Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I have offers from Cardiff & Birmingham, both AAA, and I have absolutely no clue what one to put as my firm. They're both great cities; I visited them both and could see myself living in either one. Birmingham has more intercalated degrees on offer (would love to do an intercalated degree), is a bigger university, and it's higher in the league tables (although I'm sure that doesn't matter), yet the medical school is quite big and I hear that you'll never get to know/meet everyone in your year.

Cardiff is lower in the league tables (actually I think it's the lowest :s ), and has a lower student satisfaction, but it does dissection (not sure whether dissection is a better learning tool that prosection, but apparently Cardiff has some of the best anatomy teaching in the UK) and the accommodation is much cheaper (some £3000 roughly for a bedroom with an en suite compared to Birmingham where its about £5000).

Any advice would be INCREDIBLY HELPFUL

ReputationRep:
    when did your Cardiff offer come through??

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like you have considered both universities evenly, but if you wrote down all the positives and negatives and look at them it may help to give you an idea.

Perhaps you could try to research job opportunities each univeristy offers after your degree - If Cardiff has less people in ajob a year after their degree, would you want to go there?

http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/home.html Is a good webiste for comparing univerisities, with student reviews on them, it might help you to choose.

I wouldn't worry too much about the price of accommodation - you get the maintenance loan to cover that and the repayments are supposed to be small.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeremybag)
    when did your Cardiff offer come through??
    Late Feb, quite early because I had an interview in like December.

(Original post by Smalley)
    It sounds like you have considered both universities evenly, but if you wrote down all the positives and negatives and look at them it may help to give you an idea.

Perhaps you could try to research job opportunities each univeristy offers after your degree - If Cardiff has less people in ajob a year after their degree, would you want to go there?

http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/home.html Is a good webiste for comparing univerisities, with student reviews on them, it might help you to choose.

I wouldn't worry too much about the price of accommodation - you get the maintenance loan to cover that and the repayments are supposed to be small.
    Both Cardiff & Birmingham (and all other medical schools) have 99% or 100% of students gaining a job after they graduate, which makes it even harder to choose And I have written down a Pros and Cons list but I just can't decide aaaah. Thanks for the website though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iheartnerds)
    Late Feb, quite early because I had an interview in like December.

Both Cardiff & Birmingham (and all other medical schools) have 99% or 100% of students gaining a job after they graduate, which makes it even harder to choose And I have written down a Pros and Cons list but I just can't decide aaaah. Thanks for the website though
    Birmingham.

ReputationRep:
    birmingham my cousin goes there, he said his medical colleagues are rave

ReputationRep:
    These are both really good sites:

Birmingham

Cardiff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryan118244)

Birmingham

Cardiff
    Male:Female ratio at Birmingham

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gozatron)
    Birmingham.
    Well you're not biased

(Original post by killermonkey)
    birmingham my cousin goes there, he said his medical colleagues are rave
    'Rave' meaning?

(Original post by ryan118244)

Birmingham

Cardiff
    THANK YOU! Those websites were really useful, think I'm close to making my mind up now

ReputationRep:
    Well you're not biased

'Rave' meaning?

THANK YOU! Those websites were really useful, think I'm close to making my mind up now
    So whats the verdict?

ReputationRep:
    Well you're not biased

'Rave' meaning?

That's alright

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gozatron)
    So whats the verdict?
    I think I'm being pulled towards Cardiff more!

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham beacuse its awesome!!

ReputationRep:
    Cardiff! I'm replying to your PM as we speak

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 2, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.