Turn on thread page Beta

PE is a subject for animals taught by animals watch

ReputationRep:
    After reading some of these post's I'm glad I went to a performing arts school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizia)
    Why would I bother lying to strangers on the internet? And what makes you think that just because someone had a different experience to you, they must be lying? I had five PE teachers in my time at school, and they were all similar in terms of their tolerance for illness or injury. Having poor eyesight wouldn't have worked as a reason to get out of PE for them.
    You probably didn't have any luck then. I moved a lot during secondary and because of my friends and family I know about other schools around and I can tell you this doesn't happen. People who weren't that good at sport could play ping pong after playing a little a bit of what the PE teachers planned (eg: rugby, football athletics etc..). And it was the same in other places.

I admit PE teachers were a bit annoying and t***s. But they never would go that far and trust me the school that I went to was trouble (they got one of my teachers sent to prison). I even once had a bad leg and they let me go home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilickbatteries)
    Hardly over-idealised.

I think most people on here are grossly over-exaggerating their experiences in PE.

Given the sheer amount of emphasis on health and safety within schools, and how little it takes for a teacher to get in serious bother, I highly doubt that any P.E. teacher would force a student with a twisted ankle to keep running.

You're literally describing them as inhumane people whose only job was to make people suffer.

You also describe the girls who got hurt as being totally bent to the will of the teacher.

If you're hurt, you don't care about the shouting. You stop running or playing or whatever it is. That's the way it works. Where did you go? Borstal? Christ. :rolleyes:
    Agreed, my PE teachers were P****s but they would never be allowed to go that far. And I went to a school where one of my own teachers got sent to prison!:eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PendulumBoB)
    Despite the title I am aware that biologically we are all animals.

PE, in normal school bullying is against the rules; in PE it's part of the curriculum. How many times did the bigger kid who would not be allowed to be violent towards you would tell you how he was "gonna take you out in rugby".

I remember how one of the sporty ones came into our changing rooms after rugby, his shirt covered in blood(Probably someone elses as well as his own) looking pleased with himself.

I actually got a detention for not completing cross country fast enough; speaking of which, remember how you used to have to run around a cold field in shorts, whilst the sports overseer(wearing a rather warm looking shellsuit) would command you to go faster. PE was terrifying, in the changing rooms people would show off their pubic hair or would "keg" a man as he bent down to put his socks on.

Discuss
    You're school sounds horiffic...

I broke my leg in PE, had a full cast on up to my hip, and could barely walk on crutches. I didn't go to my PE lessons whilst I was in plaster, because I didn't think there would be much point in me playing rugby. Then one day my PE teacher sees me and starts shouting at me and threatening expulsion because I hadn't been to a PE lesson in a month. I did have permission to not go to them, but apparently that wasn't good enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJkG.1)
    Yeh obviously it's not nice at the time but this is a tradition man - think about it, you don't want to grow up and face the problems of adulthood having had a 'perfect' (I wouldn't say it's healthy hence the ' ' marks) childhood where you were exposed to no trouble whatsoever.

Rough play and mild bullying in the physical sense on the sports pitch or in the changing rooms builds character, it teacher kids to toughen up and watch their own back away from mummy and daddy, to stay out of trouble and to know their limits and what will get them into and out of trouble. There are actually very important social lessons to be learnt and that's why children should be left to interact together as occurs naturally.

And when you get into sixth form or leave school and remember those years of dreading the rugby captain dump tackling you in practice, or having some gang of kids threaten you and your mates and getting ready for a fight every time you enter the changing rooms... you think back with fond memories. I remember the ice people used to bring in from the pond in winters to chill their knuckles in preparation (numbs the pain) should something kick off. It's strangely nostalgic like that, but it's part and parcel of school culture. :yy:

Let's not make the next generation grow up as pansies by restricting what is natural behaviour amongst growing boys.
    This completely epitomises what is wrong with PE

ReputationRep:
    Someone I know used to get bullied in P.E lessons, it was horrible. Once they threw a basketball at her head.

Oh and the awful *****ing some of the girls used to do in the changing rooms! I don't really miss it at all!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizia)
    Talk about victim blaming. The behaviour people in this thread are describing is bullying, pure and simple. And with that bullying comes with the same problems as reporting regular bullying. If you suspect that the people higher up in your school won't really do anything more than a slap on the wrist, why would you bother reporting it and risk the teacher holding a grudge for the rest of the year? If that teacher is already making your life hell, why report them and risk things just getting worse?

I'm telling you what my experiences were. I don't much care if you 'highly doubt' they were true, since I know they were.

You seem to have completely forgotten what it's like to be a student and have someone in authority bully you and shout at you. Not everyone is as 'confident' as you and able to fight back against someone who can make their lives hell if they choose to. The girls who got hurt essentially were bent to the will of the teacher- if they didn't do what the teacher said, they'd be punished. And if they refused to do the punishment the PE teacher gave, they'd be punished by the people above them.

I didn't go to Borstal. I went to a very good grammar school, where the teachers expected you to do what you were told, and wouldn't tolerate you arguing back.
    Sounds like your good grammar school taught good manners but a complete inability to stand up for oneself.

Fantastic education. Brilliant, in fact. We'll teach you well, you'll get good grades but by the time we let you go at the end of 13 you'll be completely spineless.

You, and other students, should have stood up for yourselves. School is not a prison. Teachers are not omnipotent deities who can have you excluded for refusing to run with a twisted ankle.

You describe your school in a way I simply cannot comprehend.

I cannot understand how any school would allow their PE teachers to physically and verbally abuse students, and then punish them if they did not take the abuse. Seriously. I mean, I went to a bog-standard state comprehensive. Very middle of the road. I'd expect it from a poor comp but not a grammar school. That's madness.

