Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So sorry if I sound a bit silly...

I'm in year 13, and I really need to get one, not just for the money, but to actually get experience, and to have something to do every day...
    BUT I can only get it after my A levels are done.

When should I apply/start looking for jobs, seeing as I will only be available after the 24th of June... When applying is it ok to state that I'll be able to work only after this date?

Also, what if I want to go on holiday for a few days/a week in the summer, will I still be able to do this, even though i've only just been employed?

It would be great if anyone knew/had advice! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    What type of job do you want?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lazy smurf)
    What type of job do you want?
    I'm really not fussed about it, I know that's quite vague, but basically, retail/restaurants/hotels/cafes/call centres/banks/list goes on..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supernova92)
    I'm really not fussed about it, I know that's quite vague, but basically, retail/restaurants/hotels/cafes/call centres/banks/list goes on..
    OK.

If you're available end of June I suggest for those types of jobs you start applying in early May.

With regard to the holiday, its up to you if you mention it, and up to the company weather or not it actually has any impact on if you get the job or not (even though by law it shouldn't!)

Remember to tailor your CV/Application slightly toward the company, so don't say you've got a good smile for a call centre, but do for a cafe, that sort of thing.

ReputationRep:
    Usually those sort of jobs (that you mentioned) come up quickly and start quickly, so you wouldn't need to be applying now for jobs in June. For example, I completed an online questionnaire for a job in a resturant chain and then was asked for interview a few days later, and asked to start the week after that. I'd just keep a look out and if you see anything you really want to go for then just make sure you say about when you can start, but chances are most part-time type jobs would want someone ASAP.
    And about the holiday thing, yes as long as you declare it when you take the job it wont be an issue (or shouldn't be anyway!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lazy smurf)
    OK.

If you're available end of June I suggest for those types of jobs you start applying in early May.

With regard to the holiday, its up to you if you mention it, and up to the company weather or not it actually has any impact on if you get the job or not (even though by law it shouldn't!)

Remember to tailor your CV/Application slightly toward the company, so don't say you've got a good smile for a call centre, but do for a cafe, that sort of thing.
    Thanks for the advice!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LavenderBlueSky88)
    Usually those sort of jobs (that you mentioned) come up quickly and start quickly, so you wouldn't need to be applying now for jobs in June. For example, I completed an online questionnaire for a job in a resturant chain and then was asked for interview a few days later, and asked to start the week after that. I'd just keep a look out and if you see anything you really want to go for then just make sure you say about when you can start, but chances are most part-time type jobs would want someone ASAP.
    And about the holiday thing, yes as long as you declare it when you take the job it wont be an issue (or shouldn't be anyway!)
    So do you think May-time would be about right? DO you know roughly, how long before you have to delclare it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supernova92)
    So do you think May-time would be about right? DO you know roughly, how long before you have to delclare it?
    Yeah mid-late may would be fine well usually at your job interview they would say 'do you have any holidays booked in the next 6 months?' and you could mention it then. If you're not sure when it's going to be tell them you're not entirely sure of the dates and just let them know as soon as possible, some places are more relaxed about this sort of thing than others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LavenderBlueSky88)
    Yeah mid-late may would be fine well usually at your job interview they would say 'do you have any holidays booked in the next 6 months?' and you could mention it then. If you're not sure when it's going to be tell them you're not entirely sure of the dates and just let them know as soon as possible, some places are more relaxed about this sort of thing than others.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.