Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

PE is a subject for animals taught by animals watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingMessi)
    Okay, fair enough. But what I meant is that they allow those who aren't going to achieve academically to make a success of their lives-I mean, think about Wayne Rooney? Or Eminem? (Not a sports person, but a famous person that people deride as unintelligent/irrelevant etc) Or any other footballer/ famous person that droppoed out of school at 16/17 after years of underachievement, and used their talent to achieve to excessive levels? We do need that, because not everyone is going to achieve fantastically academically, and we don't want people who can't do Pythagoras's theorem or pass a Law exam to resign themselves to a life on the dole, or stacking shelves in Tesco's.....
    It is a good thing when these sort of people get moneys (If somewhat hilarious); but aiming to be a sporting superstar or rap sensation is not exactly realistic. If it works out for some people then great. Sport is a good thing in my opinion but an environment which encourages bullying and unhealthy aggresion is not good for sport and is not good for students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PendulumBoB)
    Despite the title I am aware that biologically we are all animals.

PE, in normal school bullying is against the rules; in PE it's part of the curriculum. How many times did the bigger kid who would not be allowed to be violent towards you would tell you how he was "gonna take you out in rugby".

I remember how one of the sporty ones came into our changing rooms after rugby, his shirt covered in blood(Probably someone elses as well as his own) looking pleased with himself.

I actually got a detention for not completing cross country fast enough; speaking of which, remember how you used to have to run around a cold field in shorts, whilst the sports overseer(wearing a rather warm looking shellsuit) would command you to go faster. PE was terrifying, in the changing rooms people would show off their pubic hair or would "keg" a man as he bent down to put his socks on.

Discuss
    well i loved p.e. but i was always a bigger person. our rugby was never quite like that as we only did it in the low years and it was pathetic. i got annoyed at the cross country runners who walked though. as for the changing rooms i know what you mean though there are idiots. once a kind of popular guy who was attention seeking did it to me and i went nuts. i picked him up by the throat and slammed him on the floor yelling, "if you do that again i will rip your f****** face off!" not smart but i was pressed for time and didn't get kegged after that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PendulumBoB)
    It is a good thing when these sort of people get moneys (If somewhat hilarious); but aiming to be a sporting superstar or rap sensation is not exactly realistic. If it works out for some people then great. Sport is a good thing in my opinion but an environment which encourages bullying and unhealthy aggresion is not good for sport and is not good for students.
    But being realistic doesn't mean you shouldn't aspire to these things. If no-one did, then no-one would achieve them.

I agree with you on the second part. The environment does undoubtedly need to be changed. But that's not the problem of sport itself. A lot of sporting environments incorporate the competitive nature to just the right level. It's the issue of schools and teachers to deal with, and schools need to try and employ PE teachers that encourage all pupils-not just the borough champions and other athletes.

Calling PE a subject "for animals" may have just been to stimulate debate, I don't know. But if you meant it seriously, you're simply wrong. It's one that requires skill, can (despite people's protestations) be improved on, and others have outlined the many, many benefits when taught in the right environment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by giantlemon)
    well i loved p.e. but i was always a bigger person. our rugby was never quite like that as we only did it in the low years and it was pathetic. i got annoyed at the cross country runners who walked though. as for the changing rooms i know what you mean though there are idiots. once a kind of popular guy who was attention seeking did it to me and i went nuts. i picked him up by the throat and slammed him on the floor yelling, "if you do that again i will rip your f****** face off!" not smart but i was pressed for time and didn't get kegged after that.
    I agree with almost everything you said; PE at school is terrible the standard is poor as it's being played by footballers. As for the guy the changing rooms, fair enough, what kind of man would do such a thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Troll Toll)
    One of those ghastly comprehensives.
    what are you trying to say?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.