Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do we like spicy foods? watch

• View Poll Results: How hot do you like it?
    Tear-inducing burn
    11.76%
    Raises a sweat
    19.12%
    Slightly painful
    13.24%
    Tingle on the tongue
    29.41%
    Just warm
    10.29%
    I don't like spicy food!
    16.18%

ReputationRep:
    Not everyone does like spicey foods ....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by We love gays :))
    Not everyone does like spicey foods ....
    How people cannot like spicy foods just puzzles me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Joker666 x)
    It's bait that your not
    sarcasm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoapyDish)
    A combination of watching Man Vs Food and revising some stuff on somatosensation and pain made me wonder: why on earth do we choose to eat things that are so spicy, they're painful?!

Capsaicin activates painful heat receptors. It actually makes your body think you're being burnt.

Is it a social thing? Are we masochistic? One thought I had was that pain induces endorphin release, which will make you feel happy...

The opposite is with something like wasabi or horseradish - isothiocyanates in those active painful cold receptors.

We actually eat stuff that causes us pain, out of choice. Why?

PM me. :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unchartered)
    It's probably just me but the jalapenos at subway or most places taste tangy to me, hardly spicy. At first, I found them spicy like when I first tried them but then they started tasting more tangy/pickled. Do you experience the same?
    I've always found them to just taste a bit like a pickle. But like I said, I've eaten Ghost Chilli raw before, and have a bottle of Blair's Jersey Death Hot Sauce in my cupboard which I put on everything.

That stuff is 1,100,000 scoville units; that's 750 times hotter than jalapeno!

ReputationRep:
    Ha!
    The first time I went to Nando's, I was like I can handle this-get me the peri peri chicken mild. The waiter was like, 'Are you sure?' Course, I was! Psh, posh!
    I found it way too spicy after a few bites, to top it off my drink was the spicy lemonade-EEK!
    Won't make the same mistake twice!
    Lol, that's the thing about Nandos - It's mostly fizzy drinks which are so bad if you are trying to get your mouth to cool down haha. I've been told, that if you eat something spicy, it's best to eat through the pain rather than drink, which increases your taste buds or something!

I may try Extra Hot chicken from there again one day soon lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperStarr1)
    Lol, that's the thing about Nandos - It's mostly fizzy drinks which are so bad if you are trying to get your mouth to cool down haha. I've been told, that if you eat something spicy, it's best to eat through the pain rather than drink, which increases your taste buds or something!

Milk is also a good thing to consume if you want the pain to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flowermaster91)
    i cant even eat it

you know its peak times for you when you choose 'lemon and herb' in nandos :nopity:
    I usually always go extra hot in Nandos but once I tried the lemon and herb and liked it.

I'd do it again :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    The way it makes your tongue tingle, the way your belly feels warm afterwards, the way it makes your mouth water.....:coma:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperStarr1)

Best things to drink are milk or alcohol. Why? Caspasin(sp), the active ingredient in chilli, is soluble in fat and alcohol but not water

ReputationRep:
    It's probably just me but the jalapenos at subway or most places taste tangy to me, hardly spicy. At first, I found them spicy like when I first tried them but then they started tasting more tangy/pickled. Do you experience the same?
    yeah they do taste tangy. but that might also be due to the fact that my taste buds are fecked due to having too much spicy stuff

ReputationRep:
    I love spicy food, its the whole challenge of eating it too, see if you can cope with it. However, its usually wise to keep the loo roll in the fridge following a curry session.

ReputationRep:
    I hate getting sweaty, runny nose, itchy, feeling hot, going red, burning pain etc.

ReputationRep:
    I do. Very much! Probably because the spice gives the taste a bit of a kick... maybe .

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.