The Student Room Group

Anti-Street Harassment UK- a new feminist group.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Oh come on ffs. If you're gonna dress suggestively and not cover up with a long coat or something when in public, we're bound to whistle and shout 'alright sexy'... it's just how it works.

So these groups want women to have the paradoxical right to dress provocatively and not be seen and treated as such? Maketh no sense!

Original post by HarmanFan
Shouting suggestive remarks at a woman in the street should be an arrestable offence (and prison should be an option for repeat offenders), and the woman should be able to sue for compensation. It's humiliating and objectifies women - unacceptable.

Tbh if it's the same man and she knows who he is, she probably can sue him or at least get an injunction to force him to stop (after which, if he keeps doing it, she can sue for money).
Original post by canimakeit
What? I stand by what I said at least for the UK

Feminism means that men and women have equal rights, not that women have more than men....

You shout 'nice tits' at women in the street, don't you? :^_^:
Reply 62
Original post by Jonty99
Well the people who started "Anti Street Harassment" clearly aren't too bothered, since it's only for females to complain about males, not for males to complain about being shouted at by females.

You also have the right to start your own group for males to complain about females, or for males to complain about males, or whatever you want if you so wish. Perhaps if you cared about it, you would have already made a group...
Original post by My name is URL
It's absolutely disgusting and sickens me how men still continually objectify women in this way.

Your mother is a woman, so is your sister and girlfriend. Would you like them to be treated this degrading way by men? Unwarranted harassment is completely unacceptable from anyone, regardless of gender but it's particularly a problem with males from lower socio-economic backgrounds. Women ought to be able to walk down the street without feeling intimidated or sexually threatened in 21st century Britain.

My Mum would love it.
Original post by lechaton-x
Feminism means that men and women have equal rights, not that women have more than men....

You shout 'nice tits' at women in the street, don't you? :^_^:

Firstly my comment was posted because women and men in the UK do have equal rights what feminists can complain about is the lack of equal opportunity or equal outcome.

Want to tell me what rights men have in this country women don't?

Also no I have never shouted to a woman nice tit's.....nice arse maybe. No in all honesty I have not cat called a woman never felt the need to.
Reply 65
Original post by rlw31
You also have the right to start your own group for males to complain about females

If only females would shout at me on the street lol... :sad:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by rlw31
You also have the right to start your own group for males to complain about females, or for males to complain about males, or whatever you want if you so wish. Perhaps if you cared about it, you would have already made a group...

My name is URL
x

Lol, I was responding to that person's post so my reply must be read in context (perhaps it was your post? I genuinely can't remember).

They were implying that these Feminists were concerned about males and females being equal. It seems obvious to me that these Feminists are only concerned with females, not with males.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 67
It's not sexist. No one's stopping men from creating their own Anti Street Harassment website to complain about street abuse from females.

However, the fact is it's such a negligible issue in reality most men wouldn't feel strongly enough about the issue to make it a worthwhile proactive campaign. Sadly the same cannot be said for women suffering from abuse for men.

Because men get on with their lives.

Men get just as much abuse in life if not more.

Men have to deal with people being physically violent towards them. Men usually aren't violent to women. I'm just as scared as you if a group of guys comes towards me when I'm alone, if not more because wheras you'll get "alright love want ma number wanna come for a ride you're fit" I'll get instead "What the **** you lookin at mate?" and a deliberate shove. Yes you have the worry of being raped but I substitute in the worry of physical violence. Even the thuggiest of chavs usually won't hit a girl unprovoked and his mates would hold him back if he did, hitting another man on the other hand they have no qualms about.

Also you act like men don't get this kind of things throughout their lives. I've seen so many guys mercilessly mocked by groups of girls through highschool, I've seen more guys mocked this way than those who are exempt. I wasn't immune, I used to have girls come up to me and try and embarrass me as much as possible while their friends all stood in a group giggling. Guys that were more unlucky than me in the genepool got it alot worse than me. At least wth girls on the street the comments are because they find you attractive and not because they find you unnattractive and/or fun to humiliate.

But did I go cry and make some groupa bout it? No I grew up and ignored them.
Reply 68
Sigh, some of the comments in this thread are pathetic and make me embarrassed to be a human being.

Heres the situation..

''One dark evening in south London, a group of men slow their car behind a young woman walking alone.

