Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Economics- looked really interesting and loved it on the taster days

History- loved it at GCSE

Spanish- Loved it since starting in year 9, hoping to go on and do a spanish/ spanish with linguistics degree

General studies- compulsory

English language- starting next year, the linguistic elements really interest me and there is more freedom (also preferred for linguistics)

ReputationRep:
    French I thought a language would look good at A Level, and I did at one point have my heart set on going to a Scottish Uni and taking French modules alongside my History ones at uni...I also just think it's very useful to know another language, and I was good at French at GCSE so just devided to take it. Regretted it initially, but I'm actually enjoying A2 a lot. Except the impending speaking exam. Just over a month and I'm hideously unprepared.

History Always knew I wanted to do it at uni. Really interests me, the A Level course was so different to GCSE, and the independent investigation looked amazing. Although now I'm actually having to write it, it's not so great the teachers are lovely too.

English Literature Almost didn't take it after it was the only subject I didn't get an A* in at AS, but I just thought it would complement History well, and improve my essay writing and analysis skills. Glad I took it though, I got full UMS at AS, and we have a lovely lovely little class for it. The teachers are really nice too. It's complemented History really well as well, with the critical coursework and the ability to tailor the comparative coursework to whatever you want.

General Studies We had to do it to AS, and due to my lack of January exams I decided to do it to A2 actually pleased I did, as although none of the unis I applied to accepted it, whatever happens I will always have an A* at A Level

Maths to AS. I wanted to keep my options open ish, and felt bad for dropping all 3 sciences. It also provided a good break from essay writing/essay subject revision After AS year it got too full of graphs though, and I didn't want to risk it as I only JUST got an A as AS...

Hehe, yep, as you can see from this post, essays = :love:

ReputationRep:
    Economics, Maths, History ,English Literature and Greek because Im good at them and I like them.......umm thats it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OwainPJ)
    Biology - I'm diabetic and therefore interested in why I don't work properly.
    Hehe, me too! Although I didn't take biology. I don't think I'd have been able to stand people just assuming diabetes = a disease for old overweight people, which is what everyone just seemed to think when we did it at GCSE. That, and that it was somehow comparable to the other diseases we studied, which were things like Huntingtons

ReputationRep:
    I chose

Economics - necessary for real life

Maths - also necessary, or maybe, compulsory to know for life, even though I hate it like hell..

Geography - my fav! world around us

Law - also my fav!! the awesome moment when you feel like you bring justice back when arguing for a case in class

well, this combination is banging my head in choosing uni course next year...
    but still, social subjects rule!!

ReputationRep:
    Maths, Geography and Biology because they were my best subjects at GCSE and I enjoyed them. Psychology because i want to do psychology at university because I find it really interesting.

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry - explosions ~ooohh~
    Maths - Minimal writing involved
    Biology - Dissections ~ooohh~
    Psychology - A novelty, i thought it would be interesting. i was wrong. but im just doing it at A2 because its a **** easy subject {memorising studies FTW}

I like science and hate writing. so yeahh..

ReputationRep:
    Maths - Was easy at GCSE, have a natural flair for it and wanted to carry it onto A-level, plus some parts are quite interesting.

Further Maths - Fancied a challenge, goes into further depth than single Maths and as a result enjoyable.

Physics - Bit of a generalisation but Physics is basically applied Maths, therefore the best logical choice. Bit like Puberty, a mixture of highs and lows, however mostly lows.

Chemistry - Initially planned to do English Lit instead, but realised English Lit wouldn't be much use alongside hardcore sciences and I'm not too bad at it.

(The one that normally throws people back)
    Drama/Theatre Arts - Been interested in Theatre since childhood, don't know where I would be without it. Something I can truely have fun doing and get an A

Critical Thinking - Compulsory, did the whole AS in a term. Retaking the whole AS as a result!

EPQ - Semi compulsory, but it was either that or General Studies.

ReputationRep:
    Psychology, Law, Biology and Maths. Dropped Bio because the department is a joke and 70% got Us and something like 2 people got As at the end of the year, and dropped Maths because I hated it. Picked up history and love it - wish I did it from the beginning to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    English Language, Sociology and Psychology , wanted to study English at University got my place but then changed my mind ...

ReputationRep:
    Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Further Maths.

Started off with Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Philosophy and Ethics. Didn't do any lessons of P&E so I swapped to French. Dropped French. Dropped Biology. In February I took up Further Maths (my maths teacher is bloody brilliant, best teacher in the school), which I'm self teaching. Love it.

Want to be a maths teacher now, originally wanted to be a heart surgeon. Bit of a change gone on there.

