foundation and gone to degree because they teach same and more advanced of the subjects

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by big-boss-91)
    foundation degrees only can do teach things when you'll end up learning the same thing again in the honours anyway. i skipped foundation and gone to degree because they teach same and more advanced of the subjects

yeah i get what your saying....but if i top up in 3rd year it will equal an honours degree? which "would" mean its worthwhile and near enough the same as a "normal" degree? or i'm a completely wrong...sorry for my utter stupidness... Ive read that many different things its hard to work out whats the exact truth!:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

all i want is a degree that i can get a good job with.... in graphic design of course! i need to choose wisely as uni isn't cheap!

ReputationRep:
    yeah i get what your saying....but if i top up in 3rd year it will equal an honours degree? which "would" mean its worthwhile and near enough the same as a "normal" degree? or i'm a completely wrong...sorry for my utter stupidness... Ive read that many different things its hard to work out whats the exact truth!:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

all i want is a degree that i can get a good job with.... in graphic design of course! i need to choose wisely as uni isn't cheap!
    I think a lot of people are confusing "foundation degree" and "foundation year". The first is entirely different and, yes, it will do what you want.

ReputationRep:
    I think a lot of people are confusing "foundation degree" and "foundation year". The first is entirely different and, yes, it will do what you want.
    :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::party::party::party::party::party::party::party:
    woooooooooo!!!! enough said! x

ReputationRep:

if i were you, i'd skip the foundation degree and go straight to university.
    2 girls in my course done foundation degree and we easily caught up. pointless if you ask me, although, use a foundation degree as a back up plan just in case you can't get into university.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, because I think a lot of folk on this thread are getting confused.

Foundation Year - one year course to provide access to a regular university degree course, usually at that university.

Foundation Degree - two year course, which can either be done at a college and moderated by a university or at a university direct. Often with more work-based learning than a regular university degree course (eg, mine had two double unit work-based projects which had to be completed for an outside company) Can be topped up to a BSc with a one year top-up degree, which can either be at the same university which moderated you for the first two years, or a different one. Is actually counted as a qualification in itself if you don't top it up.

(I'd grumble about folk getting them mixed up, but really the fault lies in whoever decided to name them in the first place.)

ReputationRep:
    Okay, because I think a lot of folk on this thread are getting confused.

Foundation Year - one year course to provide access to a regular university degree course, usually at that university.

Foundation Degree - two year course, which can either be done at a college and moderated by a university or at a university direct. Often with more work-based learning than a regular university degree course (eg, mine had two double unit work-based projects which had to be completed for an outside company) Can be topped up to a BSc with a one year top-up degree, which can either be at the same university which moderated you for the first two years, or a different one. Is actually counted as a qualification in itself if you don't top it up.

(I'd grumble about folk getting them mixed up, but really the fault lies in whoever decided to name them in the first place.)

thanks for that!! thats what i needed to know.......so would you suggest taking a foundation degree?? at the moment i think it sounds like the better option?!?!?!
    but nothing ever is as good as it sounds..is it?!?!?!

ReputationRep:
    It can depend very much on how good the college is. Mine was utterly TERRIBLE (Work rarely marked on time, teaching not particularly good, paperwork never done) but there are better ones, so. If you can, talk to people currently on the course.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.