Turn on thread page Beta

PE is a subject for animals taught by animals watch

ReputationRep:
    As someone who is academic rather than sporty I hated PE. For such people it is the one subject where you feel failure and there is very little you can do to improve.

It's fair enough I suppose, a bit of a reversal of roles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lexi99)
    Man up
    Seriously this! Rugby is a good way to take out agression in a sporting manner so go with it rather than being walked over. Yes some guys can be arrogant dicks, but make it part of the banter and brush it off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garethDT)
    As someone who is academic rather than sporty I hated PE. For such people it is the one subject where you feel failure and there is very little you can do to improve.

It's fair enough I suppose, a bit of a reversal of roles.

I thought this in yr 7 but then something clicked and I thought 'why can't I play sport and be academic'? You may not know it now, but sport can seriously boost confidence, something that will make your academic success more prominent (academics and no confidence is pretty unemployable). There are other ways to get confidence but sport is a good starting point (I found)

ReputationRep:
    The idea is to build character, teach you how to exercise safely and help key team building skills that ill help you in the future, if you can't complete cross country fast enough TOUGH get to the gym and lose weight.

ReputationRep:
    PE was brilliant. During cross country the route was near my house so I just went home for a bit and got some food and **** then got my gran to run me to the school.

ReputationRep:
    I have good memories of p.e, in year 11 it was basically 3 hours of 5 a side every week

ReputationRep:
    PE is essential, you have so many parents who have no desire to see their kids exercise or have any competitive nature, some kids don't discover sport until PE forces them. I know plenty of people who went to sixth form to continue in our sports team and went to uni as a result, so it does have some positives. The people who were generally bad at PE, were just losers, even if you don't practice a particular sport, a combination of generally decent fitness and the basic ability to know where your limbs are in relation to your surroundings means you should be okay at the least. The worst thing about PE was the blatant bias most PE have towards certain students, usually the ones on the teams.

ReputationRep:
    You're a puff. This is coming from a guy with cerebral palsy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daisydaffodil)
    I hated PE but I've got dyspraxia and spent a lot of the time being laughed at and feeling stupid.. I was taken out of it at age fifteen I think - I used to feel physically ill when going.. In P6 I once spent the entire lesson sitting on the table in the corner, sobbing because I hated it that much haha!
    When I was in Primary School, my mum had to drag me into swimming, I hated it so much. I found it so difficult and the swimming teacher was evil. She used to make us go down to the deep end even though i was scared cos i couldn't swim properly.(i was 8/9 at this point) I'm still a little nervous going in the deep end now.

(Original post by kerily)
    I actually agree. I'm autistic and dyspraxic, and have no depth perception so I see in 2D and have no idea how far away things are from me - as such, I am horrendous at physical co-ordination, can't catch a ball, don't understand team games and am understandably bad at PE. Did my PE teachers take all this into account and let me do something like jogging instead which would at least have let me keep fit? Did my PE teachers give me extra support so I could learn how to throw and catch? Did they ****. I was just left to the mercy of the other kids - who would complain massively about having me on their team (which I fully understand!) as I was so useless, which spilt over into bullying in real life. I tried telling the PE teachers that I wasn't just lazy or stupid, I actually had reasons for being horrendous at PE and would prefer to be allowed to do stuff on my own, but they just laughed at me I am so insanely glad that I don't have to do it any more - if you're good at it and popular I'm sure it's fun, but if you're not it's just legitimised bullying.

Not that everyone's experiences will have been like this, and not that I'm expecting sympathy, but yeah, PE in secondary schools definitely needs reforming, is my point
    I too am truly thankful i don't have to do PE anymore.
    Yeah PE needs changing, it's just an excuse for people to bully you and point out all your flaws without being punished. Dodgeball should be outlawed as it's basically just an excuse for people to throw balls at you.

Although i have never been identified as dyspraxic, i have truly awful coordination; i can't throw, i can't catch, i cannot for the life of me hit a ball with a rounders bat. Five years of that once/twice a week was torture, soo glad it's over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SAK.A)
    It's funny because when I was in high school I was very unhealthy and underweight. The P.E teacher use to see this and hurl insults at me, I was always the small guy in the changing room, the short, weak one. Now I have a proper diet and lift weights and could probably out do the P.E teacher in every way possible except maybe a long distance race. I'd like to see him compete in a 100m sprint then we'll see who ain't trying enough.
    THIS.

I was one of those people as well, and whilst I'm not a bodybuilder like you, I am fit and strong, and an impressive runner. None of which I was while I was at school.

I guess my point is you shouldn't assume that those kids at school don't change as they grow up. My sister was telling me last time I saw her that one of the serious chavs from her school was now working some steady job and taking responsibility, etc. The point is, people change.

EDIT: Talking of change, by Year 11 I really enjoyed PE. Mostly because we got to choose options (they knew we wouldnt turn up otherwise), so that meant I could choose rounders, cricket, and things that I was actually good at.

