Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who here got an a* in their gcse english literature/language??? Tips/advice?????!!!! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saaail)
    This! Going over notes may work for some people, but I've never had the capacity to memorise text books.. I think what helped me get an A* in my Lit exam was originality, or perhaps that's better phrased as passion. It could be the most dusty, boring text in the world, but if you find something to personally identify with it will help you endlessly! I hated my English Lit classes during GCSE, they were so formulaic - and though it is important to make sure you understand the assessment criteria, understanding the text (not just memorising certain points) is really key. Be original, and be confident in your ability. It's about your response, not the one your teacher has drip fed to your entire class!
    I concur with the above; anything you're told in regards to "point, quote...", essentially, generic bullsh*t, is going to limit your grade. You need to exceed the boundaries, form your own unique essay style, form your own interpretations with strong evidence and analytical basis, and not be scared to strip language of context and delve into the seemingly ominous waters of metaphors, implications, connotations and everything else that puts you that one step ahead of someone who's merely memorised a textbook - quite obviously, said candidate would be painfully lacking in the skills and originality department. I was personally advised to "make your paper stand out one-in-one-thousand" by an examiner; these people mark hundreds - possibly thousands - of these papers on end, so you really need to make sure you're not afraid to go all out.

ReputationRep:
    For poetry question use the structure:

I -Introduction
    S -Structure
    L - Language
    A - Attitudes of poets
    C- Conclusion.

Sorted.

ReputationRep:
    Got an A* in English Language by doing so many practice papers, and I also had the advantage that I was only doing 3 exams that season (I did it in Yr 10).

For my A* in English Lit I read my book 3 times, and made massive lists of notes and quotes on each character that I typed up into a little booklet thing. And for the poetry I became very interested in the poets and what they were saying, and having an ethusiasm for that helped me write a more fluent essay.

Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BTNH)
    Know tons and tons of quotes and you will be fine. That was key to getting an A*
    This. Got an A* in Lit and A in Lang. Just know your texts really well. Maybe write out detailed profiles of your characters and memorise a few quotes.

For Lang., or more specifically the media bit of your paper- ALWAYS CHECK IF THERE ARE MORE PAGES, EVEN IF IT DOESN'T SAY TURN OVER! this is a mistake i did and only realised there was a whole 2 page article at the end of the paper and had to add in a few sentences in the last 3 minutes of my exam (that could have been the difference between an A and an A*).

Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    Got A* in both, basically I found the exam to be something of a 'ticking box' exercise. For example the describe/persuade bit just think 'thats one persuasive technique' etc and just ram as many in as possible.
    The poetry just make sure its clear and writing a lot about one quote is better than lots about a lot of quotes. So pick a quote and just tick of mentally the things you can say about it, metaphors etc. You get marks for things like 'metaphor','smile' etc.
    I did 'Of Mice And Men' and in the exam only used the first few pages/back pages because I knew that it was key to my question so just know what parts of the book have certain themes ie - front/back has a lot of animal imagery !!.Thats easier than going through the book with a tooth pick...
    And the media section just be concise and give the examiner what they want. I think the key with english gcse is giving the examiner what they want, treat it as filling criteria (right amount of analysis, contextual knowledge etc). I also dont believe gcse english requires any level of creativity and the 'point quote comment' system works fine if your not an idiot. Finally, you really cannot prepare that much for it and don't think you have to be amazing at English, heck I cant even spell...

ReputationRep:
    I literally just learnt quotes and wrote practice essays, theres not much else I can advise really :/

Oh and I took some pro-plus before the english lit exam, my hand was flying! (But don't tell anyone I said that )

ReputationRep:
    It's piss easy, just write a load of crap.

ReputationRep:
    Got an A* in both (full marks in all the exams - no idea how that happened!).

In the literature exam, I had to write a 45 minute essay comparing two poems - literally wrote for 35 minutes on one by accident, looked up at the clock and freaked out that I hadn't started on poem#2, so I wrote about the shortest poem (cat and the sea - about 8 lines long) in the remaining 10 minutes.
    I don't recommend it, but I completely blagged my analysis of the second poem (we were told NOT to write about it because it made no sense) - so don't worry too much if anything like that happens; just go with it.

With regards to essay structure, I found PEELL good at GCSE - point, evidence, explanation, language and linking! Hope this helps somewhat.

ReputationRep:
    I got an A* in both =3 And well, for Lit, I just read the novel again and had done a lot of work on it and class, and for poetry, all I did was write notes on each poem and wrote how they could be compared with others. I did that for Language too, but I didn't do any past papers. I don't like them... I didn't finish my English Literature exam either. And I had the texts in front of me, which probably helped in terms of quotes, but I don't have that at AS so might have to study harder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cameronn)
    Got an A* in both (full marks in all the exams - no idea how that happened!).

In the literature exam, I had to write a 45 minute essay comparing two poems - literally wrote for 35 minutes on one by accident, looked up at the clock and freaked out that I hadn't started on poem#2, so I wrote about the shortest poem (cat and the sea - about 8 lines long) in the remaining 10 minutes.
    I don't recommend it, but I completely blagged my analysis of the second poem (we were told NOT to write about it because it made no sense) - so don't worry too much if anything like that happens; just go with it.

With regards to essay structure, I found PEELL good at GCSE - point, evidence, explanation, language and linking! Hope this helps somewhat.
    Can you describe the language and linking part?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.