Turn on thread page Beta

PE is a subject for animals taught by animals watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PendulumBoB)
    Can't take a bit of banter; have you read the posts people have left here? People who are bad at sport get completely destroyed by their PE overseer and other students. I don't do PE anymore but when I did I was really into sport outside of school, even team sports such as football. The problem is that it (And your posts reflect this) Bullying or banter as some people like to call it is encouraged.
    Bullying/banter is part of parcel of being a lad.

Stop being so soft, man.

People who are a bad at sport get destroyed by their PE teacher? No.

If you're poor at sport, you'll be encouraged to do what you can to fix it, from something as basic as physical fitness to the top level of school sports.

It works the same way as being poor at maths or english, you'll be encouraged to fix it.

I think for a lot of academic kids its a culture shock. It's not something you can immediately pick up from a textbook. It's a learning experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rant)
    We'd usually have 3-4 teachers "checking" to make sure everyone showered - wandering fully dressed around a changing room full of naked boys. Kinky stuff.
    That was the best part of the day.

I particularly enjoyed it when the attractive female student teachers would do the checking.

ReputationRep:
    I hated PE at school. I was terrible at sport, not very popular and I've always been at the larger end of the spectrum (I was asked to leave my gymnastics class at the age of 11 for being too big) so I got absolutely ripped to shreds in PE, by other pupils and the teachers.
    Year 10/11 PE was ok because we never had to do very much, we either sat in the changing room or played table tennis/badminton.

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: 9/10, the title was excellent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilickbatteries)

Stop being so soft, man.

If you're poor at sport, you'll be encouraged to do what you can to fix it, from something as basic as physical fitness to the top level of school sports.

It works the same way as being poor at maths or english, you'll be encouraged to fix it.

I think for a lot of academic kids its a culture shock. It's not something you can immediately pick up from a textbook. It's a learning experience.
    It's not the same as maths or english, as if you don't do well in these subjects, far from being abused you get the work explained again or extra tuition. It is a culture shock; afterall if I make fun of someone for being rubbish at maths I'll get told off; in PE apparently I am building their character.

ReputationRep:

Stop being so soft, man.

A "lad"? Ugh. Throw yourself under a truck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rant)
    A "lad"? Ugh. Throw yourself under a truck.
    Not a 'LAD' lad, a typical young male, which is (at least in the North it is ) given the term 'lad'

ReputationRep:
    It's not the same as maths or english, as if you don't do well in these subjects, far from being abused you get the work explained again or extra tuition. It is a culture shock; afterall if I make fun of someone for being rubbish at maths I'll get told off; in PE apparently I am building their character.
    You get P.E. explained.

I made a point the other day on this thread that nobody gets abused by P.E. teachers in the sense most describe.

Purely because it would take just one, just ONE complaint by a parent and the teacher would be investigated. I know of teachers who after a complaint (nothing more than a complaint) have been suspended with pay, so it's not exactly hard to land a teacher in bother.

People on here look at PE in a bad light because thats how they want to see it.

I imagine some people look at maths class in the same way. Its usually those who weren't very good at sport and couldn't cope with not being very good. I've had nothing but supportive PE teachers throughout my whole school life.

ReputationRep:
    You get P.E. explained.

I made a point the other day on this thread that nobody gets abused by P.E. teachers in the sense most describe.

Purely because it would take just one, just ONE complaint by a parent and the teacher would be investigated. I know of teachers who after a complaint (nothing more than a complaint) have been suspended with pay, so it's not exactly hard to land a teacher in bother.

People on here look at PE in a bad light because thats how they want to see it.

I imagine some people look at maths class in the same way. Its usually those who weren't very good at sport and couldn't cope with not being very good. I've had nothing but supportive PE teachers throughout my whole school life.
    Firstly why would people lie on an online forum?

Secondly the problem is that this low level bullying can be passed of as banter means that it can be shown as a bit of fun. Teachers would close ranks if a complaint was made, afterall it's human nature to look out for your friends.