ReputationRep:
    I loved PE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PendulumBoB)
    Despite the title I am aware that biologically we are all animals.

PE, in normal school bullying is against the rules; in PE it's part of the curriculum. How many times did the bigger kid who would not be allowed to be violent towards you would tell you how he was "gonna take you out in rugby".

I remember how one of the sporty ones came into our changing rooms after rugby, his shirt covered in blood(Probably someone elses as well as his own) looking pleased with himself.

I actually got a detention for not completing cross country fast enough; speaking of which, remember how you used to have to run around a cold field in shorts, whilst the sports overseer(wearing a rather warm looking shellsuit) would command you to go faster. PE was terrifying, in the changing rooms people would show off their pubic hair or would "keg" a man as he bent down to put his socks on.

Discuss
    In all honesty, you sound like a soft sh*te.

Man up, PE teaches you more about life than any other subject does.

In school, whoever is academically gifted is the 'winner', in PE, whoever is sportingly gifted is the winner. It teaches a valuable lesson about the real world, where GCSEs can mean diddly squat and the bigger, tougher people rule the roost.

The only people who don't like PE are the kids who couldn't hold their own in a sport.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Dynamic Uno)
    You're a puff. This is coming from a guy with cerebral palsy.
    This post is full of win. +1 to you, sir

ReputationRep:
    Meh, I didn't think it was too bad, I enjoyed it most of the time; this was up until high school by the way. By the time I was 16 I was more interested in my education than my health; being a nerd didn't make this any easier

ReputationRep:
    I remember the changing rooms and someone would be picked for a good towel whipping(but with tshirts lol) one day our victim was confirmed so after the lesson everyone headed to changing rooms and waited the victim never shown up so it was a free for all frenzy of whipping. we all got into trouble was funny. wish I could go back there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    PE is essential, you have so many parents who have no desire to see their kids exercise or have any competitive nature, some kids don't discover sport until PE forces them.
    I've got to agree with this whole sentence, but it's the bolded part in particular that I find worrying. Whilst health and fitness is important, there are many fields of work which it doesn't feature significantly in. Competition, on the other hand, is essential.

I remember back at school there were a few kids who used to sell sweets after the canteen went healthy, I was one of them. This boy in my tutor group says something along the lines of 'why do you sell them for more than you bought them? That's unfair.' What kind of parent raises a child that comes out with **** like that? That's absolutely insane. It's a jungle out there, and that boy is going to have a serious shock.

What I also don't like is parents who teach children that 'violence never solves anything'. I suppose Churchill should have written a strongly worded letter to Hitler then? I think that attitude comes with the territory of not liking sports or competition, basically just being a massive pussy.

ReputationRep:
    PE was absolutely awful. Our PE teacher in Middle School was a horrible, overweight, bitter man who took pleasure in belittling anyone who wasn't good at sport. There was a boy in our class who had special needs (or whatever they call it now) and a lisp and he would imitate him in front of not only our class, but other classes in the school to make them laugh. He was horrible to me all year, except in the summer when we did athletics because I was actually good at it. After being called 'idle' and being forced to stand in front of the class until I could hit a volleyball over the net, it just felt ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilickbatteries)
    In all honesty, you sound like a soft sh*te.

Man up, PE teaches you more about life than any other subject does.

In school, whoever is academically gifted is the 'winner', in PE, whoever is sportingly gifted is the winner. It teaches a valuable lesson about the real world, where GCSEs can mean diddly squat and the bigger, tougher people rule the roost.

The only people who don't like PE are the kids who couldn't hold their own in a sport.
    Try 'holding your own' in rugby when you lack any depth-perception whatsoever and you'll realise what an utterly spurious comment that is. P.E. taught me absolutely nothing except to correlate physical fitness with abject misery.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Try 'holding your own' in rugby when you lack any depth-perception whatsoever and you'll realise what an utterly spurious comment that is. P.E. taught me absolutely nothing except to correlate physical fitness with abject misery.
    If you have a medical problem with your sight then you should have been excluded from P.E.

Why weren't you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mfc1993DP)
    This is so true. There is such a lazy attitude towards exercise. What I don't get is why some people who don't do any exercise need to eat so much. Its not like they're using up excessive amounts of energy and therefore working up an appetite.

And whoever said they got a detention for running too slowly obviously didn't try enough. This is the same as getting a dentention for not doing homework or not making an effort in class.
    There are so many benefits to sport. Health, teamwork, enjoyment.... My involvment in sport strengthened my personal statement aswell. If you are not athletic enough to be competitive then I would advise you to try to get into shape as I am quite sure that there are sports out there which you will enjoy.
    Some people have physical conditions that simply won't allow that. I would know. I think PE is important but it should be about encouraging kids to exercise, not ostracising and humiliating those who are less physically able.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.