Turn on thread page Beta

PE is a subject for animals taught by animals watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daisydaffodil)
    Yes it's had the same effect on me, I avoid things like going to the gym etc - I'll walk for exercise or swim sometimes but won't do anything else in front of people. Friends are trying to persuade me to join aerobics classes though, so we'll see.
    I have been to the gym before - I don't mind doing stuff on my own (as the gym kind of is), I would just never, ever do anything in a team etc. It really puts people off PE, and it's a right shame - I do think we'd have less of an obesity problem if the education system didn't put some people off exercise.

(Original post by PendulumBoB)
    I'm really sorry that's awful; the problem is how ignorant these lads who "teach" the subject are. These was this one guy who had an odour problem and the teacher actually joked that he was sitting over there as he smells, practically the whole class burst into uncontrollable laughter.
    Oh god, how awful! But surely if you've just been exercising it's really easy to smell bad, even if you did have deoderant on and a clean PE kit - some people just sweat buckets anyway Bless him. The thing about PE is that it suddenly becomes acceptable for your whole class to laugh at you, and indeed the teacher is actually actively encouraging them to do so. I don't know how most PE teachers even managed to get employed tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerily)
    Mine just actively used to laugh at me - particularly when we played stuff like benchball and I had panic attacks because of the massive amount of people and noise in a small space Oh bad times! (Your school did swimming lessons when you were 15? That's quite late, I think - we were 7 when we learnt ) Did people not sort of... drown?
    Yeah, that was sort of the same with me, we did netball once and the teacher put me as goal attack - I was totally lost and just stood there - despite classmates shouting at me to do something! Got hell for the rest of the day as my team eventually lost, not good !

Yeah we went to a very rural primary so no chance to do swimming, I mean we did go as kids and had private lessons etc, but I never really learnt til age eleven on holiday - and we were never really taught in school until age 14/15 in secondary school. By that stage I was the only one who still struggled with it, so it wasn't too bad for everyone else - I just clung onto the side for a lot of the lessons!

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend is going to be a PE Teacher :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daisydaffodil)
    Yeah, that was sort of the same with me, we did netball once and the teacher put me as goal attack - I was totally lost and just stood there - despite classmates shouting at me to do something! Got hell for the rest of the day as my team eventually lost, not good !
    Same here! I'm so glad not to be the only one I never had any idea what to do in team games - I understood the theory in principle, but I could never make my body follow the instructions that I wanted it to. Not that people understood this. I used to try and pick the positions which would be easiest to 'hide' in, but if you're given goalkeeper or something and then you lose, everyone hates you

Yeah we went to a very rural primary so no chance to do swimming, I mean we did go as kids and had private lessons etc, but I never really learnt til age eleven on holiday - and we were never really taught in school until age 14/15 in secondary school. By that stage I was the only one who still struggled with it, so it wasn't too bad for everyone else - I just clung onto the side for a lot of the lessons!
    Ahh, that makes sense. I think I would have died of shame if I'd had to get into a swimming costume in front of the rest of my class when I was 14/15

ReputationRep:
    Some of the schools you guys attended sound horrifc. P.E at my school was pretty enjoyable Since your wondering it was South Holderness, on the outskirts of Hull

ReputationRep:
    I really enjoyed PE.

We just played football, rugby or did track sports for an hour or two, then when myself and my mates got home we'd go riding. Which we actually learnt more from, and took more enjoyment out of.

But still, PE was fun, I thought. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Meh, in one of our PE lessons we were made to pick up pieces of glass that had smashed on the tennis courts. This was one of the more enjoyable PE lessons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemical_bex)
    My boyfriend is going to be a PE Teacher :/
    Hopefully he will a nice guy who understands how people are good at different things as opposed to a crazed drill sergeant.

ReputationRep:
    What a pusio.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sucess)
    no wonder this country is getting fatter and fatter everyday
    This is so true. There is such a lazy attitude towards exercise. What I don't get is why some people who don't do any exercise need to eat so much. Its not like they're using up excessive amounts of energy and therefore working up an appetite.

