Turn on thread page Beta

How useful is joining a uni society committee? watch

ReputationRep:
    What the title says really....anyone who has been or is involved with one, what benefits have you gained from it? And how respectable does it look on a CV?

Thanks!

Aren't extra curriculars good in general? they show your sociable no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caoten)
    What the title says really....anyone who has been or is involved with one, what benefits have you gained from it? And how respectable does it look on a CV?

Thanks!
    You mean apart from financial discounts, freebies, benefits from club reps, being able to make decision rather than just take them, and having a good laugh?

It's largely down to personal development. Your course probably isn't enough to develop team working, communication, IT, numeracy and literacy skills, although it will cover some of these rather well. When you take on a committee position, unless it's a doss role, you get lots of practice in communicating through a number of methods, will probably have to deal with numeracy/literacy-based problems, and will inevitably involve team-working. It's also a great way to build up leadership experience.

In terms of how it looks on your CV, it shows thinking outside the box a little, taking initiative, doing something more than just a degree like everybody else on your course, shows commitment, and of course allows you to demonstrate how you've developed those mentioned key skills. Whether it impresses an employer for example depends largely on what the role is, for which society, and what you can say about it at interview. I've listed a good number of these on my CV, so I'm hoping it does some good should I need it to!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 30, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.