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone else get PE reports, mine was just pure embarrassment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by derp)
    This completely epitomises what is wrong with PE
    And this tells a lot about the TSR population :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    P.E was fun in primary school. In secondary school it was miserable as I had no hope of keeping up.

PE, in normal school bullying is against the rules; in PE it's part of the curriculum. How many times did the bigger kid who would not be allowed to be violent towards you would tell you how he was "gonna take you out in rugby".

I remember how one of the sporty ones came into our changing rooms after rugby, his shirt covered in blood(Probably someone elses as well as his own) looking pleased with himself.

I actually got a detention for not completing cross country fast enough; speaking of which, remember how you used to have to run around a cold field in shorts, whilst the sports overseer(wearing a rather warm looking shellsuit) would command you to go faster. PE was terrifying, in the changing rooms people would show off their pubic hair or would "keg" a man as he bent down to put his socks on.

Discuss
    Well, one of my teachers at school once told me that, because I don't like football, I wasn't going to get anywhere in life. As it was I just didn't like football; I'd've been happy running or doing exercise that wasn't sport, because to me taking exercise is something to do, not to make a game of.

That teacher used to bully me something terrible, because I used my brain instead of my brawn. As it is, I'm not unfit, I take my exercise and whatnot, but I would rather be honing my mind than becoming a massive gripper - I've no use for an oversized body.

ReputationRep:

Discuss
    Reminds me of my own school you wouldn't happen to go to a school in Northern Ireland by any chance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilickbatteries)
    No, it doesn't show that at all.

Have you actually looked at their work? Seen what they do?

I've seen A2 Sport coursework. Their projects are 10,000+ words. The biology is decently difficult, but obviously not as difficult as A2 biology.

I dare say that you'd get a lower grade in Sport than you would in Biology. Sport is harder than Biology because for Biology you just need to learn the textbook inside out. For sport, you actually have to be a good sportsperson.
    I dont mean to be pedantic but PE is slightly different from sport science. Sport science prepares people appropriately for university. PE doesn't there isnt enough science in it. 40% of your grade being playing a sport? seriously? come one!!! you can't say thats right

ReputationRep:
    I love p.e Its hilarious when the teacher gives people a *******ing. Im fat but with enough effort i did what everyone else did.

ReputationRep:
    PE at our school was good. Our teacher was sound, not like the stereotypical maniacs you guys are describing, although he liked you a lot more if you did well in the cross country and did the running events after school. The people that sucked at sport didn't get bullied or anything, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Cornerstone)
    And this tells a lot about the TSR population :rolleyes:
    What, that the TSR population rejects the notion that institutionalised bullying is a good, traditional character-building exercise for "growing boys"? That the TSR population is horrified that boys are so brainwashed by the mad chauvenistic ethos of some crazy public school that they think back "with fond memories" on being threatened in the changing rooms, and that boys think that those who do not experience instutitionalised bullying will therefore grow up to be "pansies"?

Feel free to generalise my opinion to the whole of the TSR population; I really wish it WAS the general opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by derp)
    What, that the TSR population rejects the notion that institutionalised bullying is a good, traditional character-building exercise for "growing boys"? That the TSR population is horrified that boys are so brainwashed by the mad chauvenistic ethos of some crazy public school that they think back "with fond memories" on being threatened in the changing rooms, and that boys think that those who do not experience instutitionalised bullying will therefore grow up to be "pansies"?

Feel free to generalise my opinion to the whole of the TSR population; I really wish it WAS the general opinion.
    No, more simply that a bit of rough play and banter between secondary school kids is somehow equal to 'institutionalised bullying' , that being rough when playing or out of breath will traumatise kids throughout their lives, that people generalise their bad experiences to every classes in the country and to everything that's wrong about PE and actually suggesting changes in the system without thinking that maybe they didn't have any luck with PE teachers, and just generally making mountains out of molehills.

I was just messing about when generalising. But if it actually were then god help us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Cornerstone)
    No, more simply that a bit of rough play and banter between secondary school kids is somehow equal to 'institutionalised bullying' , that being rough when playing or out of breath will traumatise kids throughout their lives, that people generalise their bad experiences to every classes in the country and to everything that's wrong about PE and actually suggesting changes in the system without thinking that maybe they didn't have any luck with PE teachers, and just generally making mountains out of molehills.

I was just messing about when generalising. But if it actually were then god help us.
    Firstly I can see that we're probably never going to agree on this because you use the word "banter"...

But anyway, I know the difference between "rough play" and bullying, thank you very much. The guy I was quoting in despair refers to people being "threaten[ed]" in the changing room and icing their knuckles to "numb the pain" should they need to use them. He even calls it "mild bullying". I think it's rather more than mild - definitely not your average rough and tumble between schoolkids and DEFINITELY not equivocal to being "out of breath". What an absurd suggestion.

I actually had a good experience in PE lessons. My PE teachers were good. The other kids were good. I wish that everyone else had had experiences like mine, rather than experiences like the ones the guy I quoted describes. But well done for making a generalisation of your own.

What horrified me the most about that dude's post is the fact that he is actually "nostalgic" for that kind of thing. If enough people who experienced that have that attitude towards it, then it's just going to perpetuate. Just like fathers not so long ago who caned their kids, because they think it helped THEM "man up" when THEY were kids. If you can't see the problem with that then god help YOU

ReputationRep:
    The teachers were the worst imo.

ReputationRep:

remember how you used to have to run around a cold field in shorts

No-one forces you to do anything. Just wear tracksuit bottoms.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.