I accept that PE is a microcosm for the "real world" afterall there are winners and losers as well as those who can't be asked, but you can't use that to justify the actions of these people maybe you got lucky with your teachers; some people didn't and you should accept that.

ReputationRep:
    Is that your PE teacher?
    funny guy. I don't do PE do I...I'm in ****ing 6th form...........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d4nny)
    This does not happen at my school as we are streamed. As a person in the bottom group, I therefore get to play equally rubbish people. None of us are fat, we just don't care. Whilst the PE staff are not our best friends, they realise we don't care, so don't pressure us. The real PE staff go off and teach the high groups, while the PE staff who are other subject teachers who want to earn more (substitutes basically) do work on their laptops while we stand around talking in the cold if on the field, or stand around talking in the warm if in the hall. Good times!
    I agree.

There'd be the competitive guys, and then a group of people who don't give a **** and **** about lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Really? I thought it was just an excuse to have a game of footie for an hour.
    Seconded. This is all I did in PE.

Although I did love cross-country/800m/1500m.

ReputationRep:
    No it doesn't, but think about it unless you're really good and "lucky" you're not going to do well out of sport. If you're good academically, try hard go to a good university and you should be fine. Intelligent is one of the best ways to excel at life.

I don't care what the group of lads you call most men would prefer; those men whose wives watch x factor and kids dream of being a pop star as opposed to a doctor or lawyer.

Besides I'd sooner have the respect of a few academics whom I respect than be some ignorant monkey respected by other ignorants.
    You sound like a complete snob. Academia is not the only route to success in this world. Sure, it's the way I'm choosing, but I'm not myopic enough to think that my way is the only way.

And what's wrong with aspiring to be a pop star? It's difficult and in many cases irrational, but, for many, being a doctor is as well...

I respect David Beckham. He's hardly an ignorant monkey. Sure, he'll never perform open-heart surgery successfully, but then again, most surgeons and lawyers will never get a few million of the country to explode in delight when they score a last-minute free kick from twenty yards-and nor could most lawyers perform that task, either.

And I take offence at you insinuating that because I respect David Beckham, I'm an ignorant. In fact, I'm clearly not-and nor are many who respect him and his ilk.

Grow up. We need David Beckhams, Usain Bolts and their like in our society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vinchenko)
    Some schools do! I never once was allowed to wear trackies at rugby practice in 4 years, including when it was snowing....

Clearly we were riff raff at my school then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S129439)
    I agree with OP. It's a chance for all the mongos to get one over on the other kids. An excuse for bullying and a chance to look better than someone more intelligent for once. I'm no genius, but I'm much better academically than sporty. As a result, I got called a 'poof' for not giving two shiny s***** about rugby and constantly got told that people were going to 'nail me'.

Sounds a bit gay.

(Original post by SAK.A)
    It's funny because when I was in high school I was very unhealthy and underweight. The P.E teacher use to see this and hurl insults at me, I was always the small guy in the changing room, the short, weak one. Now I have a proper diet and lift weights and could probably out do the P.E teacher in every way possible except maybe a long distance race. I'd like to see him compete in a 100m sprint then we'll see who ain't trying enough.

(Original post by Uzzy?)
    Haha I disliked PE if it had anything to do with balls. On top of that my PE teacher had some sort of grudge against me!

I am petrified of balls and always think its guna hit me :ninja: still am tbh :sad:

inb4 'balls' :sexface: .. no just no :dry:
    Yes, but this is the thing-you're defining all P.E. by your subjective experiences. I loved P.E. Admittedly, I was always at the front in the cross-country, but I wasn't great at everything. We did Street Dance, and I'm a complete malco, but I enjoyed it as a new experience.

