Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerily)
    Maths, further maths and physics, because at the time I chose, I wanted to go into astrophysics, and I figured they'd be pretty essential. Then chemistry, because I thought it might be useful with physics (I ended up hating every second of it and dropping it the day after my AS exam), and German because it's such a lovely language and I wanted to look at years abroad or degrees with language components.

Ended up losing physics because I realised I was no good at it, and chemistry because I hated it with a passion. I'm left with my favourite subjects now.
    Wow, I was pretty similar! I really liked astrophysics so I took physics, chemistry, maths (because they were all pretty useful) and RS: philosophy & ethics (because I genuinely loved the subject). Ended up dropping physics (because I HATED it) and I've now applied for philosophy at university.

Still dislike chemistry, but meh.

ReputationRep:
    Biology. Because I hate myself.

ReputationRep:
    English Literature, Government & Politics, Mathematics, Economics and History. I originally was considering law, but have been swayed a lot more towards philosophy through the interesting links with literature/mathematics/history - and even the others.

and naturally, all of the subjects interest me a great deal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lily Academia)
    Aye, you should be ashamed. ASHAMED.

English Lit - it's lovely.
    Chemistry - it's also lovely. Especially Organic Chemistry .
    Biology - :heart: molecular biology. And anatomy.
    Physics - love it. And it has maths in it. You have to love maths.
    Maths - see above
    Fine Art - it's just an awful lot of painting. Excellent.
    French - lovely language. Though in May, come my oral exam, I feel I'll regret this...

@Shanti: I'll forgive you for your omission of Physics/Chem/Maths; you made up for it with the Eng Lit and History
    Well, SOME of us have schools which don't let us do a gazillion a levels

ReputationRep:
    English Lit and Lang because I love English, Sociology because I did well in the subject at GCSE, Media because it's fun and I don't care if people say it's a 'mickey mouse subject' and Psychology because I couldn't pick Philosophy and Ethics due to a timetable clash.

ReputationRep:
    Maths, Physics, Further Maths. I dunno. I didn't have any particular career in mind or much of a personality; I just did what sounded alright. A physics degree later and I still dunno where I'm going with myself...

ReputationRep:
    I chose English Literature, Law, Business Studies and Drama & Theatre Studies.

English Lit=Because I have a very strong passion for English.
    Law=I thought doing Law was interesting, and also, it was either going to be this or sociology, so I opted for Law - and do not regret it.
    Business Studies=Either business or economics, chose to do business instead because Economics was slightly, if not, more, harder. I don't regret it but I wish I had economics. Ah well..
    Drama=Because I enjoyed acting and performing.

Again, I would have liked to have been studying English Literature, Economics, History and Spanish, to be honest with you. I had a grade C in GCSE Spanish so that's the only reason why I didn't pick AS Spanish.

ReputationRep:
    History and Government Politics.

History because I've got a nack for it. :yep: (Turns out A2 History is ****... :dry: The CW aspect would've been good; a chance to write your own Coursework on anything within the past 100 years? But no, we chose Russia; which we did in Year 11. ).

And Government Politics because I really enjoy learning about Political Ideologies, debating them and slating those who support the BNP (four out of five of us, me being the non-BNP supporter, along with the teachers). :yep:

Gov Pol is really, really interesting, though. History is too, but just annoyingly hard and gets kind'a dull in regards to post-English Civil War.

ReputationRep:
    I took English literature, history, drama and sociology for AS, and dropped sociology for A2.

If I'm honest, I didn't really have a wide variety of choice when it came to choosing A-levels because I didn't do very well in my GCSE's and I've never got on with sciences, so I was bound to choose arty subjects. I've always loved English and history, but had never studied drama or sociology before so I was a bit wary and didn't know what to expect; I guess I chose them because I'd always secretly loved acting and sociology just seemed extremely interesting, which it was!

I dropped sociology because I had a rubbish teacher and even though I got a B in it, I wasn't sure if I could do as well the following year, so I continued with the subjects I'd done better in, enjoyed more and was taught by excellent teachers

ReputationRep:
    Maths, Further maths, Physics and Biology. Because I like maths and physics and biology is outright easy.

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry Physics and Maths (For A2) and Biology AS because I wanted to study chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    This year I took; Psychology, Drama and theatre studies, media and english lit and lang. I took these because I had no clue on what I wanted to do, now i've figured it out I'm going to a different college in september to restart my A levels.
    I'm taking; Psychology, Biology, Mathematics and Health and Social care.
    Clinical Psychology here I come.

ReputationRep:
    I took English Literature, History, Sociology and World Development;

Lit - because I used to be good at it and it used to be enjoyable (Note the tense)
    History - for the reasons stated above
    Sociology - it looked really interesting and its relates to literally everything!
    World Development - because I once wanted to work in the area of development, but thanks to my teacher I can't wait to leave it and never go back to it.

ReputationRep:
    most confusing time in 6th form
    sociology and health and social care. because i wanted to be a youth worker...
    then i had to take ict cos i wasnt allowed psycology.
    then they made me take 4 so i chose english literature (bearing in mind i hate reading) but as the teacher wouldnt listen to me, or my old deputy year head about me not being able to manage 4 AS levels.
    anyway about a week or 2 in, i dropped english, with the head teachers permission, as he was my teacher for it...

so i was left with sociology, health and social and ICT.

in year 13 i decided to drop ICT even though i did better than health and social, but i hated it slightly more...
    and took up world development AS

so i now have AS levels in ICT and World Development, and A levels in sociology and health and social. and nothing in literature [=

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry - Need from medicine
    Biology - I enjoy the subject
    Maths - It's my best subject
    English Lit - I like analysing things and didn't want just sciences
    Psychology - I was interested in the subject

ReputationRep:
    Late Modern History - because it is my favourite subject (I am a real history dork) and I want to do it at university.
    English Literature - I love to read and I really enjoy the analytical aspect, which goes well with History
    Fine Art - I love to paint, draw and I like art history as well. I find art gives you a break from other subjects.
    Geography - I originally picked French becaue I got an A* at GCSE and thought if I tried my hardest I could be a linguist... however, I was wrong! I just can't handle languages that well... so I picked Geography instead, as I'd enjoyed it at GCSE - I also sort of hate it now too. I sort of wish I had done Politics, but I know that Politics and Art are thought of as weaker subjects by some universities, and that it is better to do three academic subjects and art, so the Geography decision was a better one in the end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BookWormShanti)
    Well, SOME of us have schools which don't let us do a gazillion a levels
    AS-levels dear. Doing 7 A-levels would just be silly.

In other news, my epoxy resin has arrived! I can glaze my final piece! (I probably shouldn't be that excited by this )

ReputationRep:

In other news, my epoxy resin has arrived! I can glaze my final piece! (I probably shouldn't be that excited by this )
    Oh, I'm sorry... I'm very happy for you and your resin!
    Notice you are avoiding Hardy :lol:
    Anyway, we should stop the spam

ReputationRep:

Christy! How do you find the time to handle 7 ASs?

ReputationRep:
    Expecting a back lash here

Psychology - Liked the look of it. Seemed interesting
    English Language - Enjoyed it at GCSE
    Media Studies - Liked the sound of it
    Film Studies - Needed a 4th, the more academic subjects were all full. (Application made last minute)

What I wish I'd chosen, and would redo if I had the chance?
    - English lit/lang
    - Psychology
    - History
    - Sociology

Offered a place at uni though

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.