Turn on thread page Beta

Why do we like spicy foods? watch

• View Poll Results: How hot do you like it?
    Tear-inducing burn
    11.76%
    Raises a sweat
    19.12%
    Slightly painful
    13.24%
    Tingle on the tongue
    29.41%
    Just warm
    10.29%
    I don't like spicy food!
    16.18%

ReputationRep:
    A combination of watching Man Vs Food and revising some stuff on somatosensation and pain made me wonder: why on earth do we choose to eat things that are so spicy, they're painful?!

Capsaicin activates painful heat receptors. It actually makes your body think you're being burnt.

Is it a social thing? Are we masochistic? One thought I had was that pain induces endorphin release, which will make you feel happy...

The opposite is with something like wasabi or horseradish - isothiocyanates in those active painful cold receptors.

We actually eat stuff that causes us pain, out of choice. Why?

ReputationRep:
    I cant eat spicy food thatttttt much and too spicy makes my nose start runnin and mouth burrrrrrrrrrn but when u eat like a bit of spice n then go back to without spice it tastes really plain and then i guess people who eat really spicy food just build up so kind of tolerance to it, like i know some people who can raw eat chillies and not even flinch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CKin2U)
    I cant eat spicy food thatttttt much and too spicy makes my nose starts runnin and mouth burrrrrrrrrrn but when u eat like a bit of spice n then go back to without spice it tastes really plain and then i guess people who eat really spicy food just build up so kind of tolerance to it, like i know some people who can raw eat chillies and not even flinch
    yeah. It's not that bad. It's just you build up an immunity to it, I guess. And it really spices up a meal :P. Keeps you from being chili. And eating chilis makes you seem hot.

_Kar.

PS: Sorry for puns, literally couldn't resist.

ReputationRep:
    There seems to be a strong link to pain and pleasure. Similar pathways, similar parts of the brain handling them, possibly there can be a confusion between the two making the pain from spicy foods so pleasurable.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a bit of a wimp on how hot I can actually take it and sometimes I'll put a bit too much spice in a dish, I'll feel the pain, but I'll always go back for another bite..and then gradually it lessens. So, I'll add that little bit more spice the next time, to go through that pain process again. It's weird, there's something addictive about it. And I also find when eating spicy foods I feel more satisfied afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    i cant even eat it

you know its peak times for you when you choose 'lemon and herb' in nandos :nopity:

ReputationRep:
    Eating spicy food releases endorphines which make you feel awesome, so it's no surprise I love 'em! Nothing like a good nose-runner curry/chilli!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flowermaster91)
    i cant even eat it

you know its peak times for you when you choose 'lemon and herb' in nandos :nopity:
    Awwww I have the chicken as medium, but then have medium sauce and creamy salad dressing on the plate to adjust the spiciness to my liking

(Original post by TotoMimo)
    Eating spicy food releases endorphines which make you feel awesome, so it's no surprise I love 'em! Nothing like a good nose-runner curry/chilli!
    That's my theory...even if something is painfully spicy, you'll come back and try it or make it again, it's like an addiction!

ReputationRep:
    i cant even eat it

Get mango and lime, same heat level but so much nicer!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoapyDish)
    Awwww I have the chicken as medium, but then have medium sauce and creamy salad dressing on the plate to adjust the spiciness to my liking

That's my theory...even if something is painfully spicy, you'll come back and try it or make it again, it's like an addiction!
    i know ...omg I have the medium sauce too on the chips :coma: it tastes so good, I need to buy some from Tescos :ninja:

(Original post by jimcatinnes)
    Get mango and lime, same heat level but so much nicer!!
    Hmm i will try that next time :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    i know ...omg I have the medium sauce too on the chips :coma: it tastes so good, I need to buy some from Tescos :ninja:
    OOOORRRRRRR, accidentally drop a bottle from the restaurant into your bag?

I joke of course.

:ninja:

ReputationRep:
    OOOORRRRRRR, accidentally drop a bottle from the restaurant into your bag?

I joke of course.

:ninja:
    I'm liking the sound of this, I mean its not like nandos have secruity guards :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    i cant even eat it

Pahahaa I can handle spice to an extent, but, I used to choose Plain chicken in Nandos - it actually does taste good, but now I get Hot chicken and peri peri chips and everyone looks at me as if I'm crazy. I just preferred Plain chicken.. I'm not going to lie though.. Nandos extra hot is a bit too much!!

The only meal that makes my nose runny and my mouth hot is a Chicken Madras.. Tastes good but it's SPICY!! I want to try a Vindaloo though... Lol

OP, I think I chose tingle on the tounge.. I think that's just about right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperStarr1)
    Pahahaa I can handle spice to an extent, but, I used to choose Plain chicken in Nandos - it actually does taste good, but now I get Hot chicken and peri peri chips and everyone looks at me as if I'm crazy. I just preferred Plain chicken.. I'm not going to lie though.. Nandos extra hot is a bit too much!!

The only meal that makes my nose runny and my mouth hot is a Chicken Madras.. Tastes good but it's SPICY!! I want to try a Vindaloo though... Lol

OP, I think I chose tingle on the tounge.. I think that's just about right.
    I get the same in Nandos. Great! Vindaloo's horrible, though- it's just the normal curry with extra chilli added. Completely overpowering.

ReputationRep:
    I eat horseradish by the spoonful. I can't get enough of it. I dip everything in it. I don't mind hot-spicy stuff but give me brilliant, blinding horseradish any day!!!!!!!

I actually can't eat the opposite - coconut curry, korma, tikka masala, anything too mild/creamy to me is just sickening and disgusting. My absolute favourite foods are the spiciest varieties, I have a pretty high tolerance level.

I don't know why really, I just get a kick out of it, and they have so much flavour. They can also be really healthy if you make them a certain way and not put loads of cream/milk in them like nasty creamy curries. :puke:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
    I actually can't eat the opposite - coconut curry, korma, tikka masala, anything too mild/creamy to me is just sickening and disgusting. My absolute favourite foods are the spiciest varieties, I have a pretty high tolerance level.

I don't know why really, I just get a kick out of it, and they have so much flavour. They can also be really healthy if you make them a certain way and not put loads of cream/milk in them like nasty creamy curries. :puke:
    I agree completely! Can't stand stuff like korma (at least the way they serve it in restaurants and takeaways I've been to), I'd much rather something like a rogan josh. We're having korma for dinner tonight

I agree completely! Can't stand stuff like korma (at least the way they serve it in restaurants and takeaways I've been to), I'd much rather something like a rogan josh. We're having korma for dinner tonight
    You have my sympathy.

ReputationRep:
    cos some of us actually like the taste of spicy food and don't think its "hot". you guys are proper wimps/pussies.

ReputationRep:
    I don't :no:

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.