Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Anti-Street Harassment UK- a new feminist group. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by canimakeit)
    Really? the threat of assault and fear should to be proportionate? you do know that statistically a male is 3x more likely to be attacked than a woman right?

Not to mention you equated rude comments/ grouping with anal rape.

yeah......BY ANOTHER MALE

:facepalm2:

And i equated the threat of bigger persons (small male, big male/small female, big male/ small male, big female) attacking a less capable person
    So you wouldnt mind being groped by old men every other day because you know.....its not exactly bumsex?!

Nobody male or female has the right to sexually harass or infringe upon another person's right to live undefiled. Anti social behaviour is an offence and rightly so!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lechaton-x)
    I don't care if I'm in my Superdry trackies or a going-out dress, I just roll my eyes and get on with life. Acting all butthurt and creating retarded womens' groups like this just gets us taken less seriously.
    It's not about hurt feelings though, is it - something ****ed that woman off and she identified it as being wrong and is doing something about it. That's inspirational. My point is, you shouldn't have to learn to deal with it whether by rolling your eyes or (my personal fave) an equally rude retort, it shouldn't happen full stop. Just imagine if we had a culture of doing this to another social group, black people or whomever, it wouldn't be accepted or dismissed ("black people should just roll their eyes and get on with life") so why is this when it's happening to women?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magsam)
    Looking?: Fine.

Continuous staring, shouting, touching?: Not Acceptable.

Come on guys, this isn't rocket science. Just human decency.
    If it was a guy you liked the look of would it still be unacceptable?

Anyway they can look all they want it's actual interaction that isn't right like shouting or touching.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    lolwut

Your post makes me uncomfortable. THEREFORE IT IS UNACCEPTABLE. Whether you think your post is completely reasonable is irrelevant.

Or not.
    If my post made the majority of TSRians uncomfortable, then it would be unacceptable.

ReputationRep:
    The example they give in the article is assault, not harrassment, surely? They're trying to exaggerate what happened, then say the lesser offence of harrassment is the same by playing with your emotional reaction. Not good journalism, even though the matter is an imprtant one. I don't know about other parts of the UK, but going around London you get shouted at whatever your sex (not every day, but often enough to notice). There is no way that people are going to condemn shouting in public at another because it is so common, and you don't know if your harrassers will turn violent. To let people walk the streets in peace is a good aim, but nobody can do anything about it, unless you are always in earshot/line of sight of a cop.

The people who harrass you in the street are idiots, and are in the minority. Saying that you have to teach all men to respect women won't do the trick - it'll annoy the majority of men who are decent, and encourage the idiots.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blu tack)
    If my post made the majority of TSRians uncomfortable, then it would be unacceptable.
    But each "shout" or whatever is only directed at an individual woman, not "the majority of females in society".

(I'm pretty much arguing for the sake of it. You should probably just ignore this post lol)

ReputationRep:
    In before http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPlBqiVrTx8 .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insoms)
    I'm not defending groping. But remarks?? Women have all the power in forming relationships, if a man is unattractive, he will be incredibly lonely. So these men get desperate. Then women dressing provocatively is like dangling meat infront of a hungry bears face, then getting suprised when it tries to take it.
    So you're basically saying it's okay to verbally harass someone if you're lonely?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Judging by your thread on enforcing a 50% women quota in parliament I personally find your opinions on anything utterly worthless.
    Because I am a woman, right?

ReputationRep:
    Become a feminist, thats the quickest way to stop men taking notice of you, but then again most feminists are fugly
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by HarmanFan)
    Because I am a woman, right?

I could't care less if you were a women a man or a pink and yellow mushroom.

You're still a dolt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hardballer)
    Become a feminist, thats the quickest way to stop men taking notice of you, but then again most feminists are fugly
    Do you believe men and women deserve equal rights?

Oh ****, you're a feminist, better get the paper bag out.

ReputationRep:
    I wish I could get harassed by chicks in the street.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ulo)
    It's not about hurt feelings though, is it - something ****ed that woman off and she identified it as being wrong and is doing something about it. That's inspirational. My point is, you shouldn't have to learn to deal with it whether by rolling your eyes or (my personal fave) an equally rude retort, it shouldn't happen full stop. Just imagine if we had a culture of doing this to another social group, black people or whomever, it wouldn't be accepted or dismissed ("black people should just roll their eyes and get on with life") so why is this when it's happening to women?
    I'm not saying it should happen, it's. Some people are just retarded enough to think that might just get them laid, there are always going to be mongs like this in society- and there is no point even gracing them with a reaction on this scale. There are always going to be these cretins around, and sadly we just have to learn to live with them. The men that do this are definitely in the minority- and this kind of reaction from the feminazis is going to alienate all men, even the good 'uns, who think they're going to get arrested for a cheeky glance at a girls cleavage...all you need to do is look at the male reactions on here towards this ridiculous campaign.

The best way to tackle these sort of thick people is to take things down to their level, and reply with a '**** off you stupid ****er'.

ReputationRep:
    MY MAIL ORDER BRIDE thread comes to mind. there'd be less horny men if it was followed through.

ReputationRep:
    Well the people who started "Anti Street Harassment" clearly aren't too bothered, since it's only for females to complain about males, not for males to complain about being shouted at by females.

ReputationRep:

Men and women have equal rights if anything women have more rights.

What your thinking of is equal opportunity and equal outcome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by canimakeit)
    Men and women have equal rights if anything women have more rights.

What your thinking of is equal opportunity and equal outcome.
    I'm on the boys side for this...but

:facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by My name is URL)
    So what? You can't justify this sort of behaviour on the basis of the individual's own failings. If a man is unattractive and can't form his own relationships, does that make it acceptable for him to rape as well? If you allow sexually aggressive remarks to be made to women, you accept her body is allowed to be perceived as a public property. If her body is a public property, then you can also defend rape on these terms.

You sound incredibly naive; women don't have all the power in forming relationships, and even if they did again why does this justify disgusting and lewd behaviour?
    Even if women don't dress provocatively, they are very much subject to abuse. From around the age of 12 wearing my school uniform (!), walking home along a busy road I often got beeped at, comments loudly shouted and once or twice offered lifts home! Why is it acceptable for a fully grown, supposedly civilised man to make a girl as young as 12 frightened, uneasy and genuinely upset walking down the street?

And likening a woman's body to a piece of meat? That's pretty objectifying. :rolleyes:
    but we are pieces of meat? aren't we all?

i appreciate your position, but i think most women like attention if done in the right way. same for men.

that being said, if it really is that much of a problem, i think a taser would do the trick and a gps alert system i.e a rape alarm with gps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lechaton-x)
    I'm on the boys side for this...but

:facepalm:
    What? I stand by what I said at least for the UK

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 3, 2011
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.