They call out to her, propositioning her to get into their vehicle.They call out to her, propositioning her to get into their vehicle.

She keeps walking, heart rate quickening, ignoring their lewd comments. The men continue to follow her and their words get more aggressive.

Just before she reaches the nearest underground station, she's had enough. She strikes the men's car and flees down the station steps.

In a rage, the men leap out of their car, chase her, grab her by the neck and pin her to the wall.

This was an experience that drove Vicky Simister to take action and found Anti-Street Harassment UK."

The fact they used 'South London' not Central or just London reinforces the idea of the cheeky cockney builder sorts shouting at some tasty crumpet walking past on their tea break so everyone against this implied situation can jump on this stupid women's bandwagon even though her experience was closer to rape rather than being admired by some uncivilized meatheads either on the pull or just trapped in a dull relationship with a women they hate. Women are ****ing women for ****s sake! I have never ever spoken about this with any of my female friends or even felt the need to bring it up because it is simply not an issue in the places where we go as lewd comments are unheard of in most places other than Oceania.

Either your being shouted at by meatheads in the street (which is easy to ignore unless you have issues), your forgetting basic rules to stay safe or wandering off when your out (your fault) or you are simply going to god awful nightclubs full of borderline rapists listening to rubbish music that glorifies everything you claim to be against.

This group just promotes the idea that people are allowed to protest seriously if they dont accept something rather than brushing it off and tolerating it like the rest of us, it is stupid **** and it is nothing other than a distraction.

Just want to add - If some feminista is going to talk about the objectification of women or some other pseudo western equality bull****, why dont you go and ask a women who has had her clitoris mutilated and/or cut off by her slavemaster husband what she thinks of your situation, maybe that will hit home how pathetic this is.
Reply 69
So what? You can't justify this sort of behaviour on the basis of the individual's own failings. If a man is unattractive and can't form his own relationships, does that make it acceptable for him to rape as well? If you allow sexually aggressive remarks to be made to women, you accept her body is allowed to be perceived as a public property. If her body is a public property, then you can also defend rape on these terms.

You sound incredibly naive; women don't have all the power in forming relationships, and even if they did again why does this justify disgusting and lewd behaviour?
Even if women don't dress provocatively, they are very much subject to abuse. From around the age of 12 wearing my school uniform (!), walking home along a busy road I often got beeped at, comments loudly shouted and once or twice offered lifts home! Why is it acceptable for a fully grown, supposedly civilised man to make a girl as young as 12 frightened, uneasy and genuinely upset walking down the street?

And likening a woman's body to a piece of meat? That's pretty objectifying. :rolleyes:

This, has happened to me soo many times. As though my school uniform isn't an indicator ... ergh
Reply 70
Original post by insoms

Men have to deal with people being physically violent towards them. Men usually aren't violent to women. I'm just as scared as you if a group of guys comes towards me when I'm alone, if not more because wheras you'll get "alright love want ma number wanna come for a ride you're fit" I'll get instead "What the **** you lookin at mate?" and a deliberate shove. Yes you have the worry of being raped but I substitute in the worry of physical violence. Even the thuggiest of chavs usually won't hit a girl unprovoked and his mates would hold him back if he did, hitting another man on the other hand they have no qualms about.

Also you act like men don't get this kind of things throughout their lives. I've seen so many guys mercilessly mocked by groups of girls through highschool, I've seen more guys mocked this way than those who are exempt. I wasn't immune, I used to have girls come up to me and try and embarrass me as much as possible while their friends all stood in a group giggling. Guys that were more unlucky than me in the genepool got it alot worse than me. At least wth girls on the street the comments are because they find you attractive and not because they find you unnattractive and/or fun to humiliate.

well said.

as if the group is going to get anywhere. unless the incident was eventful who is going to join the group? if it was serious enough to join the forum and share, they should prob be going to the police.
Reply 71
Original post by rlw31

If anything this proves that feminists aren't all about gender equality and generally don't give a **** about men, hence why they're happy to constantly demonise them.

What if the feminists alienate men far enough that they start making protest groups telling the feminists to **** off and stop demonising and alienating them? I'd join that group in a heartbeat.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 72
Original post by Archaos
If anything this proves that feminists aren't all about gender equality and generally don't give a **** about men, hence why they're happy to constantly demonise them.