And whoever said they got a detention for running too slowly obviously didn't try enough. This is the same as getting a dentention for not doing homework or not making an effort in class.
    There are so many benefits to sport. Health, teamwork, enjoyment.... My involvment in sport strengthened my personal statement aswell. If you are not athletic enough to be competitive then I would advise you to try to get into shape as I am quite sure that there are sports out there which you will enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    "Those who can't do, teach. Those who can't teach, teach gym."

Jack Black you wise wise man.

ReputationRep:
    Football etc were ****. Pretty much had the small group of people that were great at most sports doing most of the "playing", followed by the average ones, like me, who occasionally did something useful but mostly ****ing around, to the fatties/nerds who were most likely put as "defence" standing around looking panicked.

Dodgeball kicked ass though, wish more places played it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mfc1993DP)
    This is so true. There is such a lazy attitude towards exercise. What I don't get is why some people who don't do any exercise need to eat so much. Its not like they're using up excessive amounts of energy and therefore working up an appetite.

And whoever said they got a detention for running too slowly obviously didn't try enough. This is the same as getting a dentention for not doing homework or not making an effort in class.
    There are so many benefits to sport. Health, teamwork, enjoyment.... My involvment in sport strengthened my personal statement aswell. If you are not athletic enough to be competitive then I would advise you to try to get into shape as I am quite sure that there are sports out there which you will enjoy.
    PE is an ineffective way of keeping the nation's youth fit as those who are sporty take centre stage whilst those who actually need to improve their fitness are kept afriad to take part as the jocks can make them fell bad whilst the teachers let it happen.

ReputationRep:
    P.E for animals??? well I guess you could say those animals would be fit and healthy as opposed to being fat and unhealthy animals.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PE's great at my school, we all have a great time although that's probably more to do with that the whole school is a very sociable environment than anything else, and I think living near a beach makes a massive difference to fitness levels (someone should do a survey on that)

oh, and also that we did a wider set of sports for PE, we're doing Judo at the moment which is surprisingly fun.

ReputationRep:
    Our P.E teacher is a pedophile. He talks to girls in a strange voice (like he tries to be sexy), doesn't respect personal space(hugs girls and also, when he is talking he leans over like a fu"king MANIAC). By the way, he is 56... (

ReputationRep:
    This does not happen at my school as we are streamed. As a person in the bottom group, I therefore get to play equally rubbish people. None of us are fat, we just don't care. Whilst the PE staff are not our best friends, they realise we don't care, so don't pressure us. The real PE staff go off and teach the high groups, while the PE staff who are other subject teachers who want to earn more (substitutes basically) do work on their laptops while we stand around talking in the cold if on the field, or stand around talking in the warm if in the hall. Good times!

ReputationRep:
    At my old school we only did PE once a week, for one hour. To be honest most people begged for more PE only if were doing football, everyone hated doing anything else but football.

However this one time when playing indoor football, the girls were trampolining at the other end of the hall. Ahh, boing, boing, boing. Good times.

:borat:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PendulumBoB)
    PE is an ineffective way of keeping the nation's youth fit as those who are sporty take centre stage whilst those who actually need to improve their fitness are kept afriad to take part as the jocks can make them fell bad whilst the teachers let it happen.
    I've said before that the real solution is to have sets like they do in the rest of the curriculum. An upper, middle and lower set for PE.

This would serve to push the sporty kids, to be the next generation of athletes, while at the same time attempting to improve the performance of the overweight/underweight/asthmatic/late developing/etc kids who would otherwise find the classes too difficult.

I think physical education should take a more health-based approach towards fighting obesity and unhealthy lifestyles. Providing the PE underacheivers with realistic goals, and letting them play sports amongst each other would help do this in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anfieldred07)
    Since your wondering it was South Holderness, on the outskirts of Hull
    I live near there! But to the north of Hull slightly.

(Not that this has anything to do with the thread, it just entertained me to find someone relatively local )

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.