Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

PE is a subject for animals taught by animals watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Despite the title I am aware that biologically we are all animals.

PE, in normal school bullying is against the rules; in PE it's part of the curriculum. How many times did the bigger kid who would not be allowed to be violent towards you would tell you how he was "gonna take you out in rugby".

I remember how one of the sporty ones came into our changing rooms after rugby, his shirt covered in blood(Probably someone elses as well as his own) looking pleased with himself.

I actually got a detention for not completing cross country fast enough; speaking of which, remember how you used to have to run around a cold field in shorts, whilst the sports overseer(wearing a rather warm looking shellsuit) would command you to go faster. PE was terrifying, in the changing rooms people would show off their pubic hair or would "keg" a man as he bent down to put his socks on.

Discuss

(Original post by PendulumBoB)

PE, in normal school bullying is against the rules; in PE it's part of the curriculum. How many times did the bigger kid who would not be allowed to be violent towards you would tell you how he was "gonna take you out in rugby".

I remember how one of the sporty ones came into our changing rooms after rugby, his shirt covered in blood(Probably someone elses as well as his own) looking pleased with himself.

I actually got a detention for not completing cross country fast enough; speaking of which, remember how you used to have to run around a cold field in shorts, whilst the sports overseer(wearing a rather warm looking shellsuit) would command you to go faster. PE was terrifying, in the changing rooms people would show off their pubic hair or would "keg" a man as he bent down to put his socks on.

Discuss
    :rofl:

What kind of school do you go to? :lolwut:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Really? I thought it was just an excuse to have a game of footie for an hour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    :rofl:

What kind of school do you go to? :lolwut:
    One of those ghastly comprehensives.

ReputationRep:
    Man up

ReputationRep:
    Netball is catty.

ReputationRep:

Discuss
    no wonder this country is getting fatter and fatter everyday

ReputationRep:

Discuss

Your school is ****ed.
    If any P.E teacher told me I got a detention for not completing cross country fast enough I would tell him to do one. Don't accept that.

ReputationRep:
    PE was legendary. The best part was having mental teachers who thought they were Navy Seal Instructors shouting at the fat kids. The sheer brutality of cross-country and the pleasure of lapping someone was also immense.

I can see why this may not be a universally shared opinion.

A collection of nostalgic reflections on my head of PE by various people:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    mr 'shout in yer face till i pop a vein' when you're in yr 7-9

mr 'if you don't do pe at gcse / a-level i'm going to call you "boy" and forget you ever existed' in yr 10-12

mr 'you'll see me getting wasted down the pub' in yr 13

apparently he left because, and i quote one of the history teachers i forget the name of (very camp and knew way too much about everything), "he realised teaching wasn't for him..."

no ****

i heard that he quit after he made one of the school teams leave the pitch in a middle of a game after some questionable refereeing.

Freeman was horrendous, There were some dodgy teachers there over the years but he was the worst. He was just plain rude and had no time for you if werent any good.

he also had a moustache - a characteristic fault of any many that is asking children to get naked then get wet.

He was my form tutor at GCSE, and the worst thing was his completely unpredictable moodswings.

One day after having a laugh and joke with him, I asked what the A of AF stood for. I suggested Adolf. He shouted right in my face to stand outside. He then told me to come back at break. I did and was given a spiel about how his father and fathers father had fought in the wars to protect my freedom.

I have since decided that that answer he was looking for was 'No'.

i dunno guys... i had a lot of respect for the man, he knew (generally) what he was talking about and did things (generally) by the book...

i don't think it's until you leave school that you actually realise that people like freeman were only trying to mould you into someone that wouldn't get completely **** on when you get into the real world.

but yes... high blood pressure and temper tantrums aside, i thought he was a bit of a ledge.

He was nice if you were good at sport, and an absolute arse if you weren't! Lot of my mates liked him.

I hated him! Would happily take the mick out of me, but if I ever did it to him, he would shout at me!

But I eventually got my own back on him! After Id left school I went back and streaked for Sports Day, he then saw me afterwards, and said "Wood, here now" to which I replied no, he then said "Sunshine get here now" so I retorted with a rendition of 'You are my sunshine, my only sunshine', he wasn't best pleased and I think it was the only time that I saw him run, when he was chasing me. Good times!

ReputationRep:

Discuss
    I always loved it but I really felt for the overweight, nerdy kids who dreaded it and got plastered in rugby and football. The PE teachers used to take the piss out of the clever kids and made them feel small because they were projecting their own insecurities (of being stupid)

And that kid u described is me. I really regret tackling hard on kids who clearly didn't want to play

ReputationRep:
    I lol'd. 8/10

ReputationRep:

Discuss
    I hated PE but I've got dyspraxia and spent a lot of the time being laughed at and feeling stupid.. I was taken out of it at age fifteen I think - I used to feel physically ill when going.. In P6 I once spent the entire lesson sitting on the table in the corner, sobbing because I hated it that much haha!

ReputationRep:
    I actually agree. I'm autistic and dyspraxic, and have no depth perception so I see in 2D and have no idea how far away things are from me - as such, I am horrendous at physical co-ordination, can't catch a ball, don't understand team games and am understandably bad at PE. Did my PE teachers take all this into account and let me do something like jogging instead which would at least have let me keep fit? Did my PE teachers give me extra support so I could learn how to throw and catch? Did they ****. I was just left to the mercy of the other kids - who would complain massively about having me on their team (which I fully understand!) as I was so useless, which spilt over into bullying in real life. I tried telling the PE teachers that I wasn't just lazy or stupid, I actually had reasons for being horrendous at PE and would prefer to be allowed to do stuff on my own, but they just laughed at me I am so insanely glad that I don't have to do it any more - if you're good at it and popular I'm sure it's fun, but if you're not it's just legitimised bullying.

Not that everyone's experiences will have been like this, and not that I'm expecting sympathy, but yeah, PE in secondary schools definitely needs reforming, is my point

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daisydaffodil)
    I hated PE but I've got dyspraxia and spent a lot of the time being laughed at and feeling stupid.. I was taken out of it at age fifteen I think - I used to feel physically ill when going.. In P6 I once spent the entire lesson sitting on the table in the corner, sobbing because I hated it that much haha!
    This! I just spent all the time being laughed at and picked on because I was rubbish at it too And I used to feel ill when going - and also I have a hangup about exercising now (I do do it, but only in the middle of the night when no-one's around :cool:) because of how miserable PE used to make me.

I'm glad that they took you out of it though - and hopefully you don't have to do it any more, so it's all good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerily)
    I actually agree. I'm autistic and dyspraxic, and have no depth perception so I see in 2D and have no idea how far away things are from me - as such, I am horrendous at physical co-ordination, can't catch a ball, don't understand team games and am understandably bad at PE. Did my PE teachers take all this into account and let me do something like jogging instead which would at least have let me keep fit? Did my PE teachers give me extra support so I could learn how to throw and catch? Did they ****. I was just left to the mercy of the other kids - who would complain massively about having me on their team (which I fully understand!) as I was so useless, which spilt over into bullying in real life. I tried telling the PE teachers that I wasn't just lazy or stupid, I actually had reasons for being horrendous at PE and would prefer to be allowed to do stuff on my own, but they just laughed at me I am so insanely glad that I don't have to do it any more - if you're good at it and popular I'm sure it's fun, but if you're not it's just legitimised bullying.

Not that everyone's experiences will have been like this, and not that I'm expecting sympathy, but yeah, PE in secondary schools definitely needs reforming, is my point

This, exactly. My PE teachers were told too - one went out of her way to help, the others just ignored me altogether! I remember doing swimming lessons at 15 and being told you either sank or swam - everyone was put in the deep end and told to swim; irregardless of ability!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daisydaffodil)
    This, exactly. My PE teachers were told too - one went out of her way to help, the others just ignored me altogether! I remember doing swimming lessons at 15 and being told you either sank or swam - everyone was put in the deep end and told to swim; irregardless of ability!
    Mine just actively used to laugh at me - particularly when we played stuff like benchball and I had panic attacks because of the massive amount of people and noise in a small space Oh bad times! (Your school did swimming lessons when you were 15? That's quite late, I think - we were 7 when we learnt ) Did people not sort of... drown?

ReputationRep:
    It was tiger blood he was covered in.
    Drink some......................

ReputationRep:

I'm really sorry that's awful; the problem is how ignorant these lads who "teach" the subject are. These was this one guy who had an odour problem and the teacher actually joked that he was sitting over there as he smells, practically the whole class burst into uncontrollable laughter.

ReputationRep:
    This! I just spent all the time being laughed at and picked on because I was rubbish at it too And I used to feel ill when going - and also I have a hangup about exercising now (I do do it, but only in the middle of the night when no-one's around :cool:) because of how miserable PE used to make me.

I'm glad that they took you out of it though - and hopefully you don't have to do it any more, so it's all good

Yes it's had the same effect on me, I avoid things like going to the gym etc - I'll walk for exercise or swim sometimes but won't do anything else in front of people. Friends are trying to persuade me to join aerobics classes though, so we'll see.

Yeah - thankfully I'm now in 2nd year of Uni as well so don't have to do it huge relief! It definitely needs a massive reform!

ReputationRep:
    Agreed. PE teachers don't seem to want to help the kids who are genuinely worse at physical activites. If a Maths teacher screamed at a kid to do their work faster and made no effort to explain it they'd probably get fired, whereas PE teachers (who all seem to be fat and middle-aged anyway) get away with it.

And yes, I was the fat kid :emo:

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.