Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What do people think about this:

I have an A*AA offer from my first choice university
    I also have an AAA offer from my second choice,
    And I also have an AAB offer from my last choice.

I got 100 ums marks in my two January exams, so in June I'd have to get a B to lose my A* in those two subjects, and a D to lose my A in those subjects.
    So I have quite a bit of leeway in regards to screwing up my June exams.
    The only risk is my third A-level subject, in that I don't have the same security from having done one of the exams already.

Should I pick the AAB offer as my 'insurance' on UCAS, as there is a greater risk of me getting a A*AB than there is me getting AAA?
    Or should I pick the AAA offer because if I did for whatever reason get AAA I'd be kicking myself if I ended up with my last choice of the five rather than my second choice?

ReputationRep:
    TBH I think AAA is a bad insurance choice for anyone considering your insurance is incase things go wrong and you get a grade or two lower on most/ all your subjects, but it depends how much you like the place offering AAB, there's no point ending up there and hating if it you jsut missed out on A*AA and got AAA, so it's up to you.

ReputationRep:
    Ask yourself: Just how likely are you to not be able to get an A in each subject?

If there's a >20% chance that you might not make it, put down the AAB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethin.g)
    What do people think about this:

I have an A*AA offer from my first choice university
    I also have an AAA offer from my second choice,
    And I also have an AAB offer from my last choice.

I got 100 ums marks in my two January exams, so in June I'd have to get a B to lose my A* in those two subjects, and a D to lose my A in those subjects.
    So I have quite a bit of leeway in regards to screwing up my June exams.
    The only risk is my third A-level subject, in that I don't have the same security from having done one of the exams already.

Should I pick the AAB offer as my 'insurance' on UCAS, as there is a greater risk of me getting a A*AB than there is me getting AAA?
    Or should I pick the AAA offer because if I did for whatever reason get AAA I'd be kicking myself if I ended up with my last choice of the five rather than my second choice?
    Would you be happy to go to your AAB choice? If not then do not put it down.

ReputationRep:
    I am evidently a silly billy...

But no OP, if you have no intention of studying at your fifth choice institution, then what's the point in putting it as your insurance?

ReputationRep:
    If you have a very good chance of getting A*A* (which it sounds like you do given that you have 100% in each from January) I would put AAA down as your insurance. It has to be somewhere you'd want to go. It'd be worth contacting them to see if they would accept A*AB or A*A*B as equal to AAA though.

My insurance is A*AA; evidently I am very daft indeed :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    Hmmmmm.
    After reading this thread I am starting to regret not choosing an insurance choice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerily)
    If you have a very good chance of getting A*A* (which it sounds like you do given that you have 100% in each from January) I would put AAA down as your insurance. It has to be somewhere you'd want to go. It'd be worth contacting them to see if they would accept A*AB or A*A*B as equal to AAA though.

My insurance is A*AA; evidently I am very daft indeed :ahee:
    Not that daft considering your sig says you already have an A*! By the way, your insurance is the course I am doing!

OP I went to my firm (UCL) but didn't actually make my insurance's grades (Warwick) - they wanted AABB and a 2 in STEP and I only got a 3. I really didn't want to go to the other 2 unis I had offers from, so if I had missed my grades for UCL then I would have just taken a gap year and reapplied. If you are not happy going to the AAB offer uni but would be willing to go to your AAA uni then put the AAA uni as insurance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolololol)
    Not that daft considering your sig says you already have an A*! By the way, your insurance is the course I am doing!
    Exactly why I think it's a worthwhile choice for me :yes: But most people think it's pretty daft until I explain.

How are you finding the course? There's a decent chance that I'll end up there, y'see.

ReputationRep:
    It all depends on how much faith you have in yourself tbh.

Last year I had AAAB as my firm and AAA as my insurance. Even though I got AACC, at A/S and I thought I didn't really have a chance of acheiving a third A grade I nevertheless knew if I had put my intended insurance on UCAS and ended up with that choice I would have taken a gap year! it gave me the incentive to work harder.

On results day I ended up with AAAC and the firm choice wouldnt take me, so although it was a risk at the time I'm so glad I put an AAA uni down as my insurance, if I hadn't I'd be sitting here on a gap year!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 31, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.