What if the feminists alienate men far enough that they start making protest groups telling the feminists to **** off and stop demonising and alienating them? I'd join that group in a heartbeat.

If a doctor creates a group for sufferers of bowel cancer, does it mean that the doctor doesn't care about sufferers of, let's say throat cancer?

Just because they made a group for women doesn't mean that they don't care about men, or that they think it's okay for a man to be harassed. Perhaps it proves that in focussing on the views of some women they felt that they should make a support group for it.
Reply 73
It isn't a joke at all- this can actually make people really rather uncomfortable, and no-one should have this kind of behaviour excused by blaming the person it is being done to, no matter how they dress. I remember walking with my girlfriend and having this done to her, and it made me feel uncomfortable too.

Good on the people setting this up, I say.
Original post by HarmanFan
Shouting suggestive remarks at a woman in the street should be an arrestable offence (and prison should be an option for repeat offenders), and the woman should be able to sue for compensation. It's humiliating and objectifies women - unacceptable.

Remarks at women? I know we're talking a minority here, but I've been harassed by women in the street (for some reason wearing lycra whilst cycling seems to make me a magnet for this) and one one occasion, sexually assaulted by a rather drunk middle-aged woman as I walked past.
Reply 75
Original post by rlw31
If a doctor creates a group for sufferers of bowel cancer, does it mean that the doctor doesn't care about sufferers of, let's say throat cancer?

Just because they made a group for women doesn't mean that they don't care about men, or that they think it's okay for a man to be harassed. Perhaps it proves that in focussing on the views of some women they felt that they should make a support group for it.

I really don't think you can compare this to a doctor caring for sufferers of bowel cancer. Doctors still exist to cure throat cancer, neither types of doctors are in conflict with each other and there is no dispute of 'rights' between victims of each disease.
Reply 76
Original post by insoms

I pretty much agree with you in the sense of equality and the fact that girls should respect men, men should respect girls etc. but I don't think you can judge anyone for starting a group about it. People are constantly striving to just make life better for each other; there are anti-violence groups for incidences like what you're talking about, so now there's a group for people who feel belittled and embarrassed by men who feel the need to shout after a girl.
Original post by insoms
I'm not defending groping. But remarks?? Women have all the power in forming relationships, if a man is unattractive, he will be incredibly lonely. So these men get desperate. Then women dressing provocatively is like dangling meat infront of a hungry bears face, then getting suprised when it tries to take it.

two words: rape culture.
and guess what? you're buying into it.

Original post by Aj12
Judging by your thread on enforcing a 50% women quota in parliament I personally find your opinions on anything utterly worthless.

how does one opinion someone holds to be utterly worthless? i am neither defending nor agreeing with the quota, but honestly, that type of intolerance is dangerous.

Original post by Ventura7
I dont understand all this feminism thing nowadays, Women get away with sexism on TV way too much and no one says anything, something is said on sky about women and 1 person is sacked and another resigns.

now i was watching a programme and a women TV chef remarked "even a man could do this", i thought to myself if jamie oliver said that he would not get work for years and would be pretty much dropped form channel 4, why do women get away with it, Feminists preach no sexism but are sexist themselves towards men, conflicting views?

it works the same are reverse-racism. it's more socially acceptable for a minority to say something racist than a majority (which tends to be white). i'm not saying it's rampant or anything like that, but it defo is more acceptable.

My name is URL

asdfasdfasdf

i agree with a lot of you have to say expect for one thing: socio-economic class has anything to do with the level of sexual harassment. where did you get this idea from? i was under the impression that socio-economic class has nothing to do with it.
Original post by insoms

O.o you perplex me, and not in a good way. "men usually aren't violent to woman"?! oh, dear boy, you have a lot to learn about the world.
In my opinion, groping and harassment are bad, and women shouldn't have to feel threatened walking down the street.

But consider this for a moment, it may not be the act of groping which women dislike, could it possibly be the person doing the groping?

Nobody wants to be harassed by this guy

Spoiler

But if it was a good looking guy, would you feel the same

Spoiler

You get the idea. Attractive vs unattractive. Now I'm not saying this justifies those mens behaviour, what I am suggesting that perhaps it isn't the act itself which women dislike, rather, the person who is calling to them.

Thoughts?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending