Turn on thread page Beta

Why do we like spicy foods? watch

• View Poll Results: How hot do you like it?
    Tear-inducing burn
    11.76%
    Raises a sweat
    19.12%
    Slightly painful
    13.24%
    Tingle on the tongue
    29.41%
    Just warm
    10.29%
    I don't like spicy food!
    16.18%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prospectivEEconomist)
    cos some of us actually like the taste of spicy food and don't think its "hot". you guys are proper wimps/pussies.
    It's biology that makes it hot, the capsaicin actually activates pain receptors. Whether or not you like it, you can't deny that it is painful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoapyDish)
    It's biology that makes it hot, the capsaicin actually activates pain receptors. Whether or not you like it, you can't deny that it is painful.
    it isn't painful lol. i've yet to eat a curry from a supermarket/balti house thats hot (never tried phaal though)

ReputationRep:
    Im part Indian so I love curry!

ReputationRep:
    i think you can get a special kind of high from eating spicy foods, as mentioned above, pain has been known to be linked to pleasure, and i believe if you get the right quantity of chilis in you, your body starts releasing endorphins which makes you feel high

ReputationRep:
    I like getting a sweat after eating spicy food.

I don't like it if it burns out my taste buds though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CKin2U)
    I cant eat spicy food thatttttt much and too spicy makes my nose start runnin and mouth burrrrrrrrrrn but when u eat like a bit of spice n then go back to without spice it tastes really plain and then i guess people who eat really spicy food just build up so kind of tolerance to it, like i know some people who can raw eat chillies and not even flinch
    lol. i eat the jalapeños in subway people look at me like I'm a nutter but i have had scotch before and i couldn't speak for two days

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prospectivEEconomist)
    it isn't painful lol. i've yet to eat a curry from a supermarket/balti house thats hot (never tried phaal though)
    Im sorry but I dont think you'll every be able to actually find a curry in a supermarket (more specifically a british brand) that is hot/spicy.
    lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpunkyVanDros)
    lol. i eat the jalapeños in subway people look at me like I'm a nutter but i have had scotch before and i couldn't speak for two days
    Lol. I dont like those...and I have no idea what a scotch is lol

ReputationRep:
    My friends and I bit into a Bhut Jolokia simultaneously as a dare, and had to swallow the whole thing to win. I swear, my lips actually started bleeding. No joke.

I've also beaten "Curry Hell", one of the hottest recorded ph'all challenges in the world - in Newcastle!

ReputationRep:
    A combination of watching Man Vs Food and revising some stuff on somatosensation and pain made me wonder: why on earth do we choose to eat things that are so spicy, they're painful?!

Capsaicin activates painful heat receptors. It actually makes your body think you're being burnt.

Is it a social thing? Are we masochistic? One thought I had was that pain induces endorphin release, which will make you feel happy...

The opposite is with something like wasabi or horseradish - isothiocyanates in those active painful cold receptors.

We actually eat stuff that causes us pain, out of choice. Why?
    I've never understood why some people like spicy food either. I can't stand it. (I should qualify that statement by saying that I love a lot of spices and herbs, just not the the ones that cause heat on the tongue).

ReputationRep:
    Lol. I dont like those...and I have no idea what a scotch is lol
    http://www.fearthechilli.com/images/.../Antillais.jpg

this. it's painful

ReputationRep:
    yowzers. I would'nt even try that if i got paid too

ReputationRep:
    Im sorry but I dont think you'll every be able to actually find a curry in a supermarket (more specifically a british brand) that is hot/spicy.
    lol
    actually try tesco chicken vindaloo....thats quite dirty...it HAS to be tesco's though (sainsburys chicken vindaloo is sweet!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperStarr1)
    Pahahaa I can handle spice to an extent, but, I used to choose Plain chicken in Nandos - it actually does taste good, but now I get Hot chicken and peri peri chips and everyone looks at me as if I'm crazy. I just preferred Plain chicken.. I'm not going to lie though.. Nandos extra hot is a bit too much!!

The only meal that makes my nose runny and my mouth hot is a Chicken Madras.. Tastes good but it's SPICY!! I want to try a Vindaloo though... Lol

OP, I think I chose tingle on the tounge.. I think that's just about right.
    Ha!
    The first time I went to Nando's, I was like I can handle this-get me the peri peri chicken mild. The waiter was like, 'Are you sure?' Course, I was! Psh, posh!
    I found it way too spicy after a few bites, to top it off my drink was the spicy lemonade-EEK!
    Won't make the same mistake twice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpunkyVanDros)
    It's probably just me but the jalapenos at subway or most places taste tangy to me, hardly spicy. At first, I found them spicy like when I first tried them but then they started tasting more tangy/pickled. Do you experience the same?

ReputationRep:
    A combination of watching Man Vs Food and revising some stuff on somatosensation and pain made me wonder: why on earth do we choose to eat things that are so spicy, they're painful?!

Capsaicin activates painful heat receptors. It actually makes your body think you're being burnt.

Is it a social thing? Are we masochistic? One thought I had was that pain induces endorphin release, which will make you feel happy...

The opposite is with something like wasabi or horseradish - isothiocyanates in those active painful cold receptors.

We actually eat stuff that causes us pain, out of choice. Why?
    In my opinion the addition of spice to most foods give it that extra kick, even simple foods like fish and chips tastes amazing with a sprinkling of the hot stuff. Although, being an asian i've always eaten spicy foods and i can't imagine how bland some foods would get with no spice - also its a buzz! anyway, i notice you are studying pain and i was wondering if your undergrad or pre-grad and if can discuss a few things with you?

ReputationRep:
    I don't like them :/ but apparently it does release endorphins, meaning I should like them, just like I should like exercise because that does the same, but I don't :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unchartered)
    It's probably just me but the jalapenos at subway or most places taste tangy to me, hardly spicy. At first, I found them spicy like when I first tried them but then they started tasting more tangy/pickled. Do you experience the same?
    Ooh I know what you mean, they definitely taste more vinegary than spicy.

(Original post by Peace0fM1nd)
    anyway, i notice you are studying pain and i was wondering if your undergrad or pre-grad and if can discuss a few things with you?
    I'm an undergrad, it's only a tiny part of my course though, just a couple of lectures! I can try and discuss stuff with you but I'm no expert

ReputationRep:
    I'm an undergrad, it's only a tiny part of my course though, just a couple of lectures! I can try and discuss stuff with you but I'm no expert
    Oh great, in that case what are you studying. What do you know about nociception? :holmes: (i need to write roughly 1 page on inflamamtory pain, mechanisms etc in respect to arthritis).

EDIT: apologies for going off topic slighlty

ReputationRep:
    My friends all find me extra weird that when i go to nandos, i order extra hot the but ectra extra hot ontop. My mouth doesnt burn. I just dont find extra hot that nice! I like having my chinese takeaways VERY VERY spicy. I still dont really get hot from it! I just loveee spice and i love having my scotch bonnet raw and my chillies! I am dowm for any kind of chilly or hot spicy pepper!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.