And I used to be a joke at football. In my primary school I was bullied relentlessly for my lack of ability. But I tried really hard, trained hard, and now I play for the second best youth team in the county, and scored thirty-five goals in a season. It is about effort, not just ability. And that you had a bad experience in PE, whilst unfortunate, doesn't mean that PE is just for ignorant degenerates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingMessi)
    You sound like a complete snob. Academia is not the only route to success in this world. Sure, it's the way I'm choosing, but I'm not myopic enough to think that my way is the only way.

And what's wrong with aspiring to be a pop star? It's difficult and in many cases irrational, but, for many, being a doctor is as well...

I respect David Beckham. He's hardly an ignorant monkey. Sure, he'll never perform open-heart surgery successfully, but then again, most surgeons and lawyers will never get a few million of the country to explode in delight when they score a last-minute free kick from twenty yards-and nor could most lawyers perform that task, either.

And I take offence at you insinuating that because I respect David Beckham, I'm an ignorant. In fact, I'm clearly not-and nor are many who respect him and his ilk.

Grow up. We need David Beckhams, Usain Bolts and their like in our society.
    Why do we need sportspeople they are nice to have but not a necessity?

ReputationRep:
    i loved pe! then again, i'm fairly athletic and can hold my own with the guys.

(Original post by kerily)
    I actually agree. I'm autistic and dyspraxic, and have no depth perception so I see in 2D and have no idea how far away things are from me - as such, I am horrendous at physical co-ordination, can't catch a ball, don't understand team games and am understandably bad at PE. Did my PE teachers take all this into account and let me do something like jogging instead which would at least have let me keep fit? Did my PE teachers give me extra support so I could learn how to throw and catch? Did they ****. I was just left to the mercy of the other kids - who would complain massively about having me on their team (which I fully understand!) as I was so useless, which spilt over into bullying in real life. I tried telling the PE teachers that I wasn't just lazy or stupid, I actually had reasons for being horrendous at PE and would prefer to be allowed to do stuff on my own, but they just laughed at me I am so insanely glad that I don't have to do it any more - if you're good at it and popular I'm sure it's fun, but if you're not it's just legitimised bullying.

Not that everyone's experiences will have been like this, and not that I'm expecting sympathy, but yeah, PE in secondary schools definitely needs reforming, is my point
    did your school have a policy where if you got a doctor's note to say you had these problems you could be exempt from certain PE activities? that's pretty messed up that you had to go through that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingMessi)
    Yes, but this is the thing-you're defining all P.E. by your subjective experiences. I loved P.E. Admittedly, I was always at the front in the cross-country, but I wasn't great at everything. We did Street Dance, and I'm a complete malco, but I enjoyed it as a new experience.

And I used to be a joke at football. In my primary school I was bullied relentlessly for my lack of ability. But I tried really hard, trained hard, and now I play for the second best youth team in the county, and scored thirty-five goals in a season. It is about effort, not just ability. And that you had a bad experience in PE, whilst unfortunate, doesn't mean that PE is just for ignorant degenerates.
    I wasn't implying PE is for ignorant degenerates, just because I didn't enjoy it doesn't mean everyone else has to dislike it too. I was simply stating my experience like others have done in this thread.

ReputationRep:
    Why do we need sportspeople they are nice to have but not a necessity?
    Okay, fair enough. But what I meant is that they allow those who aren't going to achieve academically to make a success of their lives-I mean, think about Wayne Rooney? Or Eminem? (Not a sports person, but a famous person that people deride as unintelligent/irrelevant etc) Or any other footballer/ famous person that droppoed out of school at 16/17 after years of underachievement, and used their talent to achieve to excessive levels? We do need that, because not everyone is going to achieve fantastically academically, and we don't want people who can't do Pythagoras's theorem or pass a Law exam to resign themselves to a life on the dole, or stacking shelves in Tesco's.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Uzzy?)
    I wasn't implying PE is for ignorant degenerates, just because I didn't enjoy it doesn't mean everyone else has to dislike it too. I was simply stating my experience like others have done in this thread.
    Yeah, fair enough. I just interpreted your comment as being there to support the OP's argument. Which it may not necessarily have been. Apologies.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.