ReputationRep:
    French and Spanish: I've always had a flair for languages and I loved them immensely at GCSE (despite having to do my whole Spanish GCSE from scratch in six months :rolleyes:). I love the AS courses because you not only go deeply into the language but also the culture too I just love languages

English Language: I knew I wanted to take some kind of English but didn't really like the look of literature as I prefer to read at my own pace Also, the course has turned out to be one of the most interesting courses by far! I love learning about how children learn language.

Modern History: I couldn't really NOT take history. It's just so interesting and in my opinion crucial for general knowledge and everyday debating.

I'm continuing all bar English... since I only want to take 3 to A2 to make sure I get the right grades... since I have my heart set on Oxford...

Oh, I also took Music Theory as an enrichment course for the sake of well-roundedness and all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loamthedemon)
    French, Spanish, Maths and History.

French and Spanish because I think languages are hugely beneficial, particularly if you want to study something like Law. Those two specificially because I enjoy them and find them the easiest out of the 4 languages I studied at GCSE (although I kind of regret not studying German, but 3 might have been a bit much!).

Maths because I was good at it at GCSE, enjoyed it and because I fancied studying a scientific subject.

And history because the A-level course appealed to me (mostly) and because an essay subject is always helpful.

ReputationRep:
    Economics - I thought it'd be interesting and also it's a traditional subject that's well regarded by unis.
    French - I was good at it at GCSE and I just love everything about the language, the culture etc and I love the course and my teacher, plus it's useful to have an A Level in a modern language.
    English - It's easy I don't have to put much effort into it, i find it boring though and I dislike my teacher.
    Photography - Wanted to do something different to my other subjects and thought it'd be an easy A for AS, but it takes alot of time and effort and I ended up getting a C :L oh well..

ReputationRep:
    Politics-needed a 4th subject. Turned out to be my favourite.
    History-interesting.
    German-needed something actually useful.
    English Lit (dropped after AS)-used to want to be a journalist. Hated English Lit.
    Reasons for picking all 4: hated maths and science with a passion. Refused to take any of them post-GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    Haven't started them yet, but I'm taking:

English Literature - I absolutely adore English, so would never have even considered not taking it. (I also need it to do English at university.)
    English Language - because the idea of having ten English lessons a week is absolutely amazing. Nah, I think it sounds really interesting and like I said, I adore English.
    History - it's interesting, I enjoy it, universities like essay subjects when you're applying for an English degree, and I'm reasonably good at it, I guess.
    Philosophy and Ethics - because I find it really interesting and enjoyable and am doing well at it at GCSE. (GCSE RE, I mean, which is the equivalent.)

ReputationRep:
    English Literature and Language - I have always loved English throughout school and picking it at A-Level was the natural thing to do. Sadly Edexcel have sapped all the enjoyment out of it and, particularly over A2, has become something of a chore. None the less, I still wouldn't swap it for any other subject.

Sociology - I was originally going to do Biology however I decided to go for Sociology instead. Seemed more relevant to my interests and gave me room for discussion and elaboration as opposed to Biology which is more linear. I enjoy parts of the course but overall, it tends to be a bit dull and dry.

History - I didn't do History at GCSE (not necessarily something I regret - the GCSE course was simply WWII which, though interesting, is overdone to death throughout schooling) so it was a bit of a risky move. I enjoyed reading various history books and articles so I decided to take the risk. It paid off and, were it not for Law, I'd probably choose to study it at University.

ReputationRep:
    Biology, Chemistry, Geography and Philosophy and Ethics at AS.

The Two Sciences because I did well in them at GCSE.
    Same for Geography and Philosophy and I enjoy them both. Chem is ok, but Biology interests me more (not the actual AS content, its just spitting out learned facts onto the exam paper).

Next year I'll probably drop Philosophy, even though I enjoy the subject. Partly as it has a load of essays but also I can't really see myself doing it at uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flywithemma)
    Hehe, me too! Although I didn't take biology. I don't think I'd have been able to stand people just assuming diabetes = a disease for old overweight people, which is what everyone just seemed to think when we did it at GCSE. That, and that it was somehow comparable to the other diseases we studied, which were things like Huntingtons
    I know the feeling all too well! So are you type 1? To be fair everyone at school has OK about it, they just wanted to know if I could still drink

ReputationRep:
    History - thought it was my best subject, like doing Henry VIII, but Jan exam a bit of a fail.

English Lit - thought i was good at it, but doing it at A Level has proved i have no natural talent.

Sociology - liked the sound of it - actually really enjoy it.

Psychology - i'll never know why i inflicted this subject on myself.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.