Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it ever too late to learn the Cello? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've just turned 20 and am considering taking up the Cello whilst at Uni. I played the violin to grade 4 standard when I was little but can't really play any more.

My main concern isn't time, (as I don't mind overcompensating), I'm more wondering if starting this late will bring my max competence threshold down considerably. Without taking time into consideration could I theoretically become as a good a Cello player had I started at 10?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    You'll probably learn a bit slower, but I don't see why you couldn't get pretty (very) good. It's all about practising, your brain and fingers will get there in the end.

Also, good choice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeanofJelly)
    You'll probably learn a bit slower, but I don't see why you couldn't get pretty (very) good. It's all about practising, your brain and fingers will get there in the end.

Also, good choice
    Thanks. Yeah I don't mind spending more time doing it. I just wonder whether my possible best has been lessened.

ReputationRep:
    The fact that you already play a string instrument will help as the principles are the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foxfight04)
    Thanks. Yeah I don't mind spending more time doing it. I just wonder whether my possible best has been lessened.
    Not necessarily at all. In fact, you'll probably learn better as you're doing it voluntarily and will enjoy it rather than being forced into learning at age 8 and later resenting it.

ReputationRep:
    Never ever too late. The thing about stringed instruments is they require a little more time and patience than other instruments, (say piano or sax), with regards to intonation etc, but you must already know that with your Violin playing. All I can say is good luck, and good choice.

ReputationRep:
    Unless you have Parkinsons or Ataxia, it's never too late to learn an instrument - go get 'em!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foxfight04)
    I don't know if anyone could tell you the answer to that question for certain, sorry But you'd be better learning now than in 5 years time.

I can't see any obvious reason why theoretically your possible best couldn't be as good as a 10 year olds possible best.

Found this guy: cello man 43

ReputationRep:
    Has someone just seen this? :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlVbEclPj4c

:L

_Kar.

ReputationRep:
    I believe the younger you start...I'm not going to finish that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kareir)
    Has someone just seen this? :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlVbEclPj4c

:L

_Kar.
    It always makes me laugh when boys go OTT with the whole 'rock' vibe on the cello. The cello is badass enough as it is, isn't that right, Janos?

Anyway, OP, no, it is never too late to learn. Who can say how good you could have been, or could be? Just enjoy. I played the cello when I was younger but only got to grade 3 before I stopped [for personal reasons :eek:]. I hope to take it up again some time....mainly when I can afford to......

love the cello......:daydreaming:

ReputationRep:
    I hope not! I've just started playing violin, having played a little when I was 8 or so, and have to say that I'm really enjoying it, mainly because as an adult I have the willpower to make myself practise, which I hated when I was young. Don't give up!

ReputationRep:
    Why do people constantly ask 'is it too late for me to learn x'.

Providing you're not ****ing senile or brain damaged, and there is no physical condition standing in your way, you could be 90 and not yet too old.

Jesus ****ing Christ. Why are so many of you darlings so ****ing dim?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)
    Why do people constantly ask 'is it too late for me to learn x'.

Providing you're not ****ing senile or brain damaged, and there is no physical condition standing in your way, you could be 90 and not yet too old.

Jesus ****ing Christ. Why are so many of you darlings so ****ing dim?
    